“Brand new and a delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Marker Hotel

The Marker Hotel
Ranked #2 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Vancouver
“Brand new and a delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

This hotel just opened in April, so the whole place was brand-spanking new. After our teensy room in Paris, it was great to have an enormous room with all the amenities, including an adapter electrical outlet in the spacious desk, robes, slippers, turn-down service and so on. We booked on Expedia and so got a two-star rate on a five star hotel. Staff seemed still a bit wet behind the ears; very willing and courteous but not always knowledgeable. Ultra-modern design was fun. We went up to the roof top bar but bars aren't our scene and the intense security and hip ambience was a bit much, so we didn't stay. Ate once at the hotel restaurant which was very good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear R T,

Thank you very much for your review of the Marker hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and you are correct on noticing that our rooms are some of the biggest in Dublin equipped with state of the art technology to give our guests the best hotel experience.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcoming you back very soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

There is absolutely nothing at The Marker Hotel to warrant patronage by any discerning world traveller. It may be able to fool the less knowledgeable but the real money should stay well away from this hotel at any cost.
Management is poor. Staff poorly trained. Restaurant, and bar cater to locals and not hotel guests. Food is mediocre. Spa is booked by local "members" well before any guest has a chance.
At the prices charged here, one should feel they are getting 5 star treatment and The Marker fails to deliver at every turn.
If you are someone who knows what a 5 star hotel experience is then please, stay away from The Marker Hotel. It's all show and can't deliver real substance. I know because I've been there. I know because I've been to comparable properties and actually had the experience I paid for. It's really not very difficult to do. However, The Marker is going to charge you for an experience you will not have, that is to say that those who know won't have. Those who don't know any better will gladly accept mediocrity unaware of the sublime experiences of true 5 star service available elsewhere in the city. Pity.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank YachtMasterG
TheMarker, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2016
Dear YachtMasterG,

Many thanks for your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in responding to your comments.

I am saddened to read your review, of course this is not the impression we wish to portray to our guests. As your review was written 3 years ago, I hope you could imagine the growth we have achieved as a hotel. This growth was achieved by learning from our guests, guests such as you.

If you ever wish to return to Dublin please feel free to email me directly on liamohannrachain@themarker.ie and I would be more than happy to offer you a stay at a preferential rate.

Once again YachtMasterG, please accept my apologies.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Liam Ó hAnnracháin
The Marker Hotel
Bardstown, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

The staff at The Marker are outstanding,they go out of there way to make sure you are well cared for and the hotel itself is a jewel. The rooms are extremely comfortable, the bedding is amazing,the bathrooms spacious and the phone chargers were a great touch. The roof top bar is worth the trip the views are breath taking, I will recommend The Marker to all I know going to Dublin, an I can't wait to go back

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Alice Willett H,

Thank you very much for the great review of The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

The team and myself are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we really
appreciate your much valued recommendation.

We cant wait to welcoming you back to the Marker either!

Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

My girlfriend booked this hotel as a suprise, during our trip to Ireland recently. The Hotel itself is based in (now) a very modern part of Dublin, down by the docks. When we pulled up in the car, the first thing I noticed was that everything in the area is very modern and very clean. Speaking to one of the locals, I believe the area has been under development for the last 2 years.

We were greeted immediately by one of the hotel staff, who kindly took our cases from the car and guided us to the reception desk to check in (parking is around 20 euro a night). The check in process itself was very easy and very quick. In addition, we were immediately provided with a map of the city and given directions of all the places to go.

As we couldnt check in until 3pm, we immediately went into the centre of Dublin (Temple bar) to have a look around and grab some lunch. The walk itself is very simple, just follow the river all the way into town. It takes about 15 minutes to walk or 5 in a taxi.

We returned to the hotel around 6 to check in. The room itself was like the rest of the hotel....very modern. Everything is decored in dark browns, blacks and greys. The room was very large as was the bathroom. Within 5 minutes of entering our room, our luggage was brought up to us.

We decided to have dinner in the hotel (the Brasserie). We ordered Oysters to start and the ribeye for main. Both dishes were superb, so hats off to the chef. In addition I have to say that our waitress was also fantastic. Not overbearing whatsoever and always on hand to help as and when required.

Following dinner we made our way to the bar for some evening drinks, chatted to the other guests, before heading to bed.

We ordered Breakfast in bed which was delicious and then headed to the spa for a swim. The Spa, like the hotel is very modern. The pool is about 10 meters long and decored in all black slate. There is also a steam room, sauna and plunge pool to accompany it.

We checked out around 1pm (we asked for a late checkout which wasnt a problem). The car was brought to the front in around 10 minutes, our luggage was placed in the boot and we were ready to head to the airport. Again, everything was done very swiftly which was great.

Overall, we had a great stay at the Marker and I would most certainly go back if I get the chance. It is expensive but a nice place to go to treat someone

1 Thank Nick M
Dear Nick M,

Thank you very much for your lovely and detailed review of your recent stay at The Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I hope your tour in Ireland is going great and what a nice surprise from your girlfriend!

I have passed your comments to our team and our Executive Chef and he is delighted that you
enjoyed your dinner.

Thank you very much again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards

australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed here two nights before our tour of Ireland. The staff were friendly and very helpful which makes such a difference to any hotel. Customer service is the most important issue for us and is equally or more important than the room you stay in.

We would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Dublin.

1 Thank trendygalAustralia
Dear Trendygal Australia,

Thank you very much for reviewing the Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted that you selected us to start off your Irish tour.

We believe the quality of the product is important but what always makes the difference between a good and a fabulous stay is the customer service provided by our team.

I hope your travel went great and we look forward to welcoming you very soon.

Warm Regards

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

The chequered facade of The Marker Hotel dominates the skyline at Grand Canal Dock - in a good way. It's a fascinating, extremely modern, building. This modernity is carried through to the inside with its wide open spaces and vaulted ceiling. We had lunch in the bar and found the staff friendly and attentive. There were six in our party and we had a mixture of club sandwiches, burgers and the cod in beer batter. It was tasty, but nothing special. Prices are a little above average but only a little. Afterward we adjourned to the Roof Top Bar which is really special. The views over Dublin are wonderful. Cocktails are a little pricey but expertly made and went down a treat. We reckoned it was worth it for the service and setting. It began to rain and, although there was a covered area, it was too small to accommodate all those sitting outdoors and they had to move into the bar. For those of us left sitting outside, the canopy (like a ship's sail) was too high and therefore we got slightly wet. A dark Dublin sky however is equally interesting and we soldiered on until it stopped! We had a great time at The Marker, it is 5 star treatment from the warm welcome at the door to hailing a taxi for us when we left. We'll be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Frances K
Dear Frances K,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read that you and your party had a great time with us and got the opportunity to experience the fabulous Rooftop Bar and were even brave enough to stay there when it was raining!

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Kildare, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed here Aug bank hol Sun and Mon night. My husband was running the Rock n Roll marathon so we received a discount, so decided to stay a second night as it was our anniversary, but we didn't realise we had to pay the full amount and go online and claim it back. The hotel carpark is hard to find, we parked in the wrong one so after check in we had to retreve the car (paying for the short time it was there),then our car was taken and parked(still don't know where as we didn't use it during or stay),plus parking in the hotel cost us €60. The hotel does not accept Debit cards so we had to pay up front, plus an extra €100 deposit, we were lucky we had brought enough cash. The hotel is lovely, every inch of it is spotless clean and very modern. It may be a matter of taste for some. The reception, restaurant, bar, cafe are all in one big area, very clean and airy, but kinda feels like your eating in the lobby, and I don't think there's any little cosy residents bar where you can sit up for a few late drinks with friends. The rooms are lovely, clean, everything you need, but lacked storage, "no drawers". the bathroom is gorgeous, the air con is very quiet but not powerful enough for me, and windows do not open, so it was a bit stuffy. The beds are really comfortable and rooms are sound proofed so never heard a sound, which was great. All the lovely 5* touches, toiletries, turn down, chocs, little petite fours, ect...and the staff very very nice and attentive, although we were misinformed about the breakfast times, we were told 10.30am when actually the bank hol Mon was 11am but the Tue finished at 10am, we arrived around 10.10am and one of the staff was turning us away till I complained and the head waiter intervened and seated us, I felt this was a real cock up, we were looking forward to breakfast together Tue morn as my hubby could only eat something light on the Mon at 7am before he headed off to run the race. Breakfast was nice, but nothing special. We had a little peak at the roof top bar which is gorgeous, but never got a chance to have a drink there(pity).The pool and thermal suites area are ok, but nothing special and also allowed kids, nice for some, but I was there to relax. I imagine the spa area is nicer but I didn't have time for a treatment so can't comment. The area down by the Grand canal is all refurbished, lovely place to stroll and have lunch in a nice cafe, and very handy for the Bord Gais Theatre. On the Mon after the race, we took a taxi to temple bar, where there was a great buzz.. All in all the hotel is lovely and if you have a few bob, nice as a base to stay in Dublin, although it's a little of the beaten track ,it's a nice area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlie_Sheil, Guest Relations Manager at The Marker Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Singer025,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Marker Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I also hope your husband had a good race on the Marathon he was running.

I am sorry that you weren’t given the correct information regarsing our car park, we ofer Valet car parking that must be pre booked as we have a limited availability and costs 20euros overnight; there are also two car parks within walking distance of the hotel managed by QPark.

I do recommend that for the best value rates, please visit our own website where you can find diferent packages that include dinner, Spa treatments etc. but in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me if you wish to stay with us again and I will look after you.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcoming you back in the near future.