“nice hotel”
Review of Grand Canal Hotel

Grand Canal Hotel
Ranked #39 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night following a week long tour with Vegabond tours. Good deal for the price. Rooms were not fancy but the were clean and well kept, not too small either. The staff was very friendly and helpful with suggesting that I take the Paddywagon transportation to the airport in the morning. I was even able to purchase a bagged breakfast that was ready for be prior to my departure. There is not a lot within close walking distance in terms of dining. I walked for about 30 minutes through the neighborhood and finally settled on eating in the hotel's restaurant, which was just fine. I would stay here again when I go on another Vegabond tour (the tour leaves from the hotel) but I would look at other locations closer to the action for a longer stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
SheilaBaird, Manager at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Hello
Thank you for your comments and glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are within a 10 minute stroll to the Grand Canal Dock area which has a number of food options. The city centre is also within 15 minute walk but I am glad you enjoyed the food here in the Gasworks.
Hope you do get a chance to visit again and join Vagabond for another tour. Thanks again for your posting.
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed May 7, 2014

The staff is helpful and accommodating; the food in the restaurant is good enough for hotel dining; the rooms are comfortable and clean. If you ask for a "back room" where it is quiet, they will put you there and you will get a good night's sleep. Compared to other hotels in the vicinity, the price is right too!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
SheilaBaird, Manager at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Hello
Thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed your stay. Do keep an eye on our website www.grandcanalhotel.com for the best available rates and offers. Hope you might get a chance to return soon.
Many thanks again
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for midweek break in April. We went to see War Horse at Bord gais Theatre. On first day we left luggage in room, walked into town. Got back in evening to find room very cold. In information supplied in room it stated heating comes on at 5 pm and goes off at 8. Heating didn't come on !! We informed reception. A receptionist brought an oil filled electric radiator and switched it on. We went out to eat and came back to find heater hadn't worked. At 9 o clock I went to reception. A member of staff said he would check boiler. Then heat came on. Same thing happened second day , heat went off at 9 in morning and room cold for rest of day. We feel this hotel is penny pinching. We think hotel is only suitable for people doing bed and breakfast

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank michael186470
Hello
Thank you for taking the time to send your feedback and I am sorry that your stay was disrupted in this manner. The heating is normally very reliable for the bedrooms so I have asked our maintenance team to check on this room specifically.
My apologises again for this fault. Thank you again for your comments.
Kerry, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2014

While a solid 3 star hotel this was a pleasant stay which was good value for money. Its a bit of a walk into the city centre (around 20 minutes) which is nice if you like a walk but something to keep in mind. The breakfast was nice enough although the food was lukewarm on both mornings as i arrived around 20 minutes before breakfast finished. I find this annoying as one should be entitled to a hot breakfast in my opinion! On the plus side the staff in the breakfast room were incredibly nice, kind and helpful. The room was nice if a little warm! There is an exercise room in the basement which is handy if you have an exercise routine.

Room Tip: If it is hot outside (rare enough phenomenon in ireland I know!) ask for a fan when you check in as...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Boodoctor
Hello
Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and have past on your comments regarding breakfast to the chef. It is something we will monitor.
Thanks again for taking the time to post.
UK
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Hi

I stayed at the grand hotel, I was a little hesitant as other reviews complained about the disco/dj noise till 2am - I didn't stay at Saturday night not sure if the noise is day specific?
+Ve
1.The room was clean and tidy on arrival
2. Bathroom and WC was spacious, with large mirror, most things in good condition. Good powerful shower with good hot water supply.
3. Has Iron, Ironing board, hair dryer, TV with internet, hangers, large writing desk, nice leather chair with foot rest.
4. I requested a quite room as I knew I was going to travel a lot and get up early - I could not hear the disco/dj - so that was great
5. Free internet/wi fi
6 Did not need to hand in your room key (swipe card) so you can go in and out of the hotel as you please
7. Room had a two layered window, window then space and another window this was good noise insulation from the road (you can still hear the traffic but noise is reduced)

-Ve
1. Shower was fixed no flexi hose and the extractor fan was bit slow so the bathroom steamed up quickly and bottom of bath looked a little bit worn out and toilet seat was not too stable.
2. The netting between the two windows was dirty.
3. The hotel is about 15/20 mins walk away from Trinity College, so for some of the attractions the other end of the Liffey river it's quite a walk - yes I know I could have taken a bus
4. One day the hotel called me 3 times from 6am when I picked up they said it was a wake up call so I told the person I never requested it - so balls up there!
5. Not sure about the area - When I first walked to the hotel just before the bridge the was a bunch of people just staring some in a bad way and this was about 5pm this made me feel unsafe - so for the rest of my stay I walked over the bridge and turned right and walked up the next road (same route as the bus) this was much more pleasant.
6. You need your room card to activate the lift - annoying

On the door there was a no smoking sign, is there a chance the hotel owners could put a sign saying if you are coming back late please show consideration to others and keep noise levels low (as people are so inconsiderate these days). One of the nights the couple living next door came about about 2am talking/arguing till past 3am!! so I was very tired the next day

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank InfoseekUK
SheilaBaird, Manager at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Hello
Thank you for your posting. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I have past on your comments to the management team for consideration and will certainly be acting on those that we can, particularly the error with the wake up call - for which I apologise sincerely.
The hotel is located in an affluent area of Dublin 4, along side the newly developed digital hub and traditional Georgian squares, so rarely are guests concerned about safety. I am sorry you were made to feel this way.
Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I should start this review with a fact I failed to notice when I picked the hotel; there is no air conditioning in the room. The heat is provided by radiators and the only ventilation is from the windows.

Immediately upon checking in I found the room to be extremely warm and the window provided minimal relief. Eventually the room cooled down but the there was a good bit of noise in the parking lot which made sleeping somewhat difficult. However, the lack of air conditioning is something that I should have noticed and is no fault of the hotel.

The main problem I had was the mattress springs had collapsed and turned sideways, so there was no support from the mattress, and when you moved the springs would poke into you. The next morning I spoke to the reception desk and they offered to change my room. Upon returning that evening I discovered they had upgraded me to the top floor suite.

The suite was an entirely different experience. There was still no air conditioning, but there were multiple doors that opened onto a private wrap around balcony facing the residential side area behind the hotel. There was a separate living room, 2 TVs, and plenty of windows. The breeze cooled the room off in no time and the view was amazing. Based on that experience alone, I highly recommend this hotel. They staff was very friendly and their service is excellent. You will definitely want to consider this hotel for your stay in Dublin!

Room Tip: If possible, definitely book the suite!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Werewolf82
Hello
Thank you for your comments. I am delighted that you were looked after by the front office team and enjoyed the upgrade. We have removed the mattress from your first room and apologise that it caused you such discomfort.
Thank you again for your time and hope we will have the opportunity of staying again.