“Very convient location, nice room,friendly staff.”

Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Stephens Green Hotel
Ranked #90 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Roaring Spring, Pennsylvania
“Very convient location, nice room,friendly staff.”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We really liked the location. Breakfast could be had a the small attached, cute tea room. Only had the 4.00 euro special, scone, tea, clotted cream and jam. Very nice. Staff was very friendly. And it was not noisy at night.

1 Thank Nlingenfel
Michelle G, Manager at Travelodge Dublin City Centre, Stephens Green Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Hi Nlingenfel,

We appreciate your positive review, thank you for taking the time to post it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Polish first
Cheltenham U.K
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Although this Travelodge says it has a Disabled Access bedroom there are 22 points that need to be addressed before I would say its fit to be classed as a disabled bedroom.
1. All light switches are far to high and need to be lowered so able to be reached from a sitting position in a standard chair.
2. The same for the air-conditioning control panel.
3. Move trouser press or air-conditioning switch.
4. Put a lower clothes rail in tall cupboard and a shelf in the bottom.
5. move coffee/tea facilitates to dressing table area.
6. Heighten all plug sockets to above the dressing table.
7. Curtains ideally need to be 2 inches shorter to avoid wheelchair running over and pulling them.
8. Need to move single bed out so more room for Wheelchairs to turn.
9. Bed needs to have non-slip legs/feet on.
10. Plugs by the bed need to be higher.
11. Table lights need plugging in and not have to be switched on manually, ie a light switch would turn them on.
12. Disabled call-alarm installed near bed.
13. Bedroom door needs to open outwards.
14. Bathroom lights need lowering
15. Bathroom mirror needs lowering so you can see yourself from sitting position.
16. Bath Sink needs to be much smaller and further aware from toilet see attachments.
17. Toilet seat needs to be securely fixed.
18. Wheel-in-shower needs to be level with no lip. A wet-room is better. see attachments.
19. Shower seat needs to be as high as toilet with supporting legs.
20 Another Disabled pull-alarm installed in the bathroom including at ground level.
21. A P.E.E.P ( Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan see http://www.peepsltd.co.uk/
22. he disabled bedroom iis on top floor with 1 lift, through 2 fire doors and at the end of a long corridor.
I must say I was very disappointed with my stay especially as I was unable to shower for 4 days.

7 Thank LouiseCheltenhamU_K
Hi Louise,

Thank you for taking the time for writing this very informative review.

I am glad I also had the opportunity to meet with you at the hotel and go through this with you in person.

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I've used many Travelodges and usually pay approx. £25 per night and pay for breakfast as well, I have never faulted any of them and have always highly recommended them. This time I paid 109euros per night plus 7euros for the all you can eat buffet breakfast (I will get to that later.)

We stayed here for one night to go to a watch a band at the Olympic Theatre. We came from Liverpool. It cost 27euros in a cab from the airport to this hotel. The hotel is walking distance to the Olympia Theatre, approx. 700metres, and is close to loads of bars, restaurants and the main shopping area. It is also approx. 700metres to Temple square which is the main pub/club area.

The staff on reception - fantastic, polite, well mannered, helpful, cannot fault.

The room - imagine going to your nans house in the 1970s, well that's how the room is styled. The furniture, curtains, carpet are outdated in style but hey hoe that doesn't affect your sleeping. The bed is clean and comfortable, yes I did have a good nights sleep. The carpet was dirty and stained although you could clearly see it had been vacuumed.

The TV - this is the same for every Travelodge I have stayed in - you have no idea what channel is what, the remote control will not allow you to get any info on what you're watching.

The view from the room - council flats approx. 20 metres ahead of you. Council flats to the left of you. Huge metal office building to your right. No noise from outside unless you have your window open (obviously).

The bathroom - I'm not really a clean freak person but I did have a few small faults. The shower curtain was mouldy at the bottom and could easily be replaced for less than £2 (£1.77 in Asda to be precise!) The tiles on the wall were white but the grout in between them was yellow. Having tiled a bathroom in my previous house with white tiles I know this doesn't mean its dirty (it just looks dirty and mouldy), it just means that I would never tile a bathroom with white tiles which I presume a company as big as Travelodge would be aware of. There was a plastic box on the wall which was disgustingly dirty, it had a hose coming out of it. I presume it was a vacuum or a hair dryer (just speculation).

Now for the all you can eat buffet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firstly its NOT!!!!! Its a café that is next door to the hotel which is attached by a doorway from the reception of the hotel. The café is called 'Pot and Bell' (I think).

There was 3 waiting-on staff, 3 young girls, very polite, well mannered and well presented (they would be a credit to their parents they were that nice!).

Its not an 'all you can eat buffet', its a café where you sit down and get waited on. We ordered drinks and food, 10 mins later we were still waiting for our coffees so I went up to the bar/counter/drinks serving area to get them, it took another 5 mins of standing there for the coffees to be made. Whilst standing there waiting for coffees, I noticed how dirty it was behind there. The shelves under the coffee machine looked like it had never been wiped/cleaned, there was food: pastries, yogurts, cereal all on the bar which was uncovered and you had no idea how long it had been there, had no labels on it to say when it would be out of date etc, it looked stale, flies could have landed on it. I eventually got the coffees, took them back to the table. The milk was on the table in a cup, it was already on the table when we came in so we had no idea how long it had been there for, it did not have a lid on it and was not covered, so I went back up to the bar to get some milk out the original carton out the fridge.

Whilst waiting for our food, one of the girls brought some brown and red sauce to the table. They were in clear glass jars approx. 7cm tall. The lid to these jars were like the original grolsch beer bottle tops (the ones that you put on your shoes if you liked the boyband called Bros in the late 80's), the metal was dirty and covered in old sauce that had dried and gone solid, they were vile, it was disgusting.

When customers left, yes the tables were cleared and wiped clean, but the cup with the milk was left for the next person, and the floor right across the whole of the sitting area was covered in crumbs/mess, it was never swept up.

The overall hygiene in the café really was appallingly bad.

The food itself - We both ordered a full Irish breakfast. Omg it was awful, it was vile, all the food on the plate was floating on a layer of grease. The sausages - can you imagine the cheap sausages from the supermarket (Asda's smartprice or Tesco Value range) well that's what they were like, the fried egg was like rubber, the bacon was half fat, the mushroom (it was only half of ONE) was indescribable, the black pudding and white pudding was like a rock I couldn't even get my fork into it, the beans were burnt, there was something square on the plate which I still have no idea what it was. The whole thing was inedible and total waste of money. I am not a fussy eater but it really was vile!!!!

When I stay at Travelodges I always get the all you can eat buffet breakfast and prepay for it on the internet, it has always been delicious at every venue I have been and have never faulted it. This at Dublin is not as described, it is NOT a buffet, it is NOT all you can eat. I would NOT recommend it. It would have actually been cheaper to order it off the menu and pay in the café for it. There are plenty of cafes in the area to go elsewhere.

I hope this is honest enough for you. Yes I would stay in the hotel again if I paid £25 for it but for 109euros I would advise you to get somewhere else as I saw a lot more nicer hotels in Dublin City Centre for a lot cheaper. And I would definitely advise anyone NOT to include the breakfast!!!!!

3 Thank Kate C
Hi Kate C,

Thank you for taking the time to write this both positive and constructive review.

We do appreciate your attention to detail as it is this detail that will help us improve.

I have passed on your comments to the Bell and Pot manager also.
newtownards, northern ireland
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed before and gave an average review, based on the room condition. This time thought the room was in excellent condition. Bright airy, nicely furnished, really comfy bed etc. immaculate bathroom. 1st class location close proximity to st stephens green, Powerscourt, great George's street, temple bar, grafting street etc. really excellent value, and reduced cost parking within the same building complex. Friendly enough staff. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank zaria123
Hi Zaria123,

Firstly thank you for coming back to give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves from your first review.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed this stay and that you will return again.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

On this our first ever trip to Dublin we Booked Ryanair shuttle bus ‘Aercoach’ to hotel and saved about £4 per person (we also booked the 2 day Red sightseeing bus with Ryanair and saved a further £5) airport shuttlebus dropped us at Trinity college which was 10-15 min walk away from this Travelodge in Mercer st. We Walked down Grafton street towards park on St Stephens Green. At shopping centre you turn to right down to end of King St ( passing where Gaiety theatre / Riverdance was showing) and Travelodge is on your left around side of Dunne’s store. We Arrived early Monday for 2 night stay and the staff were very happy to take our bags and suggested we may get into the room (407) around 12.30 which we did. They happily kept our bags too when we were leaving s we had a late flight home. The restaurant were happy for us to spend time there on our last day on the comfy sofa.
Family bedroom was nice and bright and clean and spacious and beds super comfy. Loved how there was Plenty of shops and eateries in this central location. We went to see Riverdance which was less than 5 mins walk from our hotel. Fantastic.
Some considerable street noise at night even although it was not the weekend seemed to come from housing estate across the road – but we just closed the windows.
Staff were helpful when we went out without our keycard. Further assistance from staff is ongoing as we left the childs favourite bedtime toy penguin in the room and the staff are currently trying to find it – perhaps in the laundry – we’re hopeful for a good outcome as the staff very attentive and sensitive to the distressed child.
What made our break special was the fantastic food and the lovely staff in the newly opened BELL AND POT Restaurant attached to but independent of the hotel. We booked bed and breakfast and got the breakfast in the BELL AND POT and were extremely pleased with the standard and amount of food. We got the full Irish brekky and it was a very generous amount of food for to be included in the room price of £138? For the family room for 2 adults and a child for two nights. WE enjoyed the food so much we returned for dinner, and afternoon tea and coffees.....I would definitely recommend this restaurant – our hotel stay would have been good but the BELL AND POT made our stay excellent.

Room Tip: Recommend Family Room 407 on floor 4 - lift available.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank aweebreak
Hi aweebreak,

Thank you for taking the time to write this positive and informative review.

It is great to read such positive both for the hotel and the Bell and Pot.

I will ensure the manager of the Bell and Pot reads your comments.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed in here as I was attending an event in Dublin and needed to stay overnight. I just wanted a clean, comfortable room in a good location.
Room was small (I booked a single room though) but clean and bright. Room facilities included tea/coffee making facilities, TV & trouser press.
I had expected there may be some street noise, being so close to St Stephen’s Green, but in fact noise at night wasn’t an issue at all (I stayed on the 5th floor though, so maybe noisier on lower floors) Traffic noise in the morning started at about 7am, but closing the window blocked most of this.
My stay included breakfast, and this experience exceeded my expectations. I assumed it would be run of the mill hotel buffet style breakfast in a blandly decorated dining room. In fact breakfast is served in a café kitchen called the Bell & Pot, decorated in a vintage granny chic style complete with floral arm chairs and couches and cute colourful crockery. Breakfast is made to order, with a menu including full Irish, egg dishes and porridge with baileys and cinnamon. Food was very good, and I’d recommend paying the €7 or €8 to have breakfast here, even if it’s not included in your package.
Overall, I was happy with my stay, found it to be good value for money, and very centrally located.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Cakes72
Hi Cakes72,

Thank you for your great review and for taking the time to write it.

I have also passed on your lovely comments onto the Bell and Pot manager.