“Really Noisy Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Spain
“Really Noisy Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2007

We stay at this hotel on Dec 2007 the room are not really special and the most disapointing is have a discoteque just down our room with full volume music during all night until 3 afterwards in the morning all turist buses with engines on loading tourist from 5 am.

Defenetly not a great hotel and not a pleasant stay.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The noise everywhere is like you are inside a discoteque or in a garage
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cocolizo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Polish first
Stewartsville, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2007

We stayed at the Grand Canal for our first two nights in Ireland. I have to say we bought a GPS for the trip and we would have never found this hotel without the GPS. (But we would not have found many places in Ireland without the GPS). The hotel was very clean, the room a good size and the bed was very comfy. Breakfast was just OK but it was included in our stay. They have a hot buffet with usual Irish breakfast fare and a cold buffet. I do think this hotel is a little bit too far from City Center. It was a good 20 minute walk with not much to see on the way. There is a metro stop close to the hotel but their metro takes you along the outside of the city center so its not worth it to get on. Also, there were many bus stops along our walk to the city center but they didn't go to many of the top tourist spots. You had to take a bus to city center and then get on a different bus. In Dublin we loved the Guinness tour and spent both nights in and out of the bars in Temple Bar which are alot of fun. The best restaurant we ate at was Gallagher's Boxty House in Temple Bar.

• Liked — Nice clean room with fluffy comfy bed
  • Disliked — Too far from the city center
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank samandjay
Toronto, On, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2007

I stayed at the Grand Canal from Nov 15-17. It was a cute little hotel that was far away from the city center. The rooms were very clean and the staff was very kind. Ireland has the nicest people! If I have to go back I would stay closer to Grafton Street or Temple Bar area. The hotel from the city center is about a 20 min walk which could be annoying after a long day. I mean you can always take a cab back they are very accessible in Dublin but expensive. Dublin is a great city!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2007

The Grand Canal Hotel is beautiful and functional - service is efficient, the rooms are tastefully decorated and there is a high level of security (you need your room key to use the lift). Bathrooms are clean with a lot of toilettries, and the beds are comfortable. Room Service is (as expected) a little pricey - but very tasty, and breakfast (hot buffet) is excellent. The bonus was that it was served until 11 on a Sunday.

It _is_ 15 mins walk to Grafton Street, but it's a pleasant walk, and if you are there as a tourist, you can always stop and catch the City Tour bus a block down the road (14 Euro for 24 hours).

I would happily stay there again.

• Liked — Ambience - very homely
  • Disliked — No mini bar in standard rooms - but there is a vending machine.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2007

I have just returned from 2 nights at the Grand Canal Hotel in Dublin. I have stayed in several properties in Dublin and this hotel was the one I liked the least. I have so many complaints that I don't know where to start.

Front Desk Staff - Extremely rude and unhelpful. Whenever I asked a question they answered me in a tone of voice that suggested they were annoyed that I was asking them. Also, they really need to learn better english if they are going to be dealing with the general public on a daily basis.

Rooms - I can't speak for all the rooms but the one I was in was terrible. It was on the street side so I hardly slept all night. I could hear vehicle and human traffic all night long and at 5:00am I was treated to the sound of large tour buses loading up their passengers. I was so desperate to sleep that I put my headphones in and stuck the pillow over my head. The only other problem with the room was the bed, it was really hard.

Location - The hotel is in the Ballsbridge area of Dublin so you have to take a cab or bus to the city centre if you are not driving because it is not within walking distance. If you are in good shape you could walk to the National Library or Archealogical Museum. Not the best location.

Laundry - This is my number one complaint. I was charged 52.00CAD for washing 5 items. I was not driving and there was no laundry facilities in the immediate area so I had no choice but to use the hotel laundry. I feel really ripped off. It would have been cheaper to buy a couple of new shirts and hand wash clothes in the sink. Shame on them.

I would not recommend this hotel unless you like hard beds, long walks, rude people and loud noises.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed November 2007
1 Thank Spoiled5starTourist
Chinawhitegirl, General Manager - Grand Canal Hotel at Grand Canal Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2007
Dear Trip advisor,
I am very disappointed to read of your recent experience during your stay with us. All comments whether negative or positive are appreciated, I would be most grateful if you would contact me at the hotel to discuss your comments in more detail.

Kind Regards

Kirsty Fallis
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2007

Finding a relatively cheap hotel in Dublin was tricky, but we found the Grand Canal Hotel, which wasn't too bad price-wise. The room was clean and spacious, and nicely decorated. The bathroom was nice and modern, and it had a bathtub.

It wasn't extremely central, but it was close enough to be able to walk into town. The sightseeing buses went from Merrion Square, which was pretty close. There was a DART train station pretty much just outside the hotel, which was great. It meant we didn't have to walk very far with luggage.

Kitty O'Shea, the pub/restaurant next adjacent to the hotel was great. Good food and good value. We didn't go to the "real" pub restaurant, because we felt it was a little too pricey for our budget. We also didn't have breakfast at the hotel, as it was extra. Instead, we bought our breakfast while walking into the city, which worked out cheaper.

• Liked — Clean and fresh + the pub next door was great
  • Disliked — A little bit out of the way
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled as a couple
Lisbon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2007

Nice quiet and clean hotel 20 mins. walk from the city centre.
There’s a Dart stop next to the hotel, but it’s cheaper and quicker to catch a bus on Mount Street Lower, across the canal (buses 4, 5, 7 8 and 45 take you to Trinity College in 5 mins.). The bed was comfortable but the room needed more drawers. The hairdryer was hidden in a drawer! Breakfast was okay. We were really glad to get a quiet room in Dublin.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple