“A good hotel in quite a good location - with a pool, too!”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane
Ranked #33 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
London, United Kingdom
“A good hotel in quite a good location - with a pool, too!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Have just returned from a very enjoyable birthday weekend in Dublin, staying at this hotel. The location is good, being a short taxi journey, or @ 30min leisurely walk, into the heart of Dublin. Easy to get to from the airport, using the bus. 10 Euros for a return journey and the stop is just by the bridge on the opposite bank of the Liffey - approx 150 - 200 metres to walk from there. The hotel itself is very clean - both in the public areas and the room itself. We didn't eat there in the evening, but we did use the bar and the prices were pretty much the average, for Dublin in general. Breakfast was fine, being a standard buffet type affair, with all the normal hot options available. The hotel has quite a large pool, together with a steam room, sauna, jacuzzi and gym. If you have hair, you are required to wear a swimming cap in the pool - if you don't have one, they sell them at the pool reception for 2.50 euros. If you are only using the sauna, etc, then you don't need one. The hotel was very busy when we stayed, but the staff remained very polite, helpful and courteous at all times. The only reason this review is 4 stars instead of 5, is that there is no air conditioning in the rooms (we were on the fifth floor and i'm assuming all rooms are pretty much the same). We found it a little hot and stuffy in the room, but if you open the balcony doors, then it's too noisy to sleep. All in all, though, a very good hotel and one I would recommend and consider using again, for future visits.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
conorokane, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Hello pgtkc,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane and recommending us. I am delighted to see you have had such a pleasant stay with us here.
Conor O’Kane,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed here for several nights in Dublin. It is a 15 minute walk to the city center but not bad if the weather is good. You can walk along the river all the way into town. Breakfast was a pretty nice buffet with a lot of choices.They do need to improve the shower soap they provide as it is just one bottle on the wall (cheapest stuff available).
The staff was helpful and polite which was good as the hotel was packed and it was a busy weekend. All in all it was a good stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
conorokane, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Hello ternd, Thank you for reviewing Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, found my staff helpful despite the busy weekend. I am sorry to see you were dissatisfied with some parts of your stay, I will ensure your feedback is utilised correctly and hope to be able to welcome you back to Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane in the very near future.
St. Pete Beach, Fl
Reviewed September 21, 2012

If you like the very modern look, you will love the Maldron. It's a little cold looking for my tastes, but it is also very restful looking and extremely clean. The staff is extremely pleasant and helpful.
Breakfast was plentiful and tasty with plenty of fresh fruit.

Room Tip: There is no air conditioning, so if you are traveling in summer, you might find it a problem. Even...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hello Firebird8, Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our wide selection of breakfast and found my staff extremely helpful. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team; we hope to welcome you back to The Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane in the near future.
Aurora, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The hotel met my needs -- it is close to the conference centre -- breakfast was included - it was adequate. Clean, nice rooms - not outstanding but certainly acceptable. Within walking distance to many attractions. I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
conorokane, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Hello Melanna, Thank you for taking the time to review The Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I am pleased to read that our hotel met all your needs during your last stay with us. Do Keep an eye out on our website for fantastic deals on your next visit. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane in the very near future.
Ireland
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed at the Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane a few weeks back, but am only getting to write a review now. From Check-In to Check-Out this was an excellent hotel experience and I only have good things to say about the place.

We were checked in by a lovely and polite receptionist, Cara. Throughout our stay Cara was on hand to assist us with our queries and to call us taxis and give advice as to the best places to go in Dublin.

The bedroom was extremely clean and well appointed. We had an iron and board as well as an ice bucket in our room which was great as you usually have to ask for them in most hotels. The bed was large and comfortable and the toiletries were mainstream branded products as opposed to cheap own brands like most hotels have. The free wi-fi in the room was a major plus.

The restaurant in the hotel was excellent and the service top class. So good that we ate there both nights. Gearoid the manager in the restaurant was an absolute gent and was more than willing to ensure my dietary requirements were met. Our waiter on both nights Ante was extremely charming as well as entertaining. The food was excellent from the lamb chops I had on the first night to the fillet steak on the second night. Breakfast was also in the same restaurant each morning and while it was buffet, which I generally don't care for; this buffet had a great selection and the food was very fresh. There was an older gentleman serving us at breakfast, Pat who is a credit to the hotel. So friendly and accommodating.

The bar was very good too. The service for drink was friendly and prompt. The only little niggle I have is that you cannot sit at the bar counter as there are no stools there. But this is a minor issue. We didn't eat in the bar so I cannot comment on the food there.

The swimming pool was very good too. It is a large and spacious pool and although it was busy, you still didn't feel crowded.

This is a top class 4* hotel. Convenient to the city centre with excellent facilities. But most importantly it has some brilliant staff who are so friendly and accommodating. We will be back and will most definitely recommend!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
conorokane, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, October 21, 2015
Dear HotelGuestIreland

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane has recently re-branded as Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane. We are currently reviewing all historic reviews both positive and constructive feedback so as to enhance guest experience moving forward. We hope to see you again soon at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane and once again thank you for your contribution.

Kind regards,
Conor O’Kane
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The Maldron is an excellent accommodation option, particularly if you're going to be at the Convention Centre, O2 venue or major theatre across the road.

The only thing to be wary of is the interconnecting rooms - the doors dividing them are really thin, so you can hear absolutely everything going on in your neighbour's room! We called and asked to be moved (which the hotel promptly agreed to), then changed our mind and decided to ride it out - we were lucky because our neighbours left on the second day and we had good sleep after that!

Otherwise everything is in order here: comfortable rooms and beds, a good bathroom (although lacking amenities like soaps, shampoos etc), free wireless, a good buffet breakfast, efficient staff....I could go on.

It's not so near to the city centre (10 minutes in a cab without traffic) but is perfect if you need to be in this part of town.

Room Tip: Ensure you are not in an interconnecting room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hello Aimoverseas, Thank you for taking the time to review Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us but I am disappointed to hear that our usual standards were not met during your stay. I thank you for bringing this issue to my attention; I will ensure your feedback is utilised correctly and hope this will not deter you from staying with Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane in the future.
Conor O'Kane,
Vaxjo, Sweden
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Someone should explain to the staff at the reception that smiling and being nice is NOT a crime or a sign of ineffektiveness.
Big rooms with almost no toilette extras (no balsam, no shower cup, no soap) and the hair dryer well hidden in a drawer. An old TV with 9 channels (only British and Irish). No wi-fi in the rooms.
Mediocre breakfast and problems with refilling yoghurt, milk, etc.
I asked for a cappuccino and they dared to ask to pay an extra charge of 2.99 €. What? Aren't 199 € per night enough to cover some more milk?
The woman at the reception almost got a hearth attack when we asked her to order a minivan to the airport. Too much work, my dear?
Definetly not worth the price.

1 Thank Svevanena
conorokane, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Hello Svevanena,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am disappointed to hear you did not have a good experience. You can be assured your comments will be addressed.
I would be most grateful if you could call me on my mobile +353 87 968 2123 as I would like an opportunity to discuss this with you further or alternatively you can e-mail me on gr.cardifflane@maldronhotels.com
Conor O'Kane