The Marker Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
The Alex(Dublin)
3,808 results
All reviewsrooftop barcorner suitegrand canal squareunderfloor heatingdocklands areabord gaisgreat hotelmodern hotelstar hotelmini barcity centrefantastic stayweekend breaktemple barspadoormanconcierge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Lively, personal and friendly hotel (unlike so many standard hotel chains). Quite a way out of city centre but trams run every 5-10 mins so no big deal. Service, furnishings, rooms and rooftop bar all excellent. Great breakfast and free internet - go stay.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Spencer C
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Spencer C,

Thank you for posting a review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I have passed your lovely comments to the rest of the team.

There are a few different ways to get into Dublin’s city centre, like you mentioned the Luas (tram), the buses all go to town and it’s only a lovely 15-20 min walk along the quays with its great views along the river.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Warm regards

Reviewed December 30, 2013

From the moment we arrived the service in the Marker was 5* we were upgraded to a corner suite, personally I did not see this as a suite, more a larger hotel room. Valet parking was excellent, check in was seamless and receptionist was most helpful.

We had a drink in the bar (extortionate prices) before one of the best meals I've ever tasted. Service was a little slow between our starter and main, leaving us short of time as we were heading to see a show but our request to have our dessert on return to the hotel was absolutely no problem as long as we didn't mind having it in the bar (where we would be anyway)
Breakfast was very good, the scrambled egg was piping which it never is in a hotel breakfast. Again, service was ever so slightly slow.

Check out was again seamless, the porter was with us immediately to ask if we needed help or had a car to be collected.

On return home we realised we had forgotten a phone charger and also to catch the name of the wine we'd had with dinner, a quick email and both were sorted in minutes.

The very few small issues about the slight delays in service and the perhaps slight exaggeration in calling the room a luxury suite didn't stop us raving about what an amazing overall experience we had in the Marker, I would definitely recommend and we will be back to eat there again in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Stierdafa,

Thank you for posting a review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and it’s such a pleasure to know that you loved the food, all of our Chefs work really hard to bring the best prepared and carefully selected dishes to our guests tables and they are constantly upgrading and changing the menus throughout the hotel.

On behalf of the team, I thank you for your lovely comments and we wish you the very best for 2014.

I look forward to welcoming you back once again in the near future.

Warm regards

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Just back from a stay in this hotel. I was extremely excited about a night away with my partner and my best friend and her husband but sadly left extremely disappointed.
For a 5 star hotel it was no where near up to standard as 5 star hotels go this was poor very poor.
Booked dinner in the hotels restaurant , then realised that the restaurant was actually in the lobby which I found very odd. I ordered lamb to then be told that they dont have mint sauce the waitress said everybody asks but the chef continues to ignore this, strange. Instead I d3cided to order the steak medium,it was served well done and my chips cold. My partners vension was also meant to be served medium that came also overcooked. The manager was extremely apologetic and a really lovely man and gave us our mains that were not right on the house. But the meal had be spolit after all that. I had to eat my new steak whilst my friends had all finished.
Then we decided to have a few drinks in the bar and the floor staff were extremly slow with drink orders.
We were staying on the 3rd floor , complimentary paper never arrived me had to ring twice to ask them to send it up. a guy knocked on our door twice while we were snoozing to check mini bar,kinda annoying
All in all for the standard of what you would expect from a5 star hotels this does not come close. Room cost 240 for 1 night stay and I left utterly disappointed.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank truds28

Dear Truds28

Thank you for your review, I would like to apologise most sincerely for the shortcomings in service that you experienced during your stay.

We have tried to contact you in order to have the opportunity to speak with you directly and follow up with you in more detail.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed December 27, 2013

The hotel itself is a wonderful building in the heart of the Grand Canal Dock area of Dublin City. The staff were friendly and facilities were excellent. The rooftop terrace is a particularly nice touch.

We arrived at 3.15 (check-in time in 3pm) only to be told that the room was not ready. We were instructed to wait in the bar or to go up to the rooftop terrace (but not offered any sort of complimentary drink for the inconvenience). I would not usually have minded a slight delay but we had dinner reservations in the city for 5.30pm and also heading to a show for 7.30pm so we were on a strict deadline. We eventually got into the room at 4.15 and the luggage was delivered to the room shortly afterwards. This gave myself and my partner only less than an hour to get ready for the night ahead which was a considerable inconvenience.

The other issue I has was with the parking. I did not book the valet parking as I would unaware at the ludicrous rates charged by the Park Rite car park (sign posted as the Marker car park) next door to the hotel. Parking was €30 for the overnight stay!

Finally, we arrived back to the hotel around midnight and say in the lounge for a drink. Yes it was busy at the time, but service was unneccessarily slow.

• Stayed: November 2013
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Dear Stmo7,

Thank you for posting a review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor; I would like to apologise most sincerely for the shortcomings in service that you experienced during your stay.

Warm regards,

Reviewed December 23, 2013

I was looking forward to staying here and seeing a show having booked it well in advance. First, checking in, the lady was so lovely but kept up waiting while she took THREE phonecalls interrupting the checking in process each time. The room itself and the hotel is very luxurious the beds are lovely and big, very comfortable and the bathroom is lovely. The window was full length looking out over the theatre. We went for lunch and ordered chicken gujons and chips, when they came myself and the children thought it tasted like fish and asked the man working there who checked with the chef but assured us it was chicken. None of us ate them- chicken tasting like fish isn't too appealing (I still think it was fish) I told the guy when I was paying and he apologised and took my name to tell his fellow colleagues to give us a round of drinks after the show. We returned to the hotel and ordered drinks (a glass of wine for myself and two children's drinks) and I was charged 26€ I just mentioned it that I was told I could have some drinks after paying for food we didn't eat and he assured me he had no idea no message had been passed on! I just paid so as not to cause a Fuss. In the bedroom, there is no black out blinds so the lights from the theatre lit up the room for the night causing a very broken nights sleep. It really is the little things that make a big difference.breakfast was lovely- the staff were very nice and warm.
Also, I left my phone charger left plugged in in the bedroom (I remember reminding myself to get it and I forgot) I called today and was assured there was no charger found, the guy who answered the phone said he would go to housekeeping and ring me back within ten minutes... I'm still waiting. So if they can't find it (it was plugged in on a table!) it must have been stolen and surely this should be addressed. Over all, my experience was very average I would absolutely stay elsewhere again for the price I paid here, the west bury was cheaper and their standards are much higher.

Room Tip: If a bright room doesn't bother you at night, a room overlooking the bord gais energy theatre offers nice views during the day. Also don't leave your personal items lying around, there seems to be somebody with sticky fingers among the staff.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Dear AC2014,