“never again.”
Review of Citi Hostels

Citi Hostels
Ranked #88 of 126 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Stayed at this hostels for a couple of nights last weekend.
My friend and I booked a private room for 2 people and we got a room with 2 bunk beds, and small, small bathroom. This wouldn't be a problem, if the place was relatively clean. It wasn't. We went out and got antibacterial detergent for the bathroom and fabric cleaner for the bed. The linen had cigarette burns and looked slept in.

We did try to get other accomodation but nothing was available as there were a couple of concerts and the Street art festival in town and everything was fully booked.

Another problem was that in the middle of the night our door opened and a guy walked right in, he had a key and thought it was his room. It scared the crap out of us. He apologized and left. We asked at the reception the next morining. The lady told us that the guy was a long-term guest and he was supposed to leave the room the previous morning, but he didn't so they moved his stuff without telling hm. A receptionist was supposed to stop him before he went to his room to tell him he was moved out to a new room, but this obviously didn't happen, so he got into our room. The lady at the reception barely offered us an apology.

Personnel is another sore spot. They barely pay attention to whoever walks into the door (and for a place open 24/7 it may be a problem) and are not very nice. Rules (i.e. not running in corridors, eating in rooms, not disturbing other guests) are not enforced.

The Wi-Fi Internet connection was not available in our room, just in the lobby.

It's a pity that the hostel is not better cared for, because it has potential (it could be quirky, as the building is kind of strange, but right now it's just creepy) and it's in a really nice position (10/15 minute walk to Grafton St., lots of pub nearby).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 27, 2011

I stayed in one of the 4 person (2 bunk bed) rooms. The beds were relatively comfortable, allowing me to sleep very soundly. The location was very good as it was relatively close to bus stops, restaurants, shops and the main city centre. The only complaint that I would have about this hostel was the shower. It took about 15 minutes to get hot water and then what came out of the tap was a trickle of water rather than a shower of it. Another annoying thing was that you have to keep pressing a button in order to operate the shower, causing you to stop multiple times to turn the water back on. But overall, was a good place to stay for a couple of nights which was relatively cheap :)

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Stayed just for one night, I am not familiar with staying at Hostels, and so this was my first experience. Never again. Although the room was clean and the bedding looked okay, I was surprised that there was no soap in the en-suite, and when I asked at reception for some all they did was laugh. The bunks (twin bedded room) was not particular comfortable, with the springs of the mattress digging into parts of me I didn't realise had pain receptors! Also when checking out had to ask several times for my key deposit back, it appeared that the staff thought it should be a tip - for what I am still struggling to understand.

But on the upside, breakfast of cereal, toast and coffee was fine.

During the night the Garda obviously were very busy - 14 sirens during a two hour period during the early hours. The general road noise was loud/

Would I recommend this hostel to a friend - probably not.

Room Tip: Don't go there - book somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed April 17, 2011

My friends and I were travelling to Dublin for a gig which was being held at the Tripod nightclub. We arrived at the hostel, put all our bags in the room (private room for 4), and went to the chipper for something to eat. On arrival back at the hostel, we were dismayed and frustrated to realise that the lock in the door had stopped working and we couldn't gain access to the room (or all our bags!). Upon notifying the receptionist, he began to laugh. However, this was no laughing matter, as we all had to get ready for the gig. It was half 9 at this point. He said that he would call his friend to look at the door, and said we would be waiting a while, he gave no indication of when "his friend" would arrive. We were visibly upset at what had happened, and stressed to think we might not even make it to the gig. And the receptionist DIDN'T AT ANY TIME apologise for the inconvenience this had caused us.
"The friend" eventually arrived half an hour later..(we were on the terrace area of the hostel). He opened the door, but the receptionist never even told us that our room was open again. This information had to be sought out by ourselves.
When we attempted to gain access to the room the second time, we discovered the room would STILL NOT OPEN! Essentially, what they had done was to forcefully open the door, and then locked it again, without addressing the problem that the lock was actually broken. THEREFORE, DOING NOTHING AT ALL.
We eventually gained access a full hour later.

Upon arriving back to the hostel after the gig, we were confronted with a scene that would be fitting for a film! The receptionist was after attacking one of the guests, and there were members of the Gardaí Síochana interviewing people. (This was happening 4am!)

On the upside, the hostel has a fantastic location for gigs in the tripod, few seconds walk away. The room was satisfactory. And our group in total was a large number, and we received no noise complaints all night, even though we had roughly ten people in our room, and were playing music all night. (But this may have been due to the fact that the receptionist was probably busy with the Gardaí after his fight!!)

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Arrival and check-in was fine apart from the fact the deposit for the keys was double what we expected as we had to have two keys to enter the building (completely separate to the main building) and room, and having just arrived, we only had enough for one jey so my boyfriend had to use the cash machine around the corner for which he was charged.
The room was small and really old-fashioned - it reminded me of the dorm rooms from uni but worse! The booking was messed up but upon talking to reception it was found to be Booking.com's fault for passing it through incorrectly.
The linen was clean but a drawer in the desk we had was full fo rubbish including a used ear bud and a lump of hair! the bin had two cigarette butts in it.
The toilet/showers were small but the shower was powerful.
Breakfast consisted of two loaves of bread, butter, cereal and milk, so we opted for croissants from Tesco and a sit in the park.
The bed was nice and firm, and clean, but with only one very thin pillow each we didn't get much sleep the first night.
Overall - I would not go back there.

Room Tip: Maybe pay a little bit more and go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2011

When I travel, I really typically just look for a bed and chalk conditions up to 'you get what you pay for'. This was one time I felt that we got perhaps a little less than was paid for. Overall, the location was ok, staff was fine but the room - the carpet should have been replaced a decade ago, we were greeted by flies and the noisy street outside kept me from sleeping until I finally used ear plugs the second night. Getting past this, fine, I just felt that the website mentions several amenities that sound like they are in the private rooms but are actually shared items - the say all the rooms are "en suite", which they're not, self serve coffee maker and tv are mentioned but those are in a kitchen common to the building (and the coffee is still instant), the hair dryer is behind reception if you want to borrow it. While the stay would have been fine if I were comparing it to the hostel bunk pricing, I think the private rooms leave something to be expected (lower price or cleaner standard or at least a less misleading explanation of amenities). At 40 (+) euros a night for the private room (after you pay for each person), I've seen much more comfortable settings in comparatively more expensive European cities.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2010

I was in cityhostel and I think that this is one of the best hostels in which I have stayed. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. The rooms are clean and cozy.
I spent the night in a room with seven girls from Spain, and only one of the guests was from the States. Of all the guests who was there he should of taken a private room as he groaned like an old woman and was complaining all night.
I would recommend this hostel to anyone as it is cheap and it is a place where you can meet many interesting people.
Thx to all the staff.