“A lovely hotel.”
Review of The Croke Park

The Croke Park
Ranked #5 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed January 28, 2011

I stayed here for one night while attending a conference. The hotel is located directly across from Croke Park a sports stadium in Dublin - it it not within walking distance to the city centre. The hotel was lovely. The room was very clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. It was convenient to the city centre if you are willing to take a taxi and staff were very helpful in this regard. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,679)

Reviewed January 27, 2011

What I would right about in this review is pretty much what a lot of the others are writing. The hotel was fantastic. Great staff. Everyone was very accommodating from the front desk to the bartenders to the housekeeping staff. Clean, beautiful hotel. The food was delicious.

Down the street is a great little Italian and wine bar called Asti. It's within walking distance of the hotel and had absolutely wonderful food. Definitely give it a try if you're staying at Croke Park.

Reviewed January 24, 2011

I chose this hotel on the basis on the reviews here, and whilst its true that its a modern property, offering decent rooms with space and free internet, I didn't get any "wow" feeling and didn't think it was so much better than other hotels in Dublin that I've stayed in, which you would think from some of the reviews.

I got a decent rate (85 euros) for a mid week Jan stay not including breakfast, and when I asked at checkin for a high floor room, they told me that the third floor was closed off for lack of demand, but the desk clerk kindly upgraded me to the 4th floor which he told me has the "Deluxe rooms" on it which was a bonus. The Deluxe rooms seemed OK though nothing special, but I can't comment what the standard room would have been like.

On the plus side - rooms have a desk to work at and large comfortable beds (better than other more expensive properties like the Dylan which gets the award for the least comfortable beds in the world, let alone Dublin), but not much other space. There is also a philips flat screen TV and weirdly a CD HIFI player with no IPod / MP3 facility, but a library of CD's is apparently available in reception - like time travel back to the pre-Ipod era.

I tried the room service which was Good quality food but fairly expensive with a 5 euro tray delivery fee on top of the food (but most hotels in Dublin are at similar prices), as the location by the Stadium means that you can't easily walk to get a big selection of meals out.

I was disappointed that my 7:15 wake up call on the first day didn't materialise until 7:30 and when I commented on this, the guy (as its the desk team making the calls manually) said "Oh sorry" in a voice that conveyed that he couldn't care less. Good thing I wasn't on a deadline to catch a flight that morning... I set my own alarm for the next day when I was.

Would I go back, yes, but only if I couldn't get something in town, or if I needed to be out near the Croke Park stadium, so find myself strangely ambivalent about this property, which is clearly designed to service stadium events more than any thing else.

Nice / OK - nothing special, but not bad either.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2011

absolutly first class, stayed in many hotels, not get much better than this, only downside was that there was a very limited choice in the restaurant, although the food was excellent.

Reviewed January 23, 2011

This hotel is just fab - from the lovely staff to the decor. The rooms are beatifully decorated with very comfortable beds. Very tasty breakfast. Would definately recommend this hotel

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2011

We also got this as part of a great package we got with airfare. We are glad we did - it was just about the perfect place to stay in Dublin. We had the same experience as most other travelers on here - got in EARLY from the U.S. and they still got us to our nice room so we could take a nap. The room is just beautiful and welcoming, and sized more to American standards, if you compare it to other typical European hotel rooms. We took advantage of both the breakfast in the morning and the bar at night, and both were great - the breakfast was delicious and the bar was very accommodating. We ordered from the late night menu at the bar, and normally they only deliver to the room, but they were happy to let us enjoy our delicious sandwiches at the bar – a bar that can pour a proper pint of Guinness, by the way – come to Dublin and you’ll realize what that means. I wish they had free Diet Coke at breakfast, but that’s just my craving – a small complaint.

It is about a 15 minute walk from O’Connell Street, which is where the real Dublin downtown action begins. We both like walking so it was no bother at all, and did give you a great introduction to the city. We felt safe during the day, but it is probably a good idea to cab it at night, which is really pretty reasonable, and after a long day you’ll want to anyway. It might be a bit of a disadvantage, but honestly, it is away from the noise and bustle of downtown, so that does have its advantages as well. Again, grab your last pint at the bar downstairs – which has really nice bartenders who can also apparently talk American football; we were watching the Pittsburgh – Ravens game, which was interesting to do in Ireland.

I do wish the hotel had WiFi in more locations, but that is mostly just because of my American Sprint Evo phone only working on WiFi over there. My ThinkPad ran fast on the provided free internet in the room via ethernet cable.

We did think the room was a bit warm the first night, but then we figured out how to work the thermostat, which is a bit tricky, even with the directions that are on a card sitting next to the bed. Here’s a tip – “dehumidify” means “air conditioning”. The shower has unique controls as well but you get the hang of it, and both the shower and the separate tub are beautiful.

Overall, the Croke Park Hotel is HIGHLY recommended, and would definitely be our base in Dublin our next trip, even if it is not part of a package deal.

1  Thank mbhockey13
Reviewed January 13, 2011

we spent five nights at this hotel at the start of our European Christmas holiday, and were more than happy with the location and amenities. the staff were friendly though the stay, the restaurants and bar were inviting at the end of a long day, and the management were very keen to get our feedback afterward to ensure they could make any improvements (although we couldn’t identify any)

we booked a standard room and received a complimentary upgrade to the executive floor which included the continental breakfast and free wi-fi, which was great as there wasn’t much in the way of alternate restaurants or cafes nearby.

whilst it is a little away from the city it’s only a 10-15 minute walk to O'Connell Street. we were happy to use a different path each day and get a better feel for the city, and when we had enough walking or it was raining , the cab fare to or from most places in the city was only €10-12.

the hotel was quiet, although I'm not sure if that would be the case on game days, and we would definitely stay there again.

ps; if you do have a few days in Dublin, make sure you take in Kilmainham prison, the Guiness storehouse, and a train trip down to Dalkey for lunch and onto Killiney to view the coastline

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple