“Just a few problems, otherwise almost perfect.”
Review of The Marker Hotel

The Marker Hotel
Ranked #2 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We found the staff very helpful and not in an intrusive way. The rooms were excellent and the WiFi service fast and efficient. There were just a couple of negatives which if sorted would make this the best hotel in Dublin that I have stayed at.

The breakfast buffet was poor with cold, rock hard potato bread and limited choice. They do have an a la carte option but there was just too few staff for the number of guests which made the service so slow that the potential for getting it before lunch time seemed very limited. We waited ages just for tea/coffee. There are a number of cafes/restaurants nearby which do provide better and cheaper alternatives.

The main bar totally lacks any atmosphere. It is a bit like being at the airport and the architecture is probably a bit "way-out" for some people. There is another bar across the square which is much more traditional in design and character so if you don't want to stray too far from the hotel, go there.

The roof-top bar at the minute is a bit of a gimmick. The suggestion that you might have to queue for it - don't bother. The enclosed area is just too small for the Irish climate which renders the other 80% defunct, probably for most of the year. And even by Dublin standards, this is no sky-scraper so there are quite a few taller buildings limiting the "panoramic" view of the city!

However, the service really did stand out, particularly the valet parking so make sure you book this in advance if you are driving.

I am going back in 3 weeks!

Room Tip: Ask for a room over-looking the square and not children's play area at the back.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank drjohnmcsparran
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Drjohnmcsparran,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I want to assure you that we have taken all your comments on board and we have made the necessary adjustments.

I am sorry that the Rooftop Lounge wasn’t up to your expectations, I do want to assure you that we always look after our guests and they always have priority to go up there.

I thank you again for your review and I will see you in 2 weeks!

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a bit of an enigma. On the one hand the architecture and the rooms are very very impressive but on the other the quality of service available to guests is certainly not 5 star. My wife and I stayed one night. On arrival in our room we discovered that the minibar had not been re-stocked. We then thought we would spend some time at the rooftop bar. We were told yes, we could go up but only for 45 minutes....nice one!! We then had an evening meal in the 'restaurant'....more like a cafe. It's right at the front door so there's a constant breeze coming in. I asked why they weren't using the part of the restaurant featured on their website and was told it was for 'overflow' only,even though it looked much more intimate. We then retired to the bar which again is right at the front entrance. Seating was very limited. I grabbed a couple of free high chairs and sat waiting for service. About 2 minutes later one of the bar staff approached me and said I couldn't use the stools 'because they were reserved for a couple of non-resident blokes who had popped out for a 10 minute fag'....charming. We stood around for a while and then retreated to the quietness of our room. Breakfast was a shambles. After a 10 minute wait we were eventually led to our table only to find that it had not been set. We waited 10 minutes to have that sorted. I checked out fully expecting to be asked how my stay was....nothing....the receptionist took my money and that was that.
To sum up, nice shiny new hotels can have the lovely spa and pool, lovely decor, plush carpet, nice rooms but it takes more than that to make it 5 star......there's a bit of work to be done at the Marker...enough said...

• Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank ColinAtkinson46
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear ColinAtkinson46,

We thank you for having chosen us for your last visit to Dublin.

I am disappointed to read that your stay wasn’t up to your expectations and I also want to apologise as this wasn’t brought to my attention sooner as I am sure we could have had resolved it.

I would appreciate if you could email me your details as I would love to hear your feedback on more detail, my email is lili.torres@themarker.ie.

Thank you again for reviewing the Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in June while attending the Robbie Williams concert. Check-in was efficient by a friendly receptionist. We were staying in a standard room but there was nothing standard about this room. The rooms are impressive. Modern, clean and of good size. Bathroom had walk-in shower and a deep bath. On leaving the hotel for the concert we were offered umbrellas by the doorman as it was raining. Breakfast is buffet style and of good quality. Highly recommend this hotel and next time I am in Dublin I will be booking this hotel

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Michelle311980,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and I heard that the concert was amazing too?

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

My partner & I had flown back to Dublin at 1:30am and had a reservation in a different hotel in the city. A terrible 3 star hotel that charged 110 / night. The experience resulted in us trying to check-out no later than one hour of arriving at that dreadful place. I checked online at 2:30am to find an alternative hotel for us to stay in. Up popped the new modern 5 star hotel The Marker at an unbelievable rate of 130 / night. This wasn't the same right I checked 3 weeks previously, the price dropped by 60eu. I called the concierge of the Marker at 2:45am explaining the position we were in and immediately wanted a different hotel. He got a room prepped for us for a 6am arrival as we could not check-out of the previous hotel any earlier due to their incompetence. I think the guys name was Damian who helped us. we arranged for everything, breakfast and the room rate & paid over the phone. We told him we would be there at 6am sharp. Once we arrived everything was perfect, it is a beautifully modern new hotel. The service was something new, something I had only ever experienced in 5 star hotels abroad, but not in Ireland, so it was really great. We slept for most of the day & went out for lunch. I wanted to use the spa & pool but had no time, I only saw it. The rooftop bar was actually closed when we were there as it had only opened 4-5 weeks prior to our stay there. The only problem we encountered was our AC not working. Due to the inconvenience we were upgraded to a Deluxe room. The bathroom was much bigger with a separate shower and a slightly larger room.From the room service to the assistance from the concierge & night staff. This place was friendly & accommodating. Look for deals, it is worth it. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the theater are pretty cool because of the lights
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Andrew G,

Thank you very much for your lovely review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read that even though your first hotel choice wasn’t up to your standards, once you arrived with us the real holidays started!

I am glad our team were able to assist you during your stay and I apologise as you didn’t get the opportunity to experience the Rooftop Lounge but maybe that will give you a good excuse to coming back and visit us soon?

I thank you again for your lovely comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Warm regards

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I haven't stayed here but go to the hotel restaurant for lunch a couple of times each month. The food and service are excellent, some might find it a little quiet but I find that works quite well if you're chatting with people over lunch. Great value for the quality of what you get too.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear DublinErik,

Thank you for reviewing the Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I have passed your lovely comments to our Food & Beverage Team and they are delighted that you have become one of our regulars!

I do hope you come and stay with us very soon to show you another part of our great service but in the meantime: see you at lunch!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very recently opened when I stayed and staff were making a big effort. Nicely decorated, good room, very good heath club and pool, a lovely evening when I stayed so I took advantage of the roof top bar with great views to the wicklow Hills

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Jon T,

Thank you for reviewing the Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and the Rooftop Bar; I am sure that the next time you come and visit us you will notice the difference as we are getting better at what we do thanks to our guest’ feedback.

I thank you again for your comments and i look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Overall, the hotel and staff was very nice. The restaurants in the front are good. Good location. Just be careful if you are driving. The GPS has a tough time finding the building. Overall, good value. No complaints.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Discocanuk,

Thank you for your review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stayed with us.

I am sorry that you had difficulty finding the hotel. Directions can be obtained on our website where we give step by step instructions from the most popular routes and there is always
someone at the hotel that can give you directions over the phone.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back