“perfect for our needs”
Review of DCU Rooms

DCU Rooms
Ranked #38 of 120 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed August 26, 2013

my son was doing a 2 day course in dublin so i was looking for somewhere that would not break the bank. this was perfect for us. i would drop him off early in the morning and then do my own thing. i did not need a plush hotel as we were really only sleeping there. the twin room was spacious enough and immaculate. the shower was perfectly fine and i was pleased to see toiletries were supplied. the telly was small but had many channels. Plenty of storage available. there was a shared lounge for dining which was huge and again, immaculate. 2 bins for waste disposal. a big fridge and we put our milk etc on one shelf and it was not touched. A kettle with cups (tea, coffee sugar etc provided), a toaster, microwave and oven all available. We just got takeaways. When i dropped my son off at his course in the morning, i was delighted to be near glasnevin cemetery and the national botanical gardens - more highly deserving a visit and are free. This place is also near ikea. However, if you do not have a car, and are in a house far in, you might have the bones of a 1km walk in and out. The bus stop is just at the entrance making it perfect for tourists. 2 quibbles, there was a lot of ramps and i felt for my poor car hopping up and down from them. Also, the wi-fi did not work - i had seen on trip advisor that many people found this so i had brought back up in my own. Overall, perfect for this trip, safe, clean, accessible and reasonable. will return

Room Tip: we were in house 17 - cant complain. happy to go back to it again
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mona31
There are newer reviews for DCU Rooms

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

OK for what it is, and cheap for a Capital city. In some respects it may be better if the communal areas were only opened up to block bookings where the flat is being shared by the same party. In ours, somebody had left the sink full of dirty crockery, the smelly bin open, and unhygienic looking food in the fridge. The flat was also stunk out by somebody else's cooking. This annoyed me, I would rather they just gave us a room in a flat where the communal area was locked rather than used in an inconsiderate way by others. 10 euro PER SESSION to use the gym, not allowed to use it at all at peak times including most of the day time & evening! This is a massive rip off when you consider that it costs £19 a month for membership of a 24hr gym in the UK. It is also a con to advertise the accommodation as having facilities you are effectively barred from using by the combination of price and time restrictions. Our room was not available until 3, we sat in reception from 2, no effort was made to check if the room was ready, they were quite happy to make us sit there until the dot of the appointed time, which is really poor service. No explanation of breakfast facilities was given. We found the place and were charged 5 euro for a cooked breakfast, which was OK. WiFi in communal areas is free, passwords are at the main desk. Our room was on the ground floor by the main door into the block, it had no net curtain, so we had to keep the blind down 24/7 for privacy. Room was clean and serviced daily. Complementary shower gel and soap, plenty of towels but not enough pillows. Overall, a bit crappy, but cheapness and cleanliness saves it from a lower rating.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here for studying abroad at DCU with CIEE. This place is the worst. Looks nothing like any of the photos they posted online. Imagine it much dirtier with spaghetti sauce stained curtains and stained carpet. The two couches are so disgusting and stained, I couldn't bear to look at them, let alone sit on any of the couches. Reading these comments, previous people could not be more right with the screaming Italian students shouting and playing football in the courtyard at all times of the night. If you like a peaceful night sleep, this is not the place for you.

DCU is so far away from city center, (20-40min bus ride), with very limited dining options. If your lucky enough to catch the one restaurant open, then lucky you! We went in there multiples times at 5pm or 6pm, and they were like, oh sorry we aren't serving food now, the chefs didn't feel like coming in to work today. Literally, no other place to eat on campus. We had to walk to the gas station 20 min away.

We unfortunately stayed her for almost 4 weeks, and from start to finish the fire alarm in the hallway went off sporadically, at all hours of the night and day. We completed 14 maintenance forms, with the guy never coming to fix it but somehow saying it was 'fixed'. On the very last day of our stay, a guy came and changed the fire alarm battery. Well that's convenient! Staff is not helpful and the lack of communication between the people at the front desk and the maintenance staff is just sad!

We only had our towels and sheets changed one a week and every "fresh" towel absolutely reeked of body odor. If you ask for a different towel or an additional towel, they will deny you. You are only allowed 1 towel - what kind of hotel is this?? Same with a small square of soap.

The maids are rude. Someone spilled somethings sticky on the floor, and when they came to take out the trash I asked if they could clean it. The maid went and got a mop and held it out, and said, "clean it yourself." ????

My advice: Avoid this place at all costs!

Room Tip: Definitely avoid Hampstead house if at all possible. Soccer courts behind the dorm, with people pla...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Elly C
DCU-Summer, General Manager at DCU Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear Guest,
Firstly, I wish to thank you very much for taking your time to review your stay here at Campus Residences. I am sad to here that you did not have an overall pleasant stay.
I am very disappointed that we did not have the opportunity to discuss the issues raised while you were staying here at Campus Residences, so in order to make your stay more comfortable.
I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at your convenience to discuss your review at mary.cunningham@dcu.ie

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The place is great for people who don't have a lot of money to spend on hotels.
However, there are some bad points:
1) No heating during summer (in my case, I am from Brazil and their summer is like our winter, so I was really freezing during the night). The staff is really not helpful on that. They kept looking at me as if I was a very exotic and strange person who should get used to sleeping with a thin duvet when it is only 7 degrees celsius.
2) No wi-fi!!!! Only cable internet in the rooms. If you are a Mac user, go somewhere else.
3) Far from city centre - few places to eat around.
4) Shared kitchen - I bought some things for dinner and it was stolen. Someone ate it all! The accommodation does not take any responsibility for that.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank tatiana-sanches

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and the time you have taken to give us this detailed feedback.
I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay in Campus Residences.
We do our best to ensure that our guests have the most pleasant and comfortable stay as possible.
I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at mary.cunningham@dcu.ie to discuss your review in detail.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

So I checked in and according to the website the ''rooms'' had free wifi, and TV and the complex had a Swimming Pool. In reality no TV available at all unless you want to watch sports in the Students bar. No wifi either but you could hire a cable for €5. There was a Pool but a swim costs €10!! The room was tiny and for the money not worth it. They wanted €35 per night for a tiny single room with no TV, Wifi, Towels etc etc. I got a refund and ventured a mile up the road to the Travelodge and got a spacious Double room with the expected additions for €39. It's Student Accommodation and I suppose if I was 18-20 it'd be fine.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank LennyL542

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time to write to us. I am very disappointed to hear that you did not stay with us in Campus Residences Ltd. I am disappointed that CRL didn’t fulfill all of your expectations. As stated in our website “Broadband is available in all bedrooms at no extra charge. Contact reception on arrival for details.” We do not offer wifi. “For a small fee you can also relax for the day with our special day pass which will give you access to the fitness, spa and leisure centre.”
All standard rooms do not have TV, but do offer towels along with bed linen and pillows.
It would be of great assistance if you could let me know what website you ascertained your information on Campus Residences before arriving here, in order for Campus Residences to make the necessary changes.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

In our 40s we found the noise from the younger generation coming home at all hours of the morning, drunk, singing etc a bit much as we need our sleep :-) but for value for money, as it was one of the cheapest places to stay in Dublin, it wasn't too bad. Our twin room was tidy, though the bathroom had quite a few leftover hairs from previous occupants. The beds were tiny, my husband who is 6 foot, slept with his feet hanging over the end of the bed. The beds were also very hard, so great if you have a bad back, but if you want a comfortable nights sleep I wouldn't recommend. I think this is a great place for younger people who don't mind the walk to the bus stop and others coming back drunk at 4am. The pool and gym facilities looked great, though we didn't use them. Free internet access is only available in the common areas such as the reception. We found the reception staff very helpful and friendly. So if you are looking for a basic, cheap room, this place does the job. Dublin is a great city to visit and there is loads to see and do.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SassyTraveller111
DCU-Summer, Manager at DCU Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you for your feedback on your stay here at Campus Residences DCU.

It is a pleasure to read that the you found the staff helpful and hard-working, we do our best to ensure a relaxing stay for all our guests.

The comments regarding the bed and bathroom have been passed on to the relevant departments in order for them to reflect on these therefore improving our services for our guests.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I took Dublin Bus from the airport, 1.90 euro, and had no difficulty finding the DCU Accommodations. Check in was simple. Bring a network cable with you or get one from them for a 5 Euro deposit.

My room was on the ground floor and was clean and bright. White cement walls, desk, chair, bed and ensuite shower, sink and toilet. There were 6 rooms to each apartment and each apartment had a kitchen/sitting room. The kitchen had a fridge and stove, plates, glasses. mugs, cutlery, pans, a microwave and toaster.

The university is a 2 euro bus or 14 Euro taxi ride from Dublin city centre. I enjoyed been out of the city centre and ventured in when I wanted to. Numerous bus routes to the city centre and elsewhere are within a 15 minute walk of the campus. Use the Dublin Bus application if you have a smartphone.

I have stayed in 6 star luxury and $2.50 flea traps in Belize. DCU is the median as it gives you the privacy and cleanliness of a hotel without the price and the price of a hostel/dive without being afraid to touch anything or having to give up your dignity.

I would most definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: For the Hampstead rooms, be certain to get a room facing the centre courtyard.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Teddybear178
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
Holiday Inn Express Dublin Airport
DCU All Hallows Campus
DCU All Hallows Campus
#42 of 149 in Dublin
Shanowen Holiday Apartments

Been to DCU Rooms? Share your experiences!