“Lost reservation and no apology”
Review of Adelphi Guesthouse

Adelphi Guesthouse
Ranked #87 of 150 Dublin B&B and Inns
Wiesbaden
“Lost reservation and no apology”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We planned a trip to Ireland a few weeks in advance and booked several B&Bs across the country. The Adelphi reservation wasn't going through online so we e-mailed the guesthouse and explained the situation. They immediately responded that our reservation was guaranteed. When we arrived at Adelphi (after having a hard time finding it), a gentleman met us at the door having just gotten a room key from an extremely unhappy couple. When we mentioned our reservation the gentleman went to look and came back asking if we had any more information, because he couldn't find the reservation. We mentioned the situation and told about the e-mail and offered to show him if he'll let us use the WiFi (which he was very reluctant about). Even after showing the e-mail as evidence, he told us it wasn't a reservation (even though the e-mail from Adelphi said it was) and acted pretty put-off by the situation. The whole time we couldn't shake the feeling we were doing something wrong by asking them to honor the reservation they guaranteed. He ultimately made a phone call to another guesthouse nearby and found an open room for us. This was the only positive (the only reason we're rating it 2/5 instead of 1/5) of an overwhelmingly negative customer service experience. We would certainly NOT recommend this place to anybody else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Polish first
San Diego
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Overall a pretty good B&B ... but, 42 rooms and I ended up with the small one at the top of 4 flights of stairs. In fairness, it was the only double room available upon a walk-in - unreserved.

Be sure to ask for room 40 the largest of the rooms in the middle of the building on level one.. Rooms were clean and efficient. Looks like the B&B had been recently remolded and modernized

The front desk was mostly just business and not much warm and friendly - but , very accomadating.

Room Tip: Room 40 on level one - no stairs and in the middle of the building
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Killorglin, Ireland
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Dont be fooled for one second by the pictures you'll see on sites they use to sell rooms,I felt mislead by the pictures I'd seen when I booked it,having paid 255 euro for two nights i had expected a little bit more. Not even a hello when arrived just a grunt, do we have reservations from a bald guy with glasses,we got a 10 x10 room at best with a beaufiul view of two mattress in the back yard of guesthouse,the window handles were broken, there was headboard on the bed,the sheets were too small for the bed,and we three of the flatess pillows in dublin,the dart passes every few minutes so it's quite loud. The water in the shower takes for ages to heat and the shower tray fills in seconds so your looking at flooding the place if your shower is longer than a minute, you'll hear the door bell ring every few minutes as you have to leave your room key at reception every time you leave,very annoying. the breakfast was fine but full Irish breakfasts have more than 4 items in a plate. The tv had bad signal the remote didn't work so I had to ask for batteries the look I got from the bald guy was if I had asked him for money, the location was fine,but I certainly won't be going back, we got ripped off and mislead,i know its a bed and breakfast but for over 120 a night I expected a lot more.avoid at all costs pay extra some where else if you have,this place certainly ain't worth it. I never write reviews I've never had to,sure Ive stayed in places where there been a few things wrong but nothing like this place.avoid avoid avoid

Room Tip: Don't go to the adelphi and if you are bring your own towels!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Cape Town
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Although relatively clean, this guest house reminds me of student dorm rooms. The window was broken and I could not open it. Really inconvenient, especially when Dublin has afew of its rare sunny days. I did report it to the unfriendly bald guy, but he just give me a blank stare. Same reaction when I mentioned that the television does not work. Seems that only one of the reception staff can issue invoices / receive payment. Highly frustrating if you are in a hurry.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank KarenE0
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I regularly go to this guesthouse when I'm in Dublin (every month) as well in advance it can be quite cheap, and so well situated (in the city centre). Also it's easy enough to find a cab to the airport in Lower Gardiner Street. Luke is very nice and the night keeper lovely. It is safe as we need to ring to get in the guesthouse.
The staff serving breakfast are not that nice though, and that's a pity.
Rooms have been renovated recently and its modern now, and very clean.
Enjoy your stay :)

Room Tip: Book well in advance.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I only discovered the reviews of this B&B at the airport on our way to Dublin which made me nervous because we had already booked a room for a number of nights

We arrived and were told our room had been double booked.. In my head I was thinking.. Here it goes, it's about to start..but you know what? They arranged everything and came to a conclusion that all party's were happy with. After reading reviews on here I was pleasantly suprised with our experience

Yeah you can hear the subway and Irish pub music at night, I think its part of the Ireland experence.. If you don't like it then don't stay in the heart of Dublin. There is plenty of hotels out in the suburbs.

We were given a room, a little small but nothing horrible. It was clean and comfy. Only issue we had was other guests had a party in the courtyard one night and were very loud, nothing the hotel could really do about it.

Breakfast was pretty good, bacon, eggs, beans, toast, juice - its no holiday inn but still pretty good for a small place in Dublin

As someone who lives out of hotel rooms, this place was good!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hoorn, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 11, 2012

When I arrived the man that opened the door (the already mentioned bald guy with glasses) was very unfriendly. There was no clock in the room (they would knock on the door), but I had no mobile with me (didn't think I would need it to tell the time) so had no idea what time it was. No television although it said so on my voucher, no phone. Hardly any room to put my clothes. The shower was so small. Lots of water though, warm (you just had to wait a while). The man in the morning (Indian looking guy) was very helpful and nice. The noise from the street was horrible. I hardly slept, music from the pub (O'Sheas), traffic, train, other guests. They had a system so the door would close by itself. So you would here the slamming of the doors of other rooms.
The breakfast was ok, but I had to bargain for an extra egg or sausage (no beans or bread). Very strange.

I would not go back. Only for people that have no trouble sleeping through noise and don't mind unfriendly staffmembers (the bald guy with glasses). The breakfastladies were nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo