“Convenient stay in Dublin”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of ABC House

ABC House
Ranked #25 of 162 Dublin B&B and Inns
Casper, Wyoming
“Convenient stay in Dublin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

We used this as our first and last stop on our trip to Ireland and it was everything we needed. Clean and comfortable rooms and convenient to the airport (the bus stop is right outside the front door). Breakfast is not included with the room, but there are plenty of options close by for food. Running and bike trail is right outside the front door to take you to downtown Dublin.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

I was attending a function in the Ivy House across the road so I stayed here on Saturday 31 May 2014 in Room 2 and it was a nightmare, we were woken up by the people staying in the room above us @ 7:30am from them walking around and the floorboards were constantly squeaking for 2 and a half hours, when I complained I was told they had to leave early but this was not the case because they were still walking around when I checked out @10am. The Television did not work and there were no blinds on the windows only curtains so all the light came into the room so with no choice I checked out @10am because there was no way I was getting any sleep. The 2 girls I met said "MARY" the owner was not around and she didn’t seem bothered by my complaints which didn’t go down well with me. Also the radiator in the bathroom looked like it had dried vomit all over it which is disgusting. I would not recommend this B&B it cost us €65 for 4 hours sleep and breakfast was not included in this price which is very expensive for such a noisy premises. Also I was told I could park my car out on the path which I did only to find it distroyed in bird dirt which cost me €19 to get cleaned.

2 Thank Nicola S
Osnabruck, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here the last three nights of our journey through Ireland. Our room was okay it was extremely warm in there and the heater in the bathroom was running. Unfortunately there was no way to turn it off. Breakfast is nice and the staff is helpful. I never got to meet the actual owners though which was a little weird. If you are in Dublin and looking for something close to the airport this BnB is a good choice.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
WV
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

We also never met Mary and only briefly met the staff who were helpful when we informed her the shower drained slowly. Breakfast is an additional fee, and we opted out, so we never met anyone else during our stay, quite different than any other bed and breakfast I have ever stayed in. As well we are older folks and had a room at the top of the steps which made getting our luggage to our room quite difficult. The bathroom ceiling is peeling and the towels were not very big. The TV was difficult to figure out but as Mary said in a different review, they are working to fix that.it is not a hotel for a person to stay in if they want a real feel for Ireland as it does seem quite lonely in the place. However it is clean and convenient to both the airport and to downtown Dublin. I would give it a seat to a be minus rating with the caveats listed above.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

My flight into Dublin got in early afternoon, and I'd called ahead to make sure I'd be able to check right in. The answer was yes (not the situation everywhere I went, and I'm looking at you, Aberystwyth), and I was actually greeted by name, a friendly "we were expecting you" that was quite welcome. The hotel website is more than thorough with accurate directions, down to the exact fare you'll need to get there from the airport. ABC was probably the easiest place to find of everywhere I stayed on my trip to the British Isles. Downtown Dublin is about fifteen/twenty minutes away, and the bus into town stops right across the street, near an off-licence where you can buy a (sadly expensive) transit pass or pick up some snacks for evening munching.

As is usually the case for me for some reason, I found myself booked into a room on the top floor in the second building over: once you enter the lobby, you hang a left through the lounge/dining room to the stairs. there's actually a second entrance door with (I think) a different address. The room was clean, if a bit dark, and there was a hole in the drywall ceiling of the toilet, but no problem with the facilities. TV was a bit small, and I needed to be shown how to turn it on, as their system is basically a three-step process.

My stay at the ABC was perfectly fine, though as I say in the title, I seemed to be alone most of the time. The woman who greeted me was the niece of the owner, I think, and I saw her maybe one other time over three days. I did run into the owner one morning, fortunate as I needed to sort out payment as I had to wake up at stupid o'clock to catch the ferry to Holyhead on Tuesday morning. I paid that morning, and as per instructions left my key in the door to the room as I let myself out. The place was clean and well-maintained, but other than what I've described, it seemed to be run by ghosts. One evening I arrived back at the house to find a befuddled French couple trying to follow email instructions on how to open a lockbox to collect their key. I got it open for them, and they let themselves in to the second entrance. I kinda think there should have been some staff on site to let them in; it wasn't *that* late.

Anyway, that's my only qualm. The ABC House is in a sort of perfect location, out of the city centre but not too far, clean and comfortable. It was a good place to crash for three nights as I began my holiday.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Greg P
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

We stayed here for two nights recently and found the hotel to be clean and comfortable and as you would expect for a B&B of this price.

We arrived with no staff present and followed the instructions for entry as advised by Mary. We entered OK and the key was in our door for our arrival. We saw cleaning/breakfast staff on the two mornings we were there and may have seen Mary on one occasion, however she did not speak to us at all.

The location is OK, we took bus number 16 from the bus area at the airport which dropped us off pretty much right outside of the B&B. It cost 2.60 Euros per person for the 25 minute journey. To get into the city centre (O'Connell Street) it costs 2.35 Euros per person, per way and you can take various buses which all go to the city centre.

All up - we were happy with the room, however found the lack of staff to be quite disappointing and this could be difficult for guests who like to ask questions and have someone around.

If you are staying a while and travelling into the city centre daily - maybe try looking somewhere closer to the city centre and paying a little more, as you may end up paying the difference on bus fare's if there are a few of you.

1 Thank TravellingTTs
Charleston, West Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

For the most basic part, this was an OK place to stay. The convenience of having the bus stop right outside the door was a definite positive. However, I did express a few issues with Mary, whom I started to believe didn't exist. We didn't get up early enough for breakfast, so these problems could not be discussed until checkout.

First: The bedroom door has to be locked from the inside using the key. I had a TERRIBLE time trying to unlock the door EVERY morning. It took about 3 or 4 minutes to get the door to unlock. I explained to Mary that had there been a fire, my friend and I would have died. This issue seemed to be the only one she cared about and said she would look in to it.

Second: Every evening when I was there, no one else was. I told Mary during checkout that if another person at the house were to attack someone, there was no one on site to try to stop it or call the police. I felt a little uneasy when I was on my iPad in the sitting room and two gentlemen came around the corner unexpectedly.

Third: I only saw a worker at the house twice. Both times were in the mornings during breakfast time. Once was when I asked to have a taxi booked for early the next morning. The other was during checkout. ALL other times- including when my friend and I arrived, there was a note on the door, from Mary, saying she had stepped out for a moment. However, no one ever returned until morning.

Fourth: There was a small but notable problem with the taxi reservation. The young lady who worked there told me she could reserve a taxi for 6:15 the next morning. When we returned for the evening, of course- no one was there to ask if it had been done. There was also no note on our door or in the room to verify the reservation had been made. It was imperative that we had a taxi at that time, so we had no choice but to call and reserve one to be safe. Unfortunately, the next morning, there were two taxis waiting.

Fifth: We had NO idea how to work the satellite TV... and there was no one there to ask for assistance. Finally, on the morning of the last day, we figured it out.

In the end, if you don't mind staying somewhere with no worker on the premises- this place would be fine for you. As for me, if I were to come back to Dublin, I will stay at the Best Western next door. In fact, we hung out there at the restaurant the last two evenings we were in Dublin any way.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Vicks30
abchouse, Owner at ABC House, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Thank you, as I explained when you were checking out, I had been away for a few days. I was grateful for your information about the lock on the bedroom and have since changed that. As I explained my niece who helps me run the B&B was there every morning from 7am to 2pm and again from 5pm to 9-10pm in the evening. We live on the premises and at all times there is a contact number for us if we are not home. You asked that a taxi be booked and this was done. We are in the process of changing our TV and internet provider and I admit there was a problem with the TV's while this was been done, this is also resolved. Thank you again for your comment.

Mary