“Unfriendly hostess, inept management, no locks on inside of doors”
Review of The Croke Park

The Croke Park
Ranked #7 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
prague
“Unfriendly hostess, inept management, no locks on inside of doors”
Reviewed November 2, 2006

Upon check-in I requested that the mini-bar be emptied so that I could put in my own water, and whatever. The check-in lady gave me a stricken look and said "You want to use it as a fridge?!!" Nevertheless, she agreed to have this taken care of. It never was DESPITE 2 enquiries to the front desk, 2 requests to housekeeping, and a personal talk with the MANAGER!! Each time they stated that it would be done. Instead, the minibar remained LOCKED the entire visit (3 nights).

There were no slippers, no robe, no heated bathroom floor.

At breakfast my first morning the hostess kept me waiting then
gave me an alarmed look while stating that "your room rate does not include breakfast". So what, they had my credit card on file to charge me. She then was very annoyed that I didn't want to sit where she wanted to place me. Just as I sat down with my plate of food, she appeared to rudely stick the bill in my face for signature.

There are no bolts or other inside locks; I found this out when housekeeping entered while I was there. However, when I asked on a Sunday at 8:30 that they clean while I was out, it was promised at 9:30. When I returned at 11:10, nothing was done.

The lock issue is important, for the surrounding neighborhood is borderline seedy. I like to walk, but the walk to O'Connell is through an area where there is nothing to see, and the sidewalk is littered with cig. butts and trash bags.

I did like the older concierge (40s-50s), but that's about all that comes to mind to recommend a stay here.

Oh, by the way, I arrived at 12:30 on Saturday, following 2 international flights and they wouldn't let me check in until 2P, claiming that a non-smoking room was not available.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
15 Thank outofthisworld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
North-East England
Reviewed October 28, 2006

Stayed for 2 nights and we absolutly loved it there! Decor was very modern and stylish, beds nice and big and also very comfy! Rooms had iron and ironing board, hairdryer, tea and coffee, bath and shower, 24hr room service, minibar. The hotel bar was relaxing and sold really nice food. Hotel staff were very friendly.

Would reccommend this hotel to anyone and would definately stay again. Cost us 16euros for a taxi from airpost to hotel, 20 euros to get back (cant understand how it was more though!) Taxi into Dublin town cost us around 10 euros. To walk it takes about 10-15minutes.

• Liked — Plush surroundings
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
10 Thank linzima
Taunton Somerset
Reviewed October 24, 2006

We had just spent 2 days in a stylish but freezing cold new hotel in Castlebar. It was such a relief to get to Jurys at Croke Park and to receive a warm welcome in an immaculate hotel. It is about 20 minutes walking from the centre and in a quiet area (unless the football stadium opposite was in use!)

The rooms were stylish, super clean, warm and inviting. The bathroom was of an excellent standard with a full stand-in shower and seperate bath to please both hubby and I. We had paid a little extra for the champagne and chocolates which added to the indulgence effect.

The bar and restaurant areas were equally stylish and run by very friendly and helpful staff. The evening bar meal was well above the normal hotel standard and the breakfast was similar. Hubby wasn't sure about the high tables and low seating, but I reiterated it looked great and there was less distance to drop food!

On planning our sightseeing the following day, the reception staff were exceptionally helpful and took the time to explain things to us even when busy. Bags were kept for us at the hotel until the end of the day and someone assisted loading into our vehicle when we returned.

In summary, we highly recommend this hotel for a break in Dublin and can offer little negative about it other than the usual troublesome shower. What's with the 'brown but brilliant', sadly this was my school uniform color and I have destested ever since. The fact that this was the predominate color throughout the hotel and I still enjoyed so much speaks volumes!

Stayed October 2006
7 Thank PerfectPammy
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 16, 2006

I stayed here with 7 other family members for our final weekend in Ireland. This hotel was the nicest one we stayed in during our trip. The most comfortable beds I have slept in, a wonderful shower with oversized towels, a modern workout room, and very friendly staff. We did need to take taxis several times to the city centre as we were not familiar with Dublin, and this hotel was a bit further out than the map led me to believe, but we knew we might need to cab it so were not completely taken by surprise.

• Liked — Luxury/price value
  • Disliked — We did have a mix up with taxis called by the hotel concierge a couple of times when multiple parties were requesting cabs.
  • Tips/Secrets — It is a bit further to Trinity College/Temple Bar area than the map would lead you to believe, especially if you are travelling with older people who may not be able to walk great distances.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank cbhicks
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2006

The rooms are excellent, beautifully fitted out with more than enough room to swing the proverbial cat.

You can expect a spotless bedroom/bathroom, large bed, plasma TV, CD player, tea & coffee making facilities and electronic safe. We really liked the fact that the bath and shower were separate too.

The downside is the location. It's a good 15-20 minute straight walk to O'Connell Street. We have no idea if there were public transport options, we did not see any.

Bear in mind that this hotel is across the street from one of the biggest sporting arenas in Europe, and be prepared for people flocking to the gigantic stadium across the street on match/concert days - check whether there is an event on before you stay! That said, this is a great hotel with excellent value for money in terms of what you get.

• Liked — Brand New
  • Disliked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — Check whether there are any events on at the stadium across the street (Croke Park)
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank CockneyBrum
Cheshire, England
Reviewed October 11, 2006

One of the best fitted out hotels I've stayed in with extremely well-equipped bedrooms and excellent bathrooms with bath and separate shower. The beds were very comfortable.

I was staying with a group and this 4* hotel was serving up unimaginitive, mediocre food that was often lukewarm to cool. In five meals taken, there was only one that was almost acceptable. I have eaten much better food in 3* and below.

The hotel is not in a very salubrious area, and is 20/30 minutes walking to Dublin centre. There is a bus route about 5 minutes away and there can be quite a wait for a taxi.

• Liked — bedrooms and the beds
  • Disliked — Food
  • Tips/Secrets — Choose somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2006
5 Thank PJAH42
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed October 8, 2006

Stayed at Jury's Croke park for the one night with my boyfriend. Booked an executive upgrade room with complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolates upon arrival.
We had a lovely time there at Jury's. The room was spacious, modern and with all the little niceties you'd expect from a 4/5 star hotel.

Reception staff were efficient and friendly. We were asked at least twice during our stay there if everything was to our satisfaciton and if it wasn't not to hesitate alerting the staff.

The bed was very comfortable, the mini bar packed with goodies!
The room service menu was good, and they offered a 24 hour menu to choose from also.
We visited one of the bars downstairs for drinks in the evening time, and again the staff we very friendly and the service was excellent.
This Jury's is a little gem. The location isn't probably ideal at the moment, but in a few years with the refurbishment thats planned for that part of Dublin, you'll find it hard to get an executive room here for 2 for one night for €129!
Booked with lastminute.ie by the way.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple