“Simple but lovely”
Review of Saint - CLOSED

Saint
Cuisines: American, Latin, Spanish, Contemporary, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
“Simple but lovely”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Having only visited once and greatly enjoyed their lunch main course of Papardelle with green veg, I feel this place has just what I have been looking for for a work-day lunch. Simple things done really well, fresh and delicious. Also the portion was very generous and the price a very easy 8.50. Service is warm and friendly and the decor is plain and unthreatening. Background music is relaxing and unobtrusive. What a gem!

• Visited September 2013

Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent restaurant reminiscent of Masterchef”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I had the pleasure of eating in this restaurant last night, on the first floor of no. 7, Sth Andrew street and was bowled over by the great food! From start to finish the combination of flavours was something you might expect to find on a winning episode of the professional versions of Masterchef. My husband and I are foodies and we both thought this place was really special and different. I had the truffled poached duck egg starter with asparagus, chorizo and dates. I can still taste it! For the main course I had the hake with herb mash and asparagus, tomato and sorrel consommé - and that too was gorgeous. For dessert I just about fitted in a lovely grilled pineapple with a rum flavouring dessert, which again was delicious. The waiter was very friendly and helpful and recommended a beautiful white wine, Angosto Blanco from Valencia. All in all, it was a great night and we can't wait to go back.

2 Thank Bairbre_10
Dublin
“Disappointing Evening”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I booked this restaurant,as a previous reviewer has commented, on foot of a good review in The Irish Times. The evening, which was a double celebration - a wedding anniversary and visit from family abroad was a huge disappointment.I had an uneasy premonition of what was to come when we were ushered into the downstairs informal eating area instead of the restaurant as there was nobody upstairs on what is usually a busy Thursday evening in Dublin.The table was placed under a slanting stairwell and the two of us facing the serving area had a view of a sink and bin!! The poor waitress had to squeeze by one of us each time she needed to access this area.Notwithstanding this inauspicious start to the evening we hoped that the food at least would live up to the review .
My husband was the only one who had a starter. He chose the salad of Ardrahan cheese.The portion size was minuscule-tiny cubes of cheese lost on a large white plate.The accompanying ingredients were tasty but altogether insignificant also and we requested some bread to augment the dish.
The hake and beef short ribs mains were enjoyed but the chicken dish was deemed to be underwhelming perhaps because of the already dissatisfied diner's earlier experience!!!!
The macerated fruits with ice-cream was the only dessert chosen and seemed very ordinary and could be produced at any kitchen table at home.
All in all this meal was memorable only for the level of dissatisfaction it produced and the restaurant is in our view over- rated and poor value for money. The pleasant waitress did her best however to help us to enjoy what was a damp squib of an evening.

2 Thank DublinNoodles
“Best sambo in Dublin”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Had the 'Marino' roast beef horseradish slaw lettuce and red onion on sour dough.... Sweet mother of Devine Jesus it was good! Better than good. AMAZING. At €6.50 it's unreal value for money! I'll be back... May very well become my "death row" meal!!!

3 Thank phil'afoo'curley
Dublin, Ireland
“A bit too cheesy to be charging high prices for quantity and quality of food.”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We were prompted to try this place after reading a good review in one of our national newspapers. A group of friends went and we all agreed it didn’t live up to its review.
We arrived on a Friday night just as the reviewer had and expected to have the choice of either the Al-a-carte or the special menu*. You know the type of thing 2 courses with a glass of wine for €25 or 2 courses for 2 people and a bottle of wine €60. The waiter informed us that the special menu wasn’t available.
Portion sizes were inconsistent. The lasagne although was tasty, was more on a starter size portion and not a main.
A few plates of the Adrahan cheese salad was ordered. The waiter described it as unpasteurised goats cheese with a velvety texture. mmm looking forward to that. But on the plate were 4 pieces of tiny cubed cheese and if I can put dimensions on each cube in millimetres, I would say 8mm cubed.
I asked the waiter if that was all the cheese for this dish indicating that the quantity of cheese didn’t seem to amount to much. He didn’t engage much, only to reply “yes”. I would have expected an offer of a few more morsels at least. But seeing that it was a bit of a one-sided conversation on my part, he didn’t hang around to be asked. It was tasty but at €7.50 that’s a bit cheesy.
Connemara Lamb cutlets were advertised on the menu. The butcher my friend goes to calls these gigot chops and in her words they were the toughest bit of Connemara lamb this side of the Atlantic that she’s ever had.
Deserts ordered included toasted pineapple and ice-cream with croissant biscuits. As expected with biscuits they were solid, only they weren’t biscuits. They were hard pieces of croissant, maybe they were toasted in the oven, but my friend wasn’t too sure if she liked the salt taste from them either.
As we left, on the pavement outside was a board advertising the special menu* as described above.
My rating. It was all a bit too cheesy to be charging high prices for quantity and quality of food.

3 Thank Nimhaeleoin