“Great location - great price”

Staycity Aparthotels Christchurch
Ranked #3 of 130 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed at these apartments toward the end of September. We had a great time. Our room was spacious and clean and contained everything we were told it would. There was a good bit of street noise - but what could you possibly expect in a place right a the main street in Dublin? The staff were very helpful to us and eager to please. It is no five star accommodation - but it does not advertise itself that way. These were quality apartments in a good location - right across the street from Christ Church and St. Auden's - easily within walking distance of most things that you would want to see while visiting Dublin. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
deirdretreacy, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay us and made the most of the city center location.

We look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the not to distance future,

Kind Regards

Deirdre

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I chose Staycity as a last resort because rooms in the city centre were scarce for the dates I needed and because it was close to were I needed to go. I will not be staying there again. The location is fine during the day but at night there are more drunk and stoned people wandering around. In the room itself the TV remote.was missing and I reported it to reception in the morning before going out for the day. They said it would be replaced but wasn't. Not that much of a problem I thought. A much more serious problem was that the microwave was faulty and almost caused my evening meal to burn. The turntable inside wasn't moving but luckily I smelt burning and caught it while it was just sarting to burn. Reported it to reception who said they would get maintenance to look at it the next day. Told them I was leaving the next day and not to even think of charging me to get rid of the smell of burnt food.

• Stayed: September 2013
deirdretreacy, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor. I apologise if there was a problem with the microwave oven in your apartment. I have asked maintenance to check the oven and replace if required. I apologise there was no remote control in the apartment for your stay.
Christchurch Hall apartments are located in central Dublin, within a 5 minute walk of Temple bar and close to Dublin's night life. They are on a busy street and one can always expect there to be a large volume of traffic and pedestrians when one is so centrally located. I apologise if you encountered unsavoury characters during your stay in Dublin.

Please do not hesitate to call me if you would like to discuss your stay further

Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is falsely described as quality accommodation. The place is in the dark ages. No hot water for a start. No wait - there is hot water if you can get the system going. But then you have to wait a long time between showers for the water to heat again it says. Actually we never got any hot water despite reception saying that the maintenance man was coming. They say there is wifi but the could not get that going either. You pay hotel prices for a really ordinary place. Rip off.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I apologise that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are currently upgrading the public areas in the Christchurch hall complex and are continuously improving/upgrading the apartments. The hot water is controlled by means of a timer. The timer is automatically set to heat the water during the night, therefore there is hot water in the morning. For additional hot water there is a boost button that can be set and it heats the water, it will take approximately 20 minutes to heat the water. Instructions for operating the water heating timer are in the guest information folder in all apartments.
The internet provider is bit buzz, all guests must register with bit buzz before being able to access the complimentary internet. There is a lo-call number for assistance on registering and general information on connecting to the internet. The number is in the guest information folder.

If you would like to contact me with regard to you stay, please do not hesitate.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 10 days in early September. As I had read previous reviews about non-functioning equipment (i.e. washing machine, water pressure/temperature) and street noise, I had emailed the company a few weeks in advance to see if we could get a room that had appliances that worked properly and a room on a quieter side of the building since we were going to be there for a longer period of time. I also let them know that we would be arriving around 9 am, so if possible we would like to check in early. When we arrived, we were told that our room would not be ready until 2 pm, which left us to wander the streets all morning tired and worn out from a 10 hour flight. However, I thought maybe since we had to wait to get a room, it meant they were trying to secure us one of the better rooms.
When we arrived back at 2, our room was ready and we were able to get checked in with no problems. However, on entering our room, it did not feel very clean. Granted my husband has pretty high standards of cleanliness, but it seemed a bit shabby even to normal person's standards. So we went out and bought cleaning supplies and spent part of our first evening cleaning the apartment. We also wore our sandals in the shower because it still felt dirty even after our scrubbing it.
The shower did take some getting used to with regards to the temperature and pressure. You have to turn on the timer in the hallway 20-30 minutes prior to use and wait for the water to heat up. Then, you have to adjust the water in the shower before turning the shower head on, then once the shower head is on, you turn the water pressure box in the shower on. After a few attempts it really wasn't too bad. However, the water in the sink was another story because, there was a hot faucet and a cold faucet without any way to adjust the temperature. So you either had to wash your hands with cold water or burn your skin off.
Mid-way through our stay, we were ready to do some laundry. However, the washing machine did not work. My husband went downstairs to notify the receptionist and she seemed surprised that we wanted to do laundry and said that she would have the morning receptionist put in a request to maintenance and it should be fixed the next day. When we got back the next day it was apparent no one had been up to look at it. Whenever we would inquire about it, we got the run around about 5 or 6 times saying that someone would come look at it, but this never happened. They offered to let us use another washing machine during the day. However, we had activities planned throughout each day and did not have time to sit in a random apartment unit doing laundry during the day. Fortunately, we did pack enough clothes to get us through our trip. But the fact that the company lists a washing machine as being included and we specifically contacted them to request a working machine, and still did not receive one was highly disappointing.
They were able to place us on the back side of the building, so it was a little quieter. Though we did still get quite a bit of street noise and noticed a few seedy characters in the back alley throughout our stay. Despite this, I must say I never really felt unsafe.
Despite the issues we had with the appliances and cleanliness, it was not all bad. It was nice having a decent size apartment versus a hotel room, and was also nice to have a kitchen with microwave and fridge. Even though the staff were not able to resolve our issues, they were all polite and professional acting. The location was great - not in the middle of everything but definitely close enough to walk to everything. And we could see Christ Church Cathedral as soon as we stepped out.
For the price, I do feel that we got what we paid for, for the most part. If our appliances would have worked and the facility felt cleaner, it would have been a much better experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor. I am happy to hear that you did enjoy your stay with us, despite a few issues you had. Thank you for your nice words about the staff and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the larger space and facilities the apartment provides compared to a hotel room and it's convenient location.

We do endeavour to ensure all appliances in the apartments are working at all times, but there are times when parts or appliances fail and there is a period when these are out of order due to delays in the receipt of the necessary parts or appliances.

I apologise that the apartment was not cleaned to a acceptable standard for your stay. I am not sure if you told reception at the time of your arrival, we would have been happy to attend to any issues you had with regard to the cleanliness of the room

The water heating is controlled by the timer in the hall. The water heats automatically during the night, for additional hot water, there is a boost button which can be set by the guest at any time during the day. I have asked maintenance to check the temperature of the water in the apartments to ensure it is set to the correct temperature.

Thank you for you feedback, we do appreciate your comments and based on your feedback we will endeavour to provide a better service for our guests.

If you would like to discuss you stay with me, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Recently stayed here by accident but it was no nice surprise. Staff unhelpful and clearly hate there job. Was given the keys to a room which someone was already in and also wasn't the put in the apartment block which I had booked and paid. Was not notified of this until I arrived at the apartments I was meant to stay at. Also was charged twice which I am still waiting to receive a refund for. Clearly not worth the money... for a few extra pounds you can stay in a nice hotel with pleasant staff.

Room Tip: didn't get a room that faces high street as the church bells will wake you up really early.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Andrew S
Reviewed September 17, 2013

From the moment I stepped into the lift (elevator) and saw the state of it, with broken buttons and scratches everywhere, I knew this was not going to be the place I expected, given the star rating. Mold in the bathrooms, dirty towels, a piece of open soap left over from use, plumbing from 50 years ago (the water system needs an extra pump, the hot and cold water taps don't connect so it's either very cold or scalding)... the list goes on.

If you go in expecting a 1 to 2 star apartment (and pay accordingly) and have to be in the Christchurch area, you might find it acceptable.

I'm never staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank cmmi19
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Staycity Christchurch is in a great location and definitely worth checking out. The convenience of having a full kitchen and a washer/dryer was definitely appreciated. With the windows shut, the street noise was minimal. Bus station across the street and a tram station 10 minutes away (you walk by the Brazen Head). Staff was very friendly and professional. Some items of note:

-Unless you pay extra, the rooms aren't cleaned until the 7th day of your stay (you are told that up front). That makes sense since it seems the average stay is for 2 to 4 days. Wasn't a big deal for my mother and me (you're given plenty of towels).
-Other reviewers have had issues with hot water for showering. We did NOT have an issue. The hot water for the bathroom needs to be heated prior to showering, which is easy and just takes a bit of foresight. Thorough instructions on how to operate water heater booster were located on the apartment entrance door. Maybe this is an outdated system (I've never seen it before) but it works.
-Staff more than willing to give directions, etc.

Trinity College is a leisurely 15 walk away. Christchurch across the street. Dublin Castle less than 5 minutes away. Many restaurants to choose from. If you leave Staycity and turn left, there is a pharmacy a block or so away. Also a Spar grocery but that's very small, so if you keep going down the street, you'll find a bigger Tesco, after several more blocks.

Other reviewers have indicated that their are unsavory characters in the area. There is a bar across the street but we never had any issues (though on the weekend we were there, there were obvious drunk people out and about), and never felt unsafe.

While Staycity isn't a luxury hotel, and for the price, one shouldn't expect it to be. But I enjoyed it and I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Street noise isn't too bad if windows are closed but if you want them open, or are a light sleep...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family