“Does what it says on the tin”

Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Rathmines
Ranked #95 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Perfectly decent and adequate example of this chain.
Good, friendly and helpful staff.
Quiet room although it was round the back.
Very good bus service outside the front door, 10 min ride into town through the poor traffic conditions.
Good restaurant within 5 min walk.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mfjradyr
Michelle G, Manager at Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Rathmines, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Hi Mfjradyr,

Thank you for your positive review on Travelodge Rathmines.

We are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Staying in dublin for the weekend i arrived ať the hotel around 11 pm after taking the 747 airlink bus from the airport to collage green from here you can get another bus to the hotel which stops right at the travelodge doors . I bourght a 3 day ramble ticket from kiosk in A/P arrivels the ticket cost 15 euros and was ideal for me because i used the bus service alot and it saves the hassle of having the correct change every time you use a bus . Loads of taxis around so no problem with getting about . Upon checkin i was given a room i asked the location the receptionist told me it was to the front of hotel i requested another room to the rear of hotel after reading previous reviews concering noise levels from front of hotel .they changed the room no problem it over looked the gardens and i never had any noise probs . The travelodge did the job ,great transport connections ,plenty of restaurants around and some wonderful tradional old irish pubs and all only minutes walk away from travelodge

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank yorke_jh

Hi Yorke_ih,

Thank you for posting this review on Travelodge Rathmines.

We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Wife n I stayed here for 4 nights over a long w/e (not knowingly over the Heineken Cup rugby final w/e between 2 French sides when Dublin was invaded by French fans) to have a brief visit of the Irish goods and greats and to meet up with a relative couple the last 2 days. This travelodge woudn't be our first choice location wise but it was difficult to find accommodation that w/e. After being stepped off the Air Coach by Trinity, with light luggage we walked thru Grafton Street, the side of St Stephen's Green, crossed the Grand Canal and continued down the Rathmines Road Lower to arrive at Travelodge, in about 25 minutes.

Checking in was quick and easy. We requested for a quiet room and pointed out the fact that we were light sleepers and were staying for 4 nights. We got a room facing the back garden on the 3rd floor and was indeed very quiet. The room was ok and clean and the bathroom as clean and bright too. The shower over a bathtub worked reasonably well and water was hot. Kettle was provided. TV was ok. There were supermarkets next door and opposite (Lidl), a Tesco 5 minutes further down and many eating places nearby. The bus stops were right outside though we didn't use the bus as we have had decent weather that w/e and so we walked all the time. Over the 4 nights our room was cleaned when we returned from sightseeing. Wifi was chargeable at 5Euro(?) per day which I don't think was reasonable these days.

Dublin was a great place for a few days and we also joined a day tour to visit the Newgrange and Tara Hill which we enjoyed.

I'd recommend this Travelodge if you don't mind walking a bit (20 minutes to St Stephen's Green) and if you can get a decent rate (say not more than 70Euro).

Room Tip: As for a room at the back overlooking the garden if you prefer a quieter room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SC168

Hi SC168,

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review.

We are happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us here in Travelodge Rathmines and indeed in Dublin.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

My son and I stayed herfe last weekned for a trip to Dublin to watch rugby. The hotel is a 20 minute walk to the south of the city centre but is well served by buses, with the stop outside. The rooms are large and clean. As to be expected in this chain, they are basic but perfectly adequate for a good nights sleep. For this type of weekend or those on a budget, I would recomend considering this hotel

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WhistlingBear

Hi Whistling Bear,

Thank you for writing this positive review.

We are happy to read you enjoyed your stay here with us in Travelodge Rathmines.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

When staying in a Travelodge you need to accept that it isn't going to be the Ritz. You pay a pretty low price and expect a budget offering. That is what we got - room was pretty small & could have done with a repaint. Shower wasn't that warm & had some small amounts of mould around it. Road noise was also noticeable (maybe better asking for a room at the rear?). Bed was comfortable though & we did manage a decent sleep (maybe the Guinness helped!).
However, for a cheap hotel, with easy bus connections to the city centre in a reasonable area (shops, coffee shops around) it did what it needed to and, on a tight budget, I would consider staying again.

Room Tip: A room at the rear may be quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Garfield123456

Hi Garfield123456,

Thank you for writing this review.

We appreciate both your constructive and positive feedback.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I spent 1 night at O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel (4 stars hotel, according to TripAdvisor - 63 best in Dublin) and 1 night at Rathmines Travelodge. Quality/Price is much better at Travelodge. I am happy that I spent here the second night because I got the same but much cheaper. I had an ability to see not only the city center but a normal life as well.
I am a young female, traveled alone and needed a safe, clean and cheap place. Travelodge Rathmines was better than I expected:
1. GOOD TRANSPORT. It took only about 10 minutes to go there by bus from the city center (Trinity Coledge). The bus stop is just in front of the hotel. Just looked at Google Street View and I had no problems to recognize the right bus stop.
2. SUPERB STAFF. Mariusz, who works at the hotel was very nice and helpful!
3. ROOMS ARE GOOD. I got a big room with a view to the gaden. It was very quiet. I think that the rooms having windows to the street are not so quiet. It is not 5 star hotel but everything was clean, the bed and pillows were comfortable. I got towels and soap. For the hair dryer I had to ask at the reception. That was not a problem at all.
If you need the 5 stars hotel with 100 channels on TV, nice restaurant and are willing to spend your stay laying in the bed or pool, choose a different hotel. But if you just need to sleep in a safe and clean place - this place is excellent.
4.FOOD? I haven't ordered the breakfast but there are 2 shops just nex doors: Lidl and Aldo. Tesco is about 7 minutes from the hotel. So I had a great breakfast! There was a kettle in my room.
5. THE DISTRICT SEEMED TO BE SAFE. I walked a lone in the evening and it was safe. It was nice to see how normal Dubliners live, not only the city center with a lot of turists.

I hope to come back to Ireland someday. I would definetly choose Rathmines Travelodge for my next visit!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a window to the garden. It will be quieter. You can get your breakfast in a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank yahaaa

Hi Yahaaa,

It is great to receive such great feedback and in such detail.

I will pass on your lovely comments to Mariusz.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and we will look forward to welcoming you again in the not to distant future.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed in this travel lodge with friends for the st Patrick's weekend as all other hotels were booked and far more expensive than this one however we were still charged over the odds at around £120 quid per night! The hotels location is not bad and only a short bus ride into the centre or st Stephens green. The actual rooms were shocking! They are falling to bits literally. Our shower ran hot and cold constantly and at some points scolded! Our friends room toilet didn't flush and when asked to sort they simply just didn't so for the whole wkd they couldn't flush their loo! The beds were lumpy, old and extremely uncomfortable and therefore woke up each morning aching. The traffic is loud from the main busy road. The heating didn't come on or work in the mornings so the room was freezing at times!
Dublin is amazing however when we return we will definitely not be staying at travelodge

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Doug P

Hi Doug P,

I am very sorry to read your review of Travelodge Rathmines.

It is very disappointing to read a review such as this, but please be assured that this review has been actioned to ensure another guest does not have this same experience.