“Excellent, clean and great hospitality”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane
Ranked #34 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Ireland
“Excellent, clean and great hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

A wonderful new and modern hotel in the centre of the city. The room was large and even had a balcony ! The bed was very comfy and the bathroom modern and functional. The atmosphere was lovely and the hospitality was great !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
conorokane, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Hello MariaKing99,
Thank you for taking your time to review your fantastic stay with us here in Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane, the feedback is greatly appreciated.
Conor O’Kane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights from the 21 December to the 26 December. Travelling from Thailand we arrived quite early at 730am on the morning of the 21 December and was checked right in into a lovely room on the 5th floor overlooking the street with a balcony. King size bed, small sitting area, and a great powerful hot shower.
Our rate included daily breakfast which was above average for a breakfast buffet with plenty of everything including yogurt, cheese and fresh fruit. The staff in the breakfast room were always friendly including Christmas Day.
We had a specifically chosen the hotel for the pool and gym and we were not disapointed as it is world class.
The location of the hotel is ideal for somethings and maybe a bit far for others, for example it is across the street from the Bord Gais Energy Theatre where we saw an excellent production of Oliver the Musical. Several great restaurants are nearby including Elys Wine Bar. The walk into town (Grafton Street) is maybe a bit far for some as it takes realistically about 20 minutes and we are fast walkers. We enjoyed the walk along the river and on other days we cut through side streets which is a bit faster. I suppose the weather will make a difference but the 5 days we were there the weather was cold but no rain.
The hotel staff were efficient and generally friendly. I had them arrange a taxi for Christmas Day to Clontarf Castle and was not a problem. I had emailed the hotel several times before coming as I had several questions and were all answered promptly and efficently.
Anybody travelling to Dublin I would whole heartily recommend this hotel and this does not come lightly as I'm quite picky about where I stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front have balconys overlooking the street
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank flightcrew1
Hello Flightcrw1,
Thank you for leaving such a lovely review of Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I am very pleased to see you had a great stay and the team here in the hotel ensured this every step of the way. I hope we can welcome you back soon.
Bath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel is very easy to get to from Dublin Airport. You take the 747 airlink bus from outside the terminal and get off at the convention centre (2nd stop) and just walk across the bridge to the hotel. It costs €6 or €10 return. I believe a taxi will cost iro €25 depending on the time of day.

Check in – We arrived early but were able to check in. The process was easy and the staff welcoming.

Room – Large, comfortable, clean and well reasonably well equipped (no mini fridge or safe – see below). Apart from the obvious, we had 2 easy chairs, coffee table, iron and board, kettle and tea and coffee making facilities. Ice bucket (ice machine on landing. So we used this to chill our milk and drinks). There is also free Wi-Fi which seemed to work ok.

Staff – Very friendly, courteous and helpful. Reception was well manned and you didn’t have long to wait to be attended to.

Location – Right by the river it was about a 15 brisk walk to Temple Bar and O’Connell Street. There were plenty of taxis around, and the fare to Temple bar ranged from €5 – 10 depending on the route they took and the traffic. There was nothing much in the immediate area apart from the theatre opposite, but we got a really good deal so even having to use taxis made it a great location.

Leisure facilities – Excellent swimming pool. Steam room gym etc. you have to wear a swimming hat which put me off to start with, but then everyone is in the same position. You can buy one for about €4 which I did.

Food – We didn’t eat in the hotel so can’t comment, we had drinks there one evening and the prices seemed very average for a hotel so no complaints. There were a number of bars and seating wasn’t a problem.

Lack of Secure boxes/Safe – When we checked in I asked for the key to the hotel safe, I was told the rooms didn’t have them. They did have some lockable boxes in reception but they were all taken. When I asked what I should do I was told to come back in the morning as somebody may have checked out. We then had 24 hours where we had to leave, I pads, passports my husband’s life saving drugs and other valuable in our room in a locked suitcase. Anybody could have walked away with the suitcase and we would have been totally stuck.

The next day I went to reception and was told they still didn’t have any, but Martin said he would keep one for me once people had checked out, and to see him later that day. When we returned from sightseeing Martin told me that the key had been put to one side for me, but that somebody else had taken it. The DM got involved at this point and offered to move us to the 5th floor where the rooms have safes. This was not an option unfortunately as I suffer from Vertigo and have to have a low room. The DM offered us the manager’s safe overnight as only 2 people have access. However by the time I had got to our room Martin had found us a key and the problem was solved. Thank you Martin.

However this could have had serious consequences; we only had two options, one was to take everything with us and risked my bag being lost or snatched, or leave our valuables in our room unattended... I spend a lot of time travelling and for this class of hotel I would expect a safe, even some of the 3* hotels in Spain we used to stay in when the children were younger had this facility as standard.

Would I stay there again? Probably not unless I was guaranteed a safe, which looks unlikely. What this experience has taught me though, is that I will always check before making a booking, as this was not a problem I had even envisaged for a 4* hotel.

Room Tip: By all accounts if you want a safe in your room ask for the 5th floor!
2 Thank cg26Bath
Hello Cg26Bath,
Thank you for taking your time to review Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane and all of the departments you experienced during your time with us. I am sorry to see there was a slight issue with securing you a personal safe. However I am pleased to see this was rectified. I would not like to see this as a reason you do not return as you seem to have had an excellent stay otherwise. If you intend on travelling to Dublin again please contact my Guest Relations Manager on gr.cardifflane@maldronhotels.com. She can arrange to have a safe guaranteed on arrival for you and your husband. We all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
worcestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We have just stayed at the hotel for three nights for my wife's birthday. We had a fantastic stay. We arrived at the hotel at 10am where we were checked in straight away which was fab. It meant that we could dump our bags and head out! The airlink bus stop is a 5 minute walk away just across the river. the hotel is about a 15 minute bus transfer from the airport. The hotel is a 10-15 min walk away from o'connell street and temple bar. So this is an ideal hotel if you want a quiet hotel but do not mind a bit of walking to the noisier/busier parts of the city. The breakfast was good but i Think you don't want to go down too late because reception has a notice saying that the final hour of breakfast is the busiest. Our room was nice and spacious but we had to turn the heating off because it got too hot for us. We used the leisure facilities but couldn't use the swimming pool because you have to wear a swimming hat. you could buy one from the club vitae reception but i have never seen this rule ever before so we just hopped in the jacuzzi All the staff were very pleasant and helpful...the hotel is a real credit to the city of Dublin.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Banwoo,
Thank you for your lovely review of Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane, I am delighted we made your trip to Dublin a memorable one. Please bear us in mind on your next visit to Dublin.
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

The Maldron offers a friendly down-to-earth and yet totally professional hotel experience. We choose it because of its proximity to the Board Gais Theatre where we went to see 'Oliver', in the hope that 'Oliver' would kick start our Christmas but it turned out to be the Maldron which did it instead! Everything from the front reception staff to the complimentary Mulled Wine was there to make sure our stay was enjoyable, memorable and worth every euro. By chance we met with the general manager, Conor O'Kane and he turned out to be the extra star on our Christmas experience. So, if any of the people who posted a negative review, and were asked by Conor to call him...do it! This guy only wants to ensure that your voice is heard and that your angst is resolved, although personally I think you're being a little pedantic. For us, it could not have better and we will go again....hopefully soon!

Room Tip: Wi-Fi was important to us and we were greatly reassured to learn that it was available throughout ev...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hello Dermot M,
Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to review Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I am delighted to see that the team and I were able to ensure your Christmas stay was most enjoyable. We all look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit.
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed on Christmas eve for 2 days. We decided to have an early night on xmas eve due to being up early the next morning. My wife took herbal sleeping pills to help her sleep but just before we fell asleep the pipes burst outside our room, There was a woman screaming in the corridor and a porter came up and just stood there looking giving no reassurance or telling people what to do.Had to go outside while the fire brigade came. When we got back in we were told we had to change rooms and to wait while the dm got our keys. 30 minutes later nobody had come so I seen the porter who laughed and said the dm probably forgot us, i had to ask him to check it out and 15 minutes later he came back with a different manager with keys for the room we were in. We had to wait again for our new room keys and were given a worse room. By the time we got settled my wife's sleeping pills had worn off so she couldn't sleep so she wasn't feeling well all Christmas day. The only good thing about the hotel were the 2 guys on reception Xmas eve and the DM on Xmas day who was very helpful

1 Thank keith_rizlee
conorokane, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Hello keith_rizlee,

Thank you for taking your time to leave your feedback. I am saddened to see you had such a disappointing stay with us and thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. Please note that this is far from the regular standard of customer care practised at Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I would be very grateful to you if you could call me on my mobile +353 87 968 2123 to discuss this matter.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Warm regards,
Conor O'Kane
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We had a very enjoyable stay in this hotel. We had a very comfortable room, a great dinner in the restaurant and the breakfast was excellent. All staff were very friendly and efficient and we have highly recommended the Maldron to friends and family!! Thank you for everything, I'm sure we will see you again soon, Margaret.

1 Thank MargaretDec2012
Hello Margaret2012,
I am delighted to see you had such an enjoyable stay with us here in Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. Thank you for posting your kind comments.