“Birthday party”

Ranked #87 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Birthday party”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Recently celebrated my birthday at the hotel with the extended family. We were well looked after by Noreen (Events manager) and her colleagues on the night, making it an enjoyable experience for everyone. This was on a Saturday night so we enjoyed the good music and dancing provided in the public lounge. Some of the guests stayed the night and everyone was complimentary of the accommodation and breakfast, While the bathrooms may be on the small size they are clean and adequate. We met a lady on the night who was celebrating her 101st birthday. She was celebrating the occasion with her family as she has done for the past 9 years.
If you needed a good endorsement for the hotel - what better than that could you get.
MarVin .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Vinmar132
112GaryS, Manager at West County Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Marvin,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your birthday at the hotel. I will pass on your kind words to Noreen and the rest of our team here and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kind Regards,
Ulick Colgan,
Marketing Manager,
The West County Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Polish first
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Old and dated hotel, rudest staff and definitely the rudest manager of a hotel you will ever meet, food is terrible, over priced, tiny portions, even had to send the guinness back-It was undrinkable (I am Irish by the way).Save yourself the hassle and money and find a place that appreciates your business. Please don't find out the hard way.

Room Tip: You will get a cleaner, better, newer and friendlier hotel for the same price. I would hate for any...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Piginapanda
112GaryS, Manager at West County Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Piginapanda,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to read your experience during your stay did not meet the usual high expectations we set ourselves. It would be very rare that our staff would be termed "rude", so I would very much appreciate it if you could contact me so we can discuss your stay in further detail.

I would like to say that we appreciate each and every one of our guests and the business they bring and I would hope your experiences at the hotel do not affect any future outlook on the hotel. As I mentioned, if you wish to contact me to discuss your stay in greater detail, please do not hesitate to contact me using the details below.

Kind Regards,
Ulick Colgan
Marketing Manager
The West County Hotel.
Tel: 01 626 4011.
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

We had a family do at the hotel and the staff were amazing, nothing was too much trouble!

The hotel is a bit dated but very clean and the beds were extremely comfy. The bathrooms were serviceable and for 51euros a night (which included a three course dinner and breakfast) you couldn't really ask for more.

Would definitely recommend if you're not a room snob!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Laurawilko
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Just got back to England tonight after a wonderful weekend break in Dublin. We have never stayed in 2 star hotel before, so this was going to be a new experience. The hotel is situated about 15 minutes from both Dublin airport and the City, therefore quite convenient. It is also on the main bus route with several buses stopping outside the hotel every 15 minutes or so.

Outside of the hotel was not very enchanting, however when we entered the hotel the experience was different. Warmly greeted by the young receptionist, who after checking us in suggested various places to visit and more importantly, how to get there.
The bedroom was very comfortable, bathroom was a little small.Tea/coffee making facilities were available, as was iron board with iron.

Evening meal was excellent with many choices available.In true Irish style, the hotel bar and staff were extremely helpful. We stayed in there until 2:00amish.The full Irish breakfast was something to behold. My wife being vegetarian was well catered for.

Although this hotel looked tired, in need of a little TLC you may say, the experience was wonderful.I would thoroughly recommend this hotel on the experience we just had.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank james w
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed in this hotel on Sunday the 23rd September. My wife had a voucher for a Ferrari drive experience with Golden moments (brilliant experience by the way) and the deal included a stay in this hotel. We had been down in my home place in Kilkenny and decided we would do the experience on our way back. When we found the hotel I have to say I was a bit apprehensive when I saw the front of it as it doesnt look the best. But, that all changed as soon as we walked in the door. In fairness it doesnt look a very modern hotel, but has a feel of the old 70s, 80s hotels most of us (in the "80s kids" bracket) remember being at weddings and christenings etc, the....."red designed carpet, dark wood" look. Which to me I find very "homely", and did through out my stay. The first staff member we met was the receptionist who was very welcoming and was very interested in the ferrari experience and took time to talk to us...which is something that doesnt happen very much in the bigger hotels. A real nice welcome..a proper "cead mile failte" welcome. I found the room smaller than normal but it was very comfortable, which was a bit cold at first, but to the other reviewers.....theres a valve on the radiator that regulates the heating.....just in case your stuck again :). It heated up very quickly and the room was nice a warm in minutes.
We met friends of ours in the bar later on for a drink and we had bar food, which I thought was lovely. The barstaff were extremely friendly and one of the barmen even sat down and started talking to us (even though the bar was busy). The kids were extremely welcomed and all the staff were friendly to them, messing with them etc. It was the same with the staff the next morning at breakfast, the kids were given loads of attention and the lady serving us held a conversation with us ( as well as when we were leaving and she was going home she came over to wish my wife good look with her drive).
The only fault with the hotel is that they need to try and clean up the front and maybe brighten it with paint, flowers, maybe get rid of half of the car park and turn it into a garden or something. But other than that.....well done to the friendliness of the staff and the warm feeling in this hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend for the half marathon. The hotel is a short bus ride to Phoenix Park and 15ish minutes from downtown.

The staff were very friendly, polite and helpful. The rooms are very comfortable and nice. The bangers and mash at the restaurant is quite good. The breakfast was very good and filling.

Overall very recommendable!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank palypat
carrick
Reviewed September 15, 2012

To be honest, I wouldn't normally book a hotel this low on the ratings, but by the time we realised our Leonard Cohen concert was finishing too late to return to Belfast, there wasn't much choice left. BUT!!- we really enjoyed our one night stay. It's true that the place is a little old, and not spotless, but it was very clean and comfy, had all the facilities we needed inc iron and ironing board- without having to request it, a great selection of tv channels and decaff coffee which our last expensive hotel didn't have. The shower was good and no problem getting hot water. The staff were lovely, reception so helpful, and bar and breakfast staff very pleasant. Our food in the bar at tea time was good, no complaints about portion size, and price ok. -under ten pounds each for pasta (with yummy fresh ham) and lasagne, breakfast was very nice too. I have been in hotels with more choice and also less choice, it
varies a lot, not important. We personally didn't hear noise from entertainment but may have been fortunate in where our room was situated at far left end of hotel. Some minor noise from other guests but not major problem, we got to sleep and slept well in the very comfy beds. one double and single -all for under total of £60. -b&b for 2! You can't beat that. Next time I go to Dublin we will stay here and travel into city centre, and save a lot of money so we can have more breaks. I am really glad we were late booking and made this discovery.

Room Tip: choose front for view, opposite end to entertainment room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple