“Solid Mexican food”

Ranked #399 of 2,596 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Mexican, South American, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are closed at the moment as are moving to No 5 Aston Quay, Temple Bar, Dublin 2. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. We are Dublin's best Mexican eatery and have great plans for the new venue. The Chef Oman is working hard to bring very best authentic Mexican dishes to satisfy all palates. We are glad to hear that our followers are still waiting for The Hungry Mexican Restaurant to open its door again.
Ennis, Ireland
“Solid Mexican food”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

I was surprised to find so many Mexican restaurants in Dublin - 10 years ago there was little choice. This was ranked highly for Dublin eateries, so we gave it a go!

If you're looking for fairly authentic Mexican flavours, you're not likely to go too wrong here. Food was well-flavoured if not toned down a little for the Irish palette. I found the mains to be tasty (and ample), though the "Mexican" rice was quite poor (it was frankly the only thing that tasted like it came out of a packet). The (made-on-premise) tortilla strips should have been chips, but the variety of salsa to go along with them was very tasty. I can highly commend the fried ice cream (batter was made with Hobnobs).

Family-wise, there was not really anything of interest on the kids menu: a cheese quesadilla and something else equally unmemorable. Perhaps ask for a kid-sized portion of the chilli beef tacos - the adult portion was way too much food for a child!

Price-wise, it might be comparable with Dublin prices but I can tell you that it's about 50% more than what one would pay down the country - if only we could get a decent Mexican :)

1 Thank mieslep

• Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“UNREAL VALUE”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

I am a Dublin native returning home from London on a visit. Was brought here by my friends and was blown away by the service and friendliness of the staff. The food is excellent and the portion sizes are insane.

We had a great night in a really cool and quirky environment.

Biting into my taco I could've been in Guadalajara. Delish job

2 Thank Zi G
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Best Mexican in Dublin”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Make the trip to Bolton street and eat in this Mexican restaurant.The fresh homemade delicious dishes really speak for themselves but the lovely waitress is also what makes us go back & back to the Hungry Mexican! We ve been eating here since it opened last year.Its great for before or after a trip to cinema. we' ve tried many items from their menu, and they've all been fresh & so tasty but we keep going back and murdering the tequila chicken wings and their Chimichanga (deep fried burrito)! The place is really relaxing and colourful and the waitress is so welcoming, you want to stay for hours drinking juicy jugs of margaritas. The Hungry Mexican deserves every success. We'll be back again soon.

1 Thank Claire I
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Visited this little restaurant after reading several good reviews. Had a couple of drinks in the bar before our meal served by a great barman by the name of George and chatted to a couple of nice regulars. The restaurant itself is tucked in behind the bar and is cosy and nicely decorated. I liked the paper tablecloths and crayons to encourage budding artists whilst waiting. Definitely try a margarita or two - they are so tasty and only €5 before 7 p.m! The litres of margarita are also great value. Our waitress Kate was kind and friendly and gave great service. Hearing about the super sized portions I opted for a pulled pork and chorizo chimichanga with the hot salsa and boy was it good - absolutely delicious but I'm sorry to say that despite not having a starter this huge serving defeated me. The other meal was chicken wings and ribs which were so soft and tender. I could not believe the prices either - definitely amazing value for money. I can't wait to go back and try something else off the menu. All in all a great evening. A little off the beaten track but it is worth the effort to locate for the great food and drinks, amazing value and lovely staff.

• Visited July 2014
9 Thank bookworm7476
“Best Mexican”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I normally dont write reviews but this place deserve every success. Homemade salsas, nachos, chimmichangas were huge, so i took it home for my partner, great service, nice atmosphere. Definitely be back

1 Thank Poonam G