“Everything anyone could expect from an excellent hotel”
Review of Grand Canal Hotel

Grand Canal Hotel
Ranked #39 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
“Everything anyone could expect from an excellent hotel”
Reviewed December 6, 2010

My wife and I, plus two friends stayed at the Grand Canal Hotel during the 27th and 28th November respectively. We were all delighted by the excellence of this hotel and all related services.

Rooms were excellent, clean, warm and very comfortable. Room service was attentive and effective.
We appreciated the security practice on the use of lifts up to the rooms.
Restaurant and food was excellent and table service was outstanding.
We were most impressed by the willing helpfulness of your reception personnel,
nothing was too much trouble for them.

We would, without reservation, recommend this hotel to anyone interested
and we shall clearly be returning for another visit.

Hopefully during much improved weather conditions.

W. Clarke - Newtownabbey

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
GrandCanalHotel, Manager at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2010
Dear Guest

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and am glad the staff were able to assist you during your stay.

We continuously monitor our standards and services and any feedback provided, whether it is positive or negative, is welcomed.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback.

Yours sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Polish first
Co. Meath, Ireland
Reviewed December 6, 2010

We stayed in the Grand Canal Hotel on a whim last Saturday night as we were going to a birthday party on Fenian St that night and were travelling to Co. Clare the following morning - the snow and ice in our area threatened to curtail our journey so we figured the city would be more ice-free. I did a search online for hotels in the area with free parking and this hotel came top of the list.

Having never stayed in a Dublin hotel before, we weren't sure what to expect. Booking online was straightforward but on calling to confirm the free parking, I was informed that the underground car park was closed due to the weather and parking was first come, first served.

We arrived at 5.10pm and quickly discovered there was nowhere obvious to park without blocking anyone else. On our way out, we noticed a small section of footpath near the rear entrance to the hotel that was free, so we squeezed in there. We were lucky; another guest entered as we were parking and had to leave, parking across the road from the hotel. I wouldn't have been comfortable doing that and I really thought that with the huge incentive that is free parking, the hotel might have tried something to keep the underground car park open. It may have been flooded, in which case that's unavoidable, but we would probably have cancelled if we couldn't have parked our car in the hotel grounds.

Checking-in was with a lovely Irish girl at the front desk and she reassured me our car wasn't in the way where we parked. Our room was a good size, an ideal base for a couple like us visiting Dublin. Free wi-fi worked a treat and there were all the usual add-ons, with a chair and desk, large bathroom with a good shower; all deserving of 3.5 stars if anything. The bed was very comfortable and it was very quiet inside. It's worth noting we were on the car park side - from what I heard at the front desk next morning, you should avoid being over or near The Gasworks bar as fellow guests were kept up all night with the noise. That said, the lady at the front desk moved those guests to a quieter room for Sunday night, so they are obliging like that.

We ate downstairs in the hotel bar, an early bird menu that included a medley of starters and a main course plus tea or coffee for €13.50. It was all very good; our starters were many and varied and the mains (we had the salmon and turkey & ham) were top-notch, with a generous bowl of perfectly steamed vegetables included. Our waiter was very fast, attentive and friendly and I couldn't help thinking what a good impression he'd give someone visiting Dublin - to encounter a Dubliner as obliging as him could make someone's holiday (I don't remember his name, unfortunately). The only complaint I'd have with the bar though is that towards the end of our meal, they inexplicably turned up the music in the background, ruining any atmosphere in the place. We had planned to stay for a few drinks but abandoned that idea pretty quickly!

After a good night's sleep, we sat down to breakfast in the hotel at 9.30am. I'm a big fan of breakfast, but this one was just about average. The cooked breakfast had some good points (fried tomato, very good scrambled egg) but some were awful (dehydrated fried eggs under a heat lamp, the bizarre inclusion of rather dry potato bread and what I can only describe as bland jumbo "catering sausages"). I can only conclude that the people putting together this food actually don't like it themselves, since it seemed there was very little attention given to taste or freshness. Again, the staff were lovely, it was all edible and it wasn't all bad - fans of the continental breakfast were well catered-for. But the cooked breakfast would have been €9.50 (reduced from €11.50) and there is no way I would have paid that for it by choice.

However the so-so breakfast was the only minus point I could realistically give this hotel. It has friendly staff (they also checked our room after we checked-out when we thought we left our camera behind), pleasant atmosphere and ok, it's a good 20 minute walk to Grafton St so shoppers may get a taxi - but Merrion Square is close enough, as is the Aviva Stadium and the DART.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I appreciate you've taken the time to write about your experience following your recent stay with us - Thank you. As we're continuously monitoring our standards and services any feedback provided, whether it is positive or negative, is welcomed.

I apologise that parking was not available for you on check in. Normally this is not a concern for us as we have both a surface and an underground car park. However with the extremely cold weather we took the precaution of closing the underground section due to ice on the ramp. This was a temporary measure and I am sorry you were affected by it. I have passed on your comments regarding breakfast to the chef and he will address these.

We consider our guest’s comfort and overall satisfaction of utmost importance and we are committed to ensure these shortcomings won’t arise in the future and to always provide a high standard of service.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback and I hope we will have the opportnity of welcoming you again to the Grand Canal Hotel.

Yours sincerely
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I wanted to write on here as I have seen the last few reviews and I am so surprised by the feedback.
I took my partner hear for a surprise weekend to celebrate his birthday and we had an amazing time. We arrived early on the Saturday and although the room wasn’t ready (as it was 9am!) we were able to leave our bags and go off investigating the city.
We found the walk to Grafton Street area around 25 minutes however the streets were so icy we were having to take our time. It was so nice to have that walk in and out of the main area - and if we hadn’t liked that we would have booked closer to the city. I felt that the website listed in miles the distance to the attractions so in no way were we mislead.
I contacted the hotel before our arrival to inform them it was my partners birthday and they upgraded us to an executive room free of charge - which was so lovely.
When we came back to check in early evening we found our bags were already in our room - which we felt was clean and warm - and had a huge balcony!!!!!!
We loved the bar downstairs - as we got to pull our own pint of Guinness - which is great fun!
the staff were extremely helpful and assisted us with everything we needed - ranging from suggestions for shops/bars through to advice on getting to and from the airport.
my only criticism would be the pizza we had from the room service menu. It was not good at all and was a real disappointment, however the minute we explained it we received an apology and a full refund - so you cant ask for more than that.
Overall we had a fantastic trip to Dublin and would highly recommend this hotel to others- and would happily stay here again.
Thanks to the staff for making this trip so special :-)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

On behalf off all the staff here at the hotel I'd like to thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review - it's much appreciated.

Our main focus is our guest's satisfaction and I'm delighted to read that our staff were able to go the extra mile for you and you were able to experience our great service throughout the hotel.

Thank you again and we look forward to weloming you back to the Grand Canal Hotel on your next visit to Dublin
Belfast
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Went on the 'weekend' package as advertised in Belfast Telegraph to include 1 night's stay, trip to the theatre and 2 course meal. The coach down was really late on arriving at Grand Canal Hotel making it a mad rush to get dinner at 5.50 as curtain-up was 7.30. The two course meal was probably the worst food Ive experienced - cold and unappetising. i was with my daughter, it was a birthday treat for her, and we had to sprint from the coach to the theatre just to make it in time for curtain-up! Some guests were not so lucky and had to wait at the back until they could be seated. This is not good enough and the organisation is very bad. The hotel is ok and staff are friendly but really this package is not worth the money. It was overall very disappointing and for me not to be repeated.

• Stayed November 2010
GrandCanalHotel, Manager at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2010

We were very disappointed to hear you that you did nto enjoy the trip. The packages are very popular and we will continue to work on the timings to ensure that delays are not experienced again. We consider our guest’s comfort and overall satisfaction of utmost importance. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I would however like to give you my assurance that your feedback has been taken seriously and will be passed on to all Heads of Departments for rectification. We are committed to ensure these shortcomings won’t arise in the future and to always provide a high standard of service.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed November 21, 2010

The hotel was well located for me because it was right opposite my office. However, it was not very centrally located as we had to walk quite a bit to Dublin's hotspot - The Temple Bar. Staff was friendly and helpful and the hotel was pretty clean. However, the food menu was really short and left a lot to be desired. Even the soup that I ordered was not very tasty. The rooms were clean although a little small. All in all, it was an average hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to advise us your experience following your recent stay with us. As we're continuously monitoring our standards and services any feedback provided, whether it is positive or negative, is welcomed.

We consider our guest’s comfort and overall satisfaction of utmost importance and I’m therefore highly disappointed to read about the shortcomings that arose during your stay – I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused but have addressed it with the managers concerned.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Recently stayed in the hotel with my Husband for a weekend break. Upon arrival we were checked in without delay at the front desk. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We were impressed with the service at both breakfast and lunch. To my husband’s delight our visit coincided with the Ireland Vs South Africa rugby match...the Aviva stadium is within view from the hotel! Although we didn’t have tickets we were able to watch the match in the hotel bar where the atmosphere was terrific! After enjoying ourselves for a large part of the afternoon in the bar we decided to have our evening meal in the city centre, the receptionist was very helpful in recommending a restaurant and arranging a taxi for us. We’ll definitely be back again soon!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to advise me of your comments following your recent stay. I am happy that you enjoyed your visit and hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again.
We continuously monitor our standards and services any feedback provided, whether it is positive or negative, is welcomed.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights and i can gladly say that i am so relieved it wasnt any longer i had to stay there. Apon arrival we checked in at the desk in which we had reserved a room online. The woman who was checking us in was very rude and started talking to other people trying to check in.The people in front hadnt reserved a room just wanted a room and they got the room we had reserved, so we ended up staying in a disabled room.
When we got into the room the smell was disgusting, smelt like it hadnt been cleaned in atleast a month. And from looking at the dirty carpets and minging curtains which were green with mold and black with dirt the smell we could smell was right.This room obviously hadnt been cleaned in a long time.
The walls had chips missing out of them and the lamp shades were all scratched.
Even the view out of our window was terrible, it overlooked a small carpark and it was very noisey.

This hotel is more like a 2 star, way of a 3 star.
We tried to ring for room service for some food as we were very tired from travelling, we tried ringing 5 or 6 times and got no answer.
We went down stairs as we realised we werent going to get an answer and would have to go out somewhere for food, when passing the reception, to my dissappointment there was 4 staff members standing at reception talking, not doing anything at all and yet they didnt answer the phone.

On the hotels website it said 15 mins stroll away from the city centre and as we came to realise it is most definitly not, it took us atleast half an hour and we are fast walkers.

All this hotel seems to care about is making money as we saw on the room service menu (not that we got to order anything) that they charge 4 euros just for bringing one item up to your room. They certainly dont care about cleanliness or there customers.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience following your recent stay with us.
We consider our guest’s comfort and overall satisfaction of utmost importance and I’m therefore highly disappointed to read about the shortcomings that arose during your stay – I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. The reception can be very busy at times, particularly at the weekend, but this should not have affected you in the manner discribed. The rooms are maintained and cleaned on a daily bases and the manager in charge of this area has been advised of your comments. The room service phone as been redirected away from the bar on busy nights.
As we're continuously monitoring our standards and services any feedback provided, whether it is positive or negative, is welcomed. I would however like to give you my assurance that your feedback has been taken seriously.