“Modern and upscale”

The Croke Park
Ranked #7 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
“Modern and upscale”
Reviewed February 28, 2010

The Croke Park Hotel is a beautiful modern hotel across from the Croke Park Stadium. Our room couldn't have been more comfortable. Lots of pleasant, small touches in decoration and the room is thoughtfully set up. I recommend both the pub and the dining room for delicious meals. We had a wonderful leek and potato soup at lunchtime with sandwiches and pints. At dinner I had salmon with risotto and Dan had cod with a creme fresh sauce, small potatoes and chorizo. Our meals were expertly prepared and presented. The staff is courteous and helpful all around.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
CrokeParkDublin, General Manager at The Croke Park, responded to this review, March 3, 2010
Dear DanielleH9,

Thank you for your kind review. I am very fortunate to have a fine team in the kitchen lead by our Executive Chef, John Sheridan and they will be delighted with your feedback.
Keep a look out on our own website for some great value packages, you may be pleasantly surprised. I look forward to, hopefully, welcoming you back to Croke Park.

Edward Stephenson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
northern ireland
Reviewed February 17, 2010

I first stayed in this hotel on Arthur's Day with my son and as soon as we checked in I knew this was a hotel with a difference. On arrival we were given warm towells to freshen up with and checkin was quick and informative.Our room was on the 4th floor and it was fabulous!!! Huge room with 2 double beds and the bathroom was huge as well with seperate shower and bath. The furnishings were luxurious and everything was fresh,clean and spotless.

I stayed again during a recent rugby weekend and again from checkin we were made to feel like VIP's!!! Usually during a busy w'end like rugby it is not a good time to judge a hotel,staff and service.(going by past experience in other hotels)!!But it was not a problem in Croke Park!!

We got a lovely room again on the 4th floor and it was overlooking Croke Pk,we were well pleased.We also had use of the Executive Lounge which served light b'fast and had papers and magazines. . . very relaxing.

The hotel was buzzing and the atmosphere was electric as people were getting ready to go to the rugby match.We had lunch in the restaurant which was lovely and served quickly.Although there were so many people all wanting food and drink there were lots of staff in restaurants and bars to cope with the amount of people.There were even "extra" bars within the bar!!

We had dinner in the restaurant and it again was very good and service was excellent.(we'd been advised at checkin to make dinner reservation for the evening)

Breakfast the next morning was very good.Great service from friendly staff and a nice relaxed atmosphere.Plenty of lovely food to choose from, and the hot selection was great and piping hot.Again plenty of staff about.

We were offered a lazy checkout which meant we could keep our room for a bit longer so we didn't have to checkout too early which is a great idea.
On checkout we were given little bottles of mineral water for our journey home,which I thought was a nice touch.

I have stayed in other Dublin hotels during busy rugby international weekends and believe me they could learn a lot from the Croke Park Hotel!!!

Nothing is too much trouble,plenty of staff in every department,excellant food,excellant service and excellant atmosphere.

Free underground parking is a big plus.Car is safe and carpark is well lit with lift to reception.

It is clear to see that there is great management and a well trained team of staff.

I'm looking forward to my next weekend in the Croke Park Hotel in March.

Carolyn Crawford
Waringstown.

1 Thank carolyn50_9
CrokeParkDublin, General Manager at The Croke Park, responded to this review, February 22, 2010
Dear Ms Crawford,

Thank you for your kind review which is most encouraging and very much appreciated by the team here. Your description perfectly encapsulates the buzz and excitement experienced whenever there is a concert or sporting event at the stadium and I am delighted you enjoyed both your recent stays. I look forward to,hopefully, welcoming you back to Dublin some time in the future and kindly contact me directly if can be of assistance.

New York, NY
Reviewed February 9, 2010

I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Croke Park Hotel. Wow, everything was perfect! From the minute we walked in to Reception and were greeted with warm towels to freshen up to the Housekeeping staff to the Concierge staff it was customer service at its finest. The first time we requested a taxi, the Concierge asked for our room number. This was not (as I thought) to charge the fare to our room but to protect the Hotel's guests from rogue cab drivers who try to take advantage of tourists and to locate anything that might have been left behind in the car. What a nice touch!

As far as the room, it was gorgeous! Spotless, fully stocked with big, thick towels and complementary coffee and tea are just some of the touches that make the rooms special. Oh and the bed, ahhhhhh!!!! I am an early riser always but this bed was so comfortable that I slept in until 11:00am every day!!

If I didn't give the location it's full worth it's because it is a bit removed from the city center. I will say, however, that all of the above more than compensates for the distance and on my next trip, the Croke Park will be my hotel of choice.

1 Thank CeciNYC
CrokeParkDublin, General Manager at The Croke Park, responded to this review, February 11, 2010
Dear CeciNYC,

Thank you for your kind review and I look forward to, hopefully, welcoming you back to Dublin some time in the future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 8, 2010

I just spent four nights at The Croke Park Hotel and really loved it. It was my first visit to this hotel, and I therefore had no idea what to expect. I have always in the past stayed within the city centre when visiting Dublin, so this was slightly further out of the way than I was accustomed to, but it was a completely manageable walk, than can take only 15-20 minutes at a brisk clip.

We arrived at the hotel very early. Our flight from NYC arrived at 8 am, much earlier than check-in time. However, we were greeted pleasantly and welcomed, and a clean room was assigned to us immediately.

The room was adequately spacious. Unfortunately, we had booked two double beds, and were offered one double and a twin bed. It has been many many years since I slept on a twin bed, so it took a bit of adjusting. The room had a modern and clean style, with excellent amenities, including a very nice flat screen TV. The furniture and beds were clean and comfortable. The bathroom was really fantastic. It contained a large glass-enclosed shower stall as well as a full size bath tub, and a lot of counter space underneath a wall-size mirror.

The room was literally scrubbed down every morning. The shower and the bathroom floor sparkled upon our return each afternoon, and the beds and the rest of the room were made up beautifully. It is clear that a LOT of attention is paid to maintaining a very high level of cleanliness at this hotel. I don't remember ever before being this impressed by how well serviced a hotel room was. But this cleanliness was not limited just to the room. The entire facility was maintained to a superior standard. Great lighting, great public area furniture, inviting pub and bistro, and great food at the restaurant.

We had requested a non-smoking room, and this was happily accommodated. The room didn't smell of smoke at all upon our arrival, which was a relief. My only disappointment, however, was an unexplainable and VERY strong smell of cigarette smoke that seemed to pump into the room through the ventilation system every morning at about 5 am. It was such a strong stench, it actually woke me up, dried out my nose, and caused my travel partner a pretty bad asthma attack one morning. For somebody who smokes, this would obviously not be a problem. But for me, this was a big negative. I have a very bad reaction to cigarette smoke, and my clothes smelled like smoke for a few hours each morning. I suggest that this be looked into, as it was the only real "gotcha" in an otherwise flawless visit.

I took advantage of the beautiful fitness center every day. It was spacious and comfortable, and contained a large selection of equipment. It was completely under-utilized, as I was the only one there during almost every visit. I wasn't complaining though. Fresh fruit, water, and towels were provided.

The location of the hotel is a bit north and to the east of the main visitor attractions of the city center, however, for rugby and soccer fans, this hotel is in the center of that universe, as it is directly across the street from the famous Croke Park, home of the GAA, the Irish athletic assocation that is steeped in history, politics, and tradition in Irish sport. The stadium is impressive, and contains a fantastic shop for shirts, jackets, shorts, etc. in the colors of the different teams.

I'm happy to say that I'm returning to The Croke Park Hotel in a couple of weeks. This time, I'm bringing my mom. I think she is going to love it, and I'm greatly looking forward to my return.

1 Thank rspatafora
CrokeParkDublin, General Manager at The Croke Park, responded to this review, February 16, 2010
Dear Mr Spatafora,

Thank you for your very kind and comprehensive review. I look forward to welcoming you back in March with your Mum and having taken the trouble to place such a lengthy review the very least we can do is ensure you are upgraded on your return visit.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed February 3, 2010

My husband and I have stayed here frequently since it opened. We have stayed on match weekends, weekends away and weekends where we needed to be in Dublin. My husband stayed there frequently when he was in Dublin for weekend course work.

We both love it and at this stage wouldn't bother staying anywhere else. We did "treat" ourselves to a more expensive hotel 12 months ago, and to both our minds, didn't compare!

We stayed here the weekend it opened and fell in love with it. I love the entrance and the lobby area and the fact that there are little areas to sit and read there. I love the bedrooms - those beds are so comfortable. A number of reviewers have commented on the rooms being cold, it's never been my experience. I've always found the air con to work perfectly well.

I would agree with other reviewers on the food. The bar food is fine, but very expensive. I have ordered room service and find the final charge on it prohibitive - a bowl of chips ends up costing an arm and a leg! We've been there a few times on a weekend break, including dinner. I've found the menu a little limited every time. The last time we were on this type of deal, we ate in the restaurant, which was lovely. However, all previous times, we ate in the room that's across from the bar and I just don't find it nice for an evening meal that I want to relax over - that room is fine for breakfast and fine for having a few drinks in later, but not for dinner!

We were up recently for my husband's graduation and contacted the hotel prior to travelling to book it. When we got there the room was decorated, a card there and 2 small bottles champagne. It really was a lovely touch and hugely appreciated.

We have asked the concierge for recommendations for restaurants nearby and his recommendations have been spot on. We had the best Indian there during All-Ireland weekend last year - and it was just along the canal!

I know the surrounding area isn't pleasant, however, I have walked around there alot - I tend to get lost coming back from town!!! I've walked along the canal a few times and there have been gangs drinking there - certainly not pleasant to know you have to pass them, but to a group they have been polite - this has occured numerous times over numerous stays!!

I love when we're staying on 4th floor - and we often pay the extra for it! That lounge is great - I tend to binge on hot chocolate when I'm there!!!! It's just lovely to go in and read the papers and it's always so quiet. We've been in there a few times when there's been a private function on - not realising we shouldn't have come in. Each time it hasn't been a problem, we get a coffee and a paper and find a seat and stay quiet!!! We even got invited to have a lunch there one day - we immediately explained we weren't part of the party, but it wasn't an issue us being there.

That lounge was especially wonderful after this year's All-Ireland where we could lick our wounds over a drink, rather than face the bar downstairs.

A previous reviewer commented on the crowds after matches - my experience has been that we've always been able to get through by showing our card. The crowd-control and security is excellent around matches - the only downside is it does take a littel time to get a drink!!!!

Despite having been in Croke Park numerous times, we decided to do tour of it last year - highly recommended! We didn't do the museum that day as we ran out of time, but it does come highly recommended as well.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CorkCouple
Dear CorkCouple,

I am grateful for your kind feedback on the hotel which is incredibly encouraging and much appreciated. I have noted your comments regarding the menu choice and I trust that you will notice improved seasonal variety on your next visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Croke Park in the not to distant future.

Drogheda
Reviewed February 2, 2010

Stayed for just the one night. Got upgraded to the Executive level which was a nice touch.
Nice big room with all the usual equipment. Executive lounge could have been beter stocked but was nice and relaxing. Excellent breakfast great choice and variety. The staff where very efficient and friendly. Took coach to the O2 arena for a show great to go from door to door in both directions and not have to worry about parking, or getting the Luas back into town, or a taxi.
After we checked out we could leave our car parked in the under ground carpark for as long as we wanted. We walked into the city centre after check-out and it took only 10 minutes to get to O'Connell street.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DesG
Dear DesG,

I am grateful for your kind feedback on the hotel.

If I can be of any assistance in the future please feel free to contact me directly and I look forward to, hopefully, welcoming you back to Croke Park.

Aberdeenshire
Reviewed January 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend in Dublin. We were very impressed by the hotel. The reception area, bar, gym, etc were all very well presented and the staff were all very helpful.

We stayed in one of the executive rooms, which included breakfast in executive lounge, complimentary evening drink, bathrove and slippers and evening turn down service. Our room was a good size and had all the features you would expect. The bathroom was immaculate and the housekeeping team provided a very thorough service everyday.

The area next to Croke Park is by no means the best in Dublin but a taxi to the centre only costs $10 or there are regular buses nearby. Also, during the day it is only a 2 minute walk to O'Connell Street. I wouldn't reccommend walking at night time.

We would definitely return to the Croke Park Hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Townheadhaze,

I am grateful for your kind feedback.