“Nice room, friendly hosts”

Avoca House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #17 of 151 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here in March 2012 for three nights, so sorry for the late posting of this review! Jack and Audrey are very friendly and warm hosts. The room was clean and well decorated and very comfortable. It was on the small size, with a macerator loo which was a bit of a draw back- but for the price you can't complain! It was very quiet and peaceful at night. A full Irish breakfast is on offer if you want - and it was great, although there wasn't really a full veggie alternative for my husband. The location is very residential with a handful of restaurants and pubs nearby and the road is just off the bus route straight into town although you can walk too. Don't miss the botanic gardens nearby and a pint of Guiness at Kavanaghs (which also serves great food)! We arrived from the Ferry port and returned from the airport and both were reasonable cab fares away.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wildswimmer

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Me and my 2 friends stayed for 3 nights. Jack and Audrey are amazing and great hosts! They both made sure our stay was enjoyable. And their recommendations for the sites were great. Their dog, Mandy, was well behaved and sweet. I highly recommend this place if you like a nice quaint place to stay at while in Dublin. :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We atayed here for 4 nights and left feeling like special guests. Jack and Audrey are great!! Warm, friendly, and very helpful!! Avoca House is close to bus line and we loved Feagan's Pub. Clean, quiet, great breakfast, relaxing patio, and great hosts! You won't go wrong!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
mandy009, Owner at Avoca House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank you. It was a pleasure to have you stay

Reviewed January 21, 2012

I agree with other positive reviews about this comfy place, and hosts Jack and Audrey. One thing I'll add is the fact that the location, well away from the touristy inner core, allows you to see a real Dublin neighbourhood: a nice pub, a couple of shops, a great little Turkish sandwich shop, grocery store, off-licence, etc.. You'll meet a lot more locals than tourists which I really like. Plus, it's only 2 blocks from a city bus stop on a route that runs from the airport right into the core. I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank bitofasnob
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We travelled with our 10 month old son to Dublin and the moment we arrived to Avoca, we felt like home. Both hosts were really friendly and provided everything we wanted. Even an umbrella to get to the corner pub for dinner. The had a cot for the baby in our room and they have manully changed the room temperature so that the baby was feeling warm during the night.
The breakfast was basic, but good enough for the baby too. The hosts even babysat, so we had a change to enjoy a meal without interuptions.
The only thing that put me off a bit was that they had a dog. Do not get me wrong I love dogs but not in the house.
The distance to the city center was a nice walk during the day but not during the night.
The area the B&B is based looked really posh.
Overall I would definatelly stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Jack and Audrey made me feel very welcome at their lovely b&b. They are friendly and yet not intrusive. They let me leave some luggage there when I went to Paris, which was a great help. My room was spacious, with a small ensuite that was well fitted out. Yes, the shower was small, but that is not unusual..Lovely roof windows gave an excellent view of the Drumcondra rooftops. Mandy the little dog made me most welcome too, and as I was missing my dogs from back home, that was great. Avoca House is an excellent location too...close to the airport and the city. Fagans pub down the end of the road has great food. I wished I had scheduled more nights in Dublin as I loved the city, and would defintely return to this b&b.

Room Tip: Only con would be there is some noise from the hot water system in this attic room during the night...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 13, 2011

The greeting we got was very welcoming and made us feel at home straight away. The bedrooms were very clean and comfortable, there is a good lounge for guests to sit in. The breakfast was good value and plenty of it. Jack & Audrey who are the owners are very friendly and informative and advised on the best way to get around. We would recommened this to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple