“Anar- good Persian cuisine”
Review of Anar Restaurant - CLOSED

Anar Restaurant
Cuisines: Persian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Anar is a comfortable, well-lit and pleasant place in which to eat. The staff are friendly, efficient and attentive without being overbearing. The early bird, which I sampled, is very good value at €17.95, for a starter and a main course. I had a great fried aubergine dish to start and I decided to treat myself to some hummus also, which was very good. For the main course I had a vegetable stew, with black eyed beans, mushrooms and a whole host of other vegetables, which was served with a generous amount of basmati rice flavoured with saffron. To drink I had a very pleasant House Pinot Grigio by the glass. The dishes are deceptively large so I could not manage a dessert but I was happy to see that they serve the wonderful baklava. The food was well cooked and was served piping hot. Each dish was served with a well prepared salad and there dishes are, in nearly every case, very healthy.
I am happy to recommend this restaurant as it is serves good food at reasonable prices and is family owned, which here means that there is a more personal touch in what they do. The Irish palate is a conservative one which I think explains why it is not a popular as some of the other restaurants in Terenure, where it operates. However, if you would like to try something different go to Anar, which is 30 yards from either the 15 or the 16 bus stops in Terenure. Finally, it is disabled friendly, with accessible entrances, table and toilets, which is always good.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I went there with my three friends today, we ordered two meat platters, four nan breads and four soft drinks, they charged us €90.80.

In their menu the meat platter includes chicken wing and prawn but there was no prawn and chicken wings in our dish, the menu price for platter is €17.50 and we were charged €30 for each platter.
I am totally disappointed and will never ever go there I have their receipt with me and going to call them tomorrow and ask for a refund.
Very dishonest people.

4  Thank Con J
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Was sold on Persian/Iranian cuisine by sister
living in Teheran many years ago.
Will never forget her Ghormeh Sabzi.
3rd visit to Anar.
(1st visit with sister got her thumbs up.)
We both enjoyed our main courses.
Tasty and well presented by unobtrusive hosts.
Dessert of Baklava was good without being special.
Companion undecided between two ice cream options
and offered some of both.
Wine was fruity and full bodied as described by MichaelNua
review.
Concur with most of his comments.
One or two dishes were a bit expensive but there were enough
at a good price.
At the end of the night it struck us what a really pleasant time
we had in a really pleasant, relaxing restaurant
We will be back.
Be adventurous, try Anar!

Reviewed May 16, 2014

it was the first time we wanted to try Persian food and were terribly disappointed. all the food we ordered just came out from microwave and the meet was not fresh and awful and very bad smell. we tried Persian ice-cream which was called Bastani and it was weird taste and really disgusting , even the dessert was not fresh and seems they keeps for a long time . staff was very nice but food was disaster...

1  Thank rosemary m
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Terenure is a suburb of Dublin about 3 miles from the city centre. It is incredibly well served by an eclectic mix of restaurants serving culinary delights from all over the world. Anar is a new restaurant in the heart of Terenure village. It is a wine bar/restaurant offering Persian cuisine and European dishes. We have just been there and had a lovely dinner. The atmosphere is subtle and warm. The decor is modern and Middle-Eastern and the music was soft and gentle. The service was quiet, efficient and unobtrusive. We had a glass of red house wine which was full-bodied and fruity. We had not tasted Persian food before we visited Anar and we were not disappointed. We had a starter which consisted of minced beef mixed with cubed potatoes and served in a rich tomato sauce with a side of pitta bread. It was lovely. We both had lamb stew for our main dishes. One was lamb served with aubergines in a tomato based sauce while the other was a lamb stew with kidney beans and spinach. Both were unusual for us but very tasty. They came with basmati rice and a small salsa type salad. The portions were just right and we didn't need dessert. We finished with a cappuccino and a Bailey's coffee, one of the "hot alcoholics" on the menu. There was an interesting variety of desserts on the menu including home-made ice cream with saffron. Maybe next time. We enjoyed our visit to Anar and we will go again. It is well worth a visit if diners are interested in treating their palates to an unusual ( in Dublin anyway) and exotic cuisine. The bill was as expected for a restaurant of its type in Terenure and they offer good value lunch and early bird deals for diners on a budget.

2  Thank MichaelNua