“Cozy hostel, nice host.”
Review of ABC House

ABC House
Ranked #28 of 150 Dublin B&B and Inns
Bucharest, Romania
“Cozy hostel, nice host.”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed for one night, 4 in a 4-people room. The host took time to explain some about the city, how to get to the center, what to see & stuff.
The disadvantage is the distance from the city center.
We also had an issue with the payment. We booked the room online, so we prepaid 10% and in the end they were asking for 100%. However I told them about the online booking, they checked and we paid only the remaining 90%.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alexandra S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My girlfriend and I try to book a couple of weekends each year, just as a small break of everything. Before we go we always meticulously search for a place to stay, within our price range and that has some good reviews. This one was spot on! We knew we would be arriving late, so I sent an e-mail to Mary. Who quickly replied that it would not be a problem to arrive late in the evening. We would meet her at breakfast the following morning.

We loved the entrance. At the entrance was a nice little info stand with stuff to do in Dublin and surroundings. It has these little cards, which give you a discount at some of the attractions.

The room itself is somewhat old, but was well maintained. Like stated in earlier reviews, the walls are quite thin, but that didn't bother us. The shower is awesome. TV was tiny, if that is something you value, we didn't mind. Sleep was good, although my side of the bed had some old springs, which made the bed sag a little. Not that much of a problem if you sleep on your back, but I sleep on my belly. Otherwise does what we want from a room: Sleep & shower.
Breakfast was good and Mary was busy constantly refilling what was there. She offers you hot breakfast, toast and so on. You're well taken care of.

If we visit Dublin again, we will definitely return here!

Some tips for other visitors.
- If you fly into Dublin: Take bus 16 or bus 41 to the city center. Ask the busdriver to give you a shout at "Opposite of Skylon Hotel". Busstops in Ireland work by stop-numbers, which prove to be very confusing for us.
- Just outside of the guesthouse there is a busstop which takes you into the city center in 10 minutes. You can buy a "rambler ticket" of "family ticket" at the Spar across the road.
-Across the road there is "The Ivy House". A modern pub with great atmosphere, be sure to visit it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Thank you ABC! Yesterday I attended a Seminar at Croke Park and back in July I'd got an amazing deal at the Croke Park Hotel for Tuesday night- except that when I arrived it turned out the online booking agency had run off with my money and cancelled the booking - I'd been scammed good and proper! (And I'm not the only one, it seems). Not only was the Croke Park Hotel full (and told me that my problem was absolutely nothing to do with them) but I was told I'd be lucky to find a room at 6pm in any Dublin Hotel!

Fortunately I remembered the ABC just down the road where I'd previously stayed 2 years before and where Des had made me very welcome. Thank goodness, they were able to offer me a room + breakfast for €40 which softened the blow of my financial loss. As before, the en-suite room was clean, quiet and had everything I needed for my overnight stay including tea making stuff, TV and a hairdryer. The lady who met me on arrival was friendly and courteous, and I met Mary at check-out. Breakfast was basic but fine (although some fruit would be great - that would have been 5 stars) - I quite like not being fussed over in the morning, and I would rarely eat a cooked b'fast anyway, but I could see this not being everyone's choice.

Last time I parked the car in their car park which is accessed via a narrow lane at the rear - this time I parked on a side street 30 seconds walk away. Croke park is walking distance or a 10 mins drive.

So thanks ABC for being there. Next time I won't bother with any special hotel deals - I'll just book straight with yourselves. Cheers!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Do not stay here! ABC house does not honor the online price that I booked. They ended up charging me more than double the rate of my reservation. It was extremely dishonest and misleading. Furthermore, the room was musty and there was mold in the shower. Do not recommend

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank dave m
abchouse, Owner at ABC House, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dave M was not charged double the price as She says. She booked a single occupancy room but when she arrived she was accompanied by another person. She was informed that she would have to pay 50% more for a twin room. She was happy to do this and she happily paid to me the additional 26.00EUR on departure the following morning.
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Mary is so well organized and manages well with the 3 houses - well done! Even before you arrive on the Irish land you will receive by email the code for the door of the house where you will stay. Rooms are so cosy, comfortable and clean, that you could stay all day! Perfect for the winter as it is sometimes a bit warm. I always succeed to have the same room, which I love! And Loylty is rewarded! :) (I go regularly) - A lift by cab is 9 euros, and its on the way to the airport (15 minutes early morning)
Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank EmeraldIsle1703
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed a total of 4 nights at Mary's B&B and enjoyed every minute we were there. The rooms are lovely, clean, fresh and reasonably large. The first 2 nights we were in a downstairs room, the other 2 nights we were up 2 flights of stairs - this didn't worry us, however, some people may struggle with heavy luggage up the stairs. Fantastic location - 3minute bus ride into town or a 20 minute walk which is lovely to do. All staff very helpful and accommodating.

Room Tip: Ask for downstairs if carrying luggage upstairs is an issue