“Overpriced but nice”

Vintage Cocktail Club
Reserve with OpenTable
Vintage Cocktail Club is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #246 of 2,756 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Lovely atmosphere and very nice inside with very nice staff. But the drinks are mad money. Great place for staring off the night with just one or two but you couldn't stay there all night.

1  Thank ValboC

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We really liked the idea of this bar - think prohibition secret drinking den. From the street you wouldn't know the bar is here, just an inconspicuous door with VCC in small lettering on it. We booked a two hour slot on a Saturday evening (10-12), at the time we went there was a doorman on the door, but I believe at other times you ring the bell and are let inside.
We arrived just before ten but our table wasn’t ready so we were led up to the roof terrace bar while we waited. It was very busy, the bar is basically in the smoking terrace so there were people smoking everywhere. We ended up waiting here for twenty minutes, and the initial excitement of entering the place was waning quickly.
When we did get our table (18 minutes late) it was lovely and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Cocktails were typically around 12 euro each. Traditional cocktails of the 1920s-early 30s era served in traditional surroundings with traditional music. My particular favourite was the 1920.
Had it not been for us missing nearly 20 minutes of our slot due to what I can only assume was poor organisation moving the previous group on, I would have rated this place excellent. The staff need to get better at organising the table bookings, it is a shame as we could have had time for another drink. We were told we could go back up to the roof terrace bar, but the smell of smoke and the fact it was really busy put us off.
I believe there is a cover charge for tables from midnight onwards and I think the place books half of their tables and the others are set aside for walk ins. I would highly recommend you book at table in advance.
There are a lot of stairs so not ideal for people with mobility problems.
I would defintely return next time I'm in Dublin.

1  Thank LozHammersbaws
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Hard to find, but this surprising Gem with a truly knowledgable bartender Pat, who knew the history behind every cocktail and drink. We sat at the bar and truly indulged in our VCC experience
Can't recommend it highly enough.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I had heard a lot about this place and went there in a group of 12 work colleagues. We were there for over 2 hours and ordered a lot of food. In that time we were served 2 drinks and decided to go elsewhere for the remainder of the evening. They have this ‘be patient’ concept which is outlined in their pretentious ‘rules’. The waiting for drinks was beyond a joke and was simply just poor service; we had empties in front of us for nearly an hour before our second drinks were brought along. Food was also brought to the table at different times. Those who got their food first were told by the waiter to start because the rest of the food would take a while.

The cocktails were very good and the food was excellent. I just found the whole experience pretentious and clichéd. We would have spent a lot more money there on a relatively quiet midweek evening if they had bothered to provide a decent level of service, which they appear to be wholly unapologetic about. A member of our group had been there before and left 20 minutes after arriving because they hadn't been served. Another friend was also asked to leave and not come back because she complained about the poor service. I don’t think I’ll be back for a repeat performance.

2  Thank Kevin J
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Visited yesterday with a friend, and really enjoyed it. It's just a plain looking door in the middle if templebar, so we didn't know what to expect. I was kind of expecting it to be a bit hipster and too cool for us (you know the way some ultra hip places can be)! We rang the bell and were led up the stairs. 2 lovely staff members greeted us and we were seated right away. The waitress gave us menus and complementary glasses of prosecco while we ordered. Staff were warm and friendly and knowledgable (we asked lots of questions about drinks ingredients). The food arrived quite quickly..(there were 4
Other tables in ahead of us)We had brunch which was delicious, I had eggs in skillet (Yummm) and we also shared pancakes (soooooo fluffy), and 3(!) cocktails each. High recommend the Quaker cocktail. The place is decorated beautifully and has a real old time feel. We had a really relaxed and enjoyable afternoon, I can't recommend it enough