“Lovely service, lovely stay, not central Dublin”
Review of Sycamore House

Sycamore House
and 1 more site!
Sycamore House
Ranked #74 of 150 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Imelda was lovely and made an amazing Irish breakfast that kept us fed all day. Was a bit of a hike to get to Dublin downtown by bus, but it was easy to drive out in our rented car to the countryside and the airport. Comfortable clean room.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stayed in sycamore house for a few days. All I can say about it is positive. Imelda is a very nice person and made our stay really easy. We all enjoyed it there and everybody was trying to help us with everything. Breakfast was good and enough for all of us. All the rooms a very clean.
I think I´ll come back soon.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank propalla
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I called when I was on the train up to Dublin and was promptly informed by the girl working (not the proprietor) that I could only arrive between 5 and 5.30. Accepting that as the arrival time, I went about my business in Dublin that day (with all my luggage) only to be called by the same girl and told that she would actually be around at 4.30, and asked if I could come then. By this stage I couldn't change the plans that I had made because I was in the middle of doing what I'd gone to Dublin to do, so I apologetically told her no. By this stage it was clear to me that she was just trying to take the mick and only be in the B&B for the five minutes it would take to show us our room.

When we arrived, the B&B was lovely and well kept. I met the girl, who was very friendly towards us. The room we were given was minuscule which I found unusual because there were only three other guests there besides us. If that room is considered to be one that they prioritise then I'd hate to see the rooms they put people in as a last resort...

In the morning, we rose at 8.30 for breakfast, which was only served at the sickening hour of 8 to 9am, ridiculously. I previously ran a B&B in Killarney where we served breakfast from 9 to 12, when people are actually awake, so I found this time sort of outrageous. After the mediocre breakfast (cremated rasher, 2 nice but small sausages and an egg with two slices of toast, a thimble of orange juice and a pot of tea... the bad things sort of cancel out the good), cooked by the proprietor's daughter, myself and my boyfriend returned to bed and slept, setting an alarm for 10.50 as we were informed that checkout was at 11 (again, a stupidly early check-out time). We were only able to arrive at 4pm so our €70 got us 18 hours in this place. Even though the girl had told us that we were checking out at 11, she knocked on the door at 10.45 and asked to "Settle the bill" as she was going out. I was absolutely outraged but said nothing.

I'm sure the proprietor is probably a lovely woman and that many people have had pleasant stays at this B&B but the girl we dealt with was an absolute freeloader who didn't give a toss about the guests she was dealing with. Charisma will only get you so far if you're being an impolite idiot that I have to work around when I'm paying you money. This experience of Sycamore House was so bad that I doubt I'll ever go back, even though it's in a pretty convenient spot for the things I get up to in Dublin.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Pandorly
sycamorehouse, Owner at Sycamore House, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2010

I am answering this review on behalf of my friend,and my daughter also. I recived a phone call two weeks previous to this girls arrival enquiring if I had a vacancy of a double-room ensuite as her sister had a new baby and lived locally. I assured her we had with the definite understanding it would be 5pm before she could be arrive as i would be away but my friend (who incidentally lives here with my family also)would be here to greet her any time after that.this was "no problem" she stressed as she was visiting so close by.We shared pleasantries and I gave her a discounted price 70€ with full irish breakfast. My friend once again assured this girl when she telephoned at 8.30 am that she would be there to greet her at the latest 5pm but if she was home any earlier she would contact her.This girl was phonedagain by my friend to let her know she was home earlier and that she could come at her convience which she did. She was told the times of breakfast 8.00am-9.30 and departure time 11am following which is the norm for B&B, after all this young lady ran a B&B and surely must know the cleaning lady has other commitments after her few hours work.I would dearly love to book in to this B&B in Kilarney and get up at 12pm for my breakfast and laze around until 2pm it sounds a dream! My daughter greeted this young lady and her boyfriend at 8.30am and gave them the exact irish breakfast every other guest has had since I opened my buisness in 1995.In fact she kindly informed my friend it was " a lovely" breakfast. True 10.50 am my friend knocked politley at the bedroom door for payment as it was not forecoming the night before.The bedroom this guest was given is a double (5 ft.bed) good sized en-suite with walk-in wardrobe.The house had one other room vacant which was a large family-room and some of the other guests(more than 3 by the way) are actually on tripadvisor just before this young ladies review.I tried to call this guest after I read the totally misleading review and also texed her, but no response maybe the fact that the bed was saturated when cleaning lady entered to clean it just might have something to do with it and 70€ which she paid would not have covered the extra time given to this room.Hope this response makes it clear to my past and future guests and I will always try and make them feel they are "home from home". Also many thanks to my daughter and dear friend who had only nice compliments this particular weekend!,and lets hope they are of the forgiving nature and know it is so hard to get it 100% right for everyone.Looking forward to all my old and new guests and "mi casa es tu casa"

Reviewed July 26, 2010

My cousin and I came from Canada to take over the affairs of an aging family member and Sycamore House was picked mainly because of it's location and then it's reviews. What an absolute gem of a place this turned out to be. Super clean, comfortable, great breakfasts, friendly and accomodating staff. Our landlady Imelda, made us feel at home instantly and took great care of us for the 6 days we were there. As a business lady she became our go to person in relation to dealing with the family home. i.e. Real estate agents, contractors and such. She took the time to come over to the family home and lend her advice and experience as to what to do. Thank you Imelda for everything. We got to calling her Mom in spite of the fact she was nearly 10 years younger then both of us. In the evening we relaxed with a drink in her back garden with other guests. I would recommend Sycamore House to anybody who desires a very friendly home away from home.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I was in Dublin for a work conference and my husband was due to join me so we could have a 5 week honeymoon. Unfortunately the Eyjafjallajokull volcano eruption meant that he was delayed in Abu Dhabi for 6 days and I had to find accommodation at the last minute to wait for his arrival.

As I had checked out of my accommodation to head to Holyhead before I received the call my husband had managed to get a flight to Dublin, the taxi driver took me to Sycamore House at 7am one morning to see if there was accommodation available. Imelda, the proprietor, was most gracious in taking me in, feeding me breakfast and getting me into a room at such an early hour.

Imelda was accommodating from beginning to end. Any question or request I had was met with warmth and responsiveness, she even let me do a load of washing! The accommodation was clean and comfortable and well located to Dublin city centre (there is a bus stop right outside).

I would recommend this place to people who are looking for budget accommodation that is good value. Continental breakfast is included with the option to pay 5 euro for a hot breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2010

I just came back from lovely holidays in Ireland. I stayed in Sycamore House with my wife and two little doughters. It's a place worth to recommend, we had a really friendly welcome and lovely service with a proper Irish Breakfast. House is located near the city centre so it was a great location and it save us some time. Thank you, Mick McFinnegan

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank MickMcFinnegan
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Imelda is always so welcoming and bends over backwards to make our stays comfortable and pleasant. Sycamore House is spotless and lovingly cared for - one lacks for nothing as a guest here. Even in rainy Dublin, we've found a bright spot to look forward to when we visit.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple