“Superb!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Banyi Japanese Dining
Ranked #61 of 2,528 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Banyi Japanese Dining is a hidden gem. A warm and traditional Japanese decor and welcoming staff will await for you in Temple Bar. Be amazed by our wonderful dishes which will entertain both your taste buds and eyes. Our menus are a meticulous selection of the best Japanese dishes, all homemade from the freshest ingredients by our highly experienced Headchef.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

We just happened to stumble across this place, but WOW! Amazing food, fabulous service and great value. I can't recommend it enough. Go and find out for yourself!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Fri3dtomato, Marketing Director at Banyi Japanese Dining, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
We cannot express our highest gratitude enough for this review, Richard R. Glad you loved our food and service. We'd love to welcome you back!

• Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Japanese Gem in Temple Bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

The Japanese cuisine is one of my favorites, so when a little birdie (okay, so maybe it was actually an ad on Facebook) told me that there's a new Japanese in town, I had to try it.

Today, myself and two friends spontaneously decided to go for dinner so we made Banyi our destination of the evening. I have to say that the fact it's in Temple Bar made me a tiny bit hesitant, as I tend to steer clear from Temple Bar. However, there are a few Gems (Il Vicoletto and Vintage Cocktail Club, anyone?!) so I thought why not, can't miss out on trying a new Japanese place just because it's in Temple Bar!

We got there quite early (6 pm-ish) and got seated right away as we were the only customers in there but that wasn't for long! By the time we left (7.30 pm) it was pretty full - not bad considering that they've only been open for eight (8!) days and haven't done ANY advertising so far besides Facebook!

They've done a nice job with the interior with dark wooden tables & chairs and vintage Japanese photo prints on the walls. Staff were very, very friendly and welcoming, so that's immediately a plus for me.

They offer a set Menu (2 courses for €24, 3 courses for €29) or you can choose from a variety of dishes á la Carte - different Appetizers, Teriyaki and Udon dishes as well as Sushi and Sashimi as well as three different Bento Boxes. They also serve Wine and Beer.

I opted for Gyoza as a starter and Bento Box as my main - the Gyoza were tasty and pan-fried just the right amount. The Bento Box came with a big bowl of rice and some Miso soup. The Miso soup had a nice, strong flavor (according to Japanese friends a good Miso soup is an indicator of how good the rest of the food is) and my bento Box contained just the right amount of food.

My Bento included three different types of Nigiri and the fish was very fresh and of a really good quality. My friends both enjoyed their Bento and Chicken Chosenyaki a lot and so we decided we'd top the great food off with some dessert.

I asked one of the waiters (who I think might be the manager as we chatted to him a bit and it seemed to me he was one of the people who runs the restaurant) and he recommended the Dorayaki to me - a Japanese pancake with red bean filling, served with red bean ice-cream! He said that most Westerners don't choose this dessert as it's quite "exotic", but since I've had red bean desserts before when I went to Korea, I decided to give it a try. Turned out to be a really good choice - it was flavorful and not too sweet, which is just what I'd hoped for. Friends opted for Hot Chocolate Fondant (SO good!) and Espresso Ice Cream (don't be fooled by the name - it was Vanilla ice cream with Espresso poured over, so essentially Affogato, but very nice nonetheless.)

Overall, I really enjoyed this place and will definitely come back - staff was very attentive and friendly, and Prices are reasonable for the food as everything is freshly prepared. I did find Dessert a bit on the pricey side (€9.50), but then again, they do make everything from scratch, even the ice cream.

If you fancy something different from the usual Temple Bar Grub, definitely pay Banyi a visit!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank vaneeners
Thank you so much Vaneeners for this nice and detailed review. We're delighted to hear that you and your friends loved the food and atmosphere. At Banyi we strive to offer the best traditional Japanese food in a relaxed yet modern atmosphere.

We'd love to welcome you and your friends back soon!
“the best Japanese restaurant in Dublin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I'm Japanese myself and went this restaurant with my friend for our lunch. we once gave up trying here because here is more expensive than other Japanese restaurants, but the restaurant absolutely has enough worth!!!

we started with a salmon and avocado rolls and an ebi tempra rolls. those come with some Japanese traditional pickled radish , pickled ginger and seaweed. they have 8pieces per portion and it's huge! and taste amazingly delicious.

as my main I ordered Katsu curry Bento box. it's 9.90euros and it has much more value than the price. the dish includes some thick cut sashimi and sushi and they are super fresh! curry tastes like a real Japanese curry... what's more, it has 2 prawn tempuras as well. my friend took Tempra udon. it tastes not like Japanese but it is still nice as it is.
before i ate my main i had already felt full, so just one plate of sushi rolls could be enough.
also as a dessert, hot chocolate fondant was gorgeous.

the waiters are friendly and kind.. great service.
next time I'll try their Japanese dessert!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Shoyanyon for your review.

Delighted that you enjoy your lunch at Banyi.

We always cook and serve the best and the freshest ingredients, combining the maximum value for money with our big, abundant dishes and our Banyi service!

We look forward to welcoming you and your friend at the restaurant!
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent food, great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Food was gorgeous and freshly prepared in view of the tables. The staff were fantastic. Could not fault it!

The restaurant is located at Temple bar which also has great for EVERYTHING!!

What more can I say!! 5 STAR!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
A big thank you for your concise yet beautiful 5 star review From me and the Banyi team.

We'd be delighted to welcome you back very soon!
Dublin
“Simply fantastic!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

If your looking for something different in Temple Bar than the usual Irish Pub, then this little gem is a great find! Located in the heart of Temple Bar on Bedford Row, this Japanese restaurant is a must for a bite to eat.

Myself and my girlfriend decided to visit this evening, we were greeted with a very warm welcome and given a very nice table beside a window looking out.

We opted for the three course set menu, really good value at €29 pp! To start the chicken skewers and the calamari are great choice. The sauce that accompanied the calamari was superb. For mains again the chicken and the striploin steak, cooked to your liking with a side of rice for each. Miso soup is very tasty too!! For dessert we were overindulgent with the espresso ice cream with chocolate fondant and the green tea creme brûlée. We thoroughly enjoyed the green tea throughout the meal, it was super. To finish I had a fantastic cappuccino to top it off. All in all a fantastic restaurant, very friendly and courteous staff with an excellent service and a super atmosphere. Would definitely return again!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We are always delighted when our customers like our Banyi experience. A big thanks, AndrewIrl, for this beautiful review, from me and the Banyi team.

We'd love to welcome you back very soon!