Review Highlights
Boyne Valley Tour

During our Ireland trip we took the Boyne Valley Tour with Michael Fox. His knowledge of the... read more

Reviewed May 17, 2020
108coryc
via mobile
Excellent

Michael is a wonderful, knowledgeable guide, who goes far beyond the call of duty to make sure that... read more

Reviewed January 17, 2020
aa1976
Madrid, España

Recommended experiences in and around Dublin
from $54.29
from $77.16
from $42.22
More Info
All reviews boyne valley michael fox ancient sites highly recommend this tour his knowledge knowledgeable guide great trip newgrange tara dowth ireland narrative
Selected filters
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our tour of the Boyne Valley with Michael Fox in September. We saw Newgrange, Hills of Tara, and many other famous sites in the area. He booked us into a lovely restaurant for lunch. The whole day was stress free. Michael is a knowledgeable guide and planned our day perfectly! Thank you, Michael!

Sharon and John
Ontario, Canada

Date of experience: September 2013
1  Thank Sharon O
Reviewed October 28, 2013

If you are reading this review, you are a careful planner. You challenge yourself to plan the best possible travel adventure. For day tours outside of Dublin, Michael is your answer.
On my first visit to a country or region I search for a private tour that will provide an introduction not just to its famous sites but also to the history, culture and lifestyle of its people. I couldn't have been more pleased with the day I spent with Michael in the Boyne Valley. You can read about the sites he will take you. Michael will make your access to these sites stress free. His car is comfortable, his driving is careful. He knows the best place to park, which door to use. He always had my comfort in mind and paced our day perfectly. His talking points about the sites suited my interest but we easily conversed throughout the day about a myriad of topics: recent events in Ireland, its financial challenges, our family backgrounds, labyrinths, Guinness. I learned a great deal and had a fabulous day. Next trip I will be sure to reconnect with Michael for a tour in a another direction.

Date of experience: October 2013
2  Thank Lois H
Reviewed September 25, 2013

From Los Angeles to Dublin, my husband and I felt caught up in the ambiguity of the group tours and the hop on hop off. These were nice overviews but we wanted to experience the specialized treatment of a private tour. I believe paying a little extra for the added treat is well worth it! We were picked up from the lobby of our hotel. Michael Fox came in to greet us and we were on our way. The weather was exceptionally nice for September and we were open to our tour destination. I am please he chose the Wicklow and Avoca destination. We traveled on a very scenic route (Military Road) to Wicklow. We stopped off at a waterfall and even a sheep came up to our window to pose for pictures! Then off to Glendalough where Michael narrated a tour and we had a very lovely walk around the lake - even enjoying wild blackberry. We were able to visit the Visitors Center and look around the archeological pieces of history - round tower. Since we were on a leisurely time schedule, we sat down for coffee/tea and homemade fresh scone. We then ventured off to Avoca, the mill that originated in 1723. We walked around the mill factory and took in a bit of history. We ate a very lovely lunch in Avoca - the fishcakes were very nice. On our route back to Dublin, we took the coast route and stopped off at many key beach areas for fresh air and choice pictures. Michael was patient, courteous and very informative. I am one that asks a lot of questions - the nice touch - there was one statue he guessed on and followed up with an email and a link to answer that last question. That is customer service! As my title says - a "GLORIOUS" holiday tour with Michael Fox!

Date of experience: September 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I and a friend spent the entire day with Michael. Michael was most accommodating for any request, had many suggestions for us, and took a nice relaxing comfortable pace. Right from the start we knew Michael was A1 when on arrival at the New Grange visitor center, Michael saw the first tour bus of the day pull up, and he literally ran to the ticket desk to beat the crowd to secure our entry tickets / tour time!! Great job! Everything after that was equally excellent and top notch! One special highlight of the day happened at the very end where we drove into what appeared to be a typical residential neighbourhood to head behind the homes to stop for a look at an active excavation of an abby...where the head archeologist was just finishing up for day - Michael was a familiar face I take it, he asked the archeologist for a possible personal tour through the excavation...well, the entire half hour or so listening to the history they were uncovering was just mind blowing... Again just excellent! After a full day Michael dropped us exactly where we were picked up - right at the front door of our hotel. Thank you Michael!

Date of experience: August 2013
1  Thank figrn
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We booked Michael Fox for a day tour of some Neolithic sites, since our cruise did not include them on any of it's tours. He made sure we arrived in time at Newgrange to avoid the crowds. Then he took us to a fine example of a Sheela na Gig relief. He invited us to his house and served tea and we walked in his wonderful garden and labyrinth. We went to Tara Hill and Michael walked us up the path that they originally entered the area instead of the direct way set up for tourists. His narrative of the area was superb and really made the history come alive. After that, we went to a ruin of a monastery that was used in the movie Brave Heart. Trim castle was the next stop. Other than Newgrange and Tara Hill, we pretty much did a free-style tour. We told Michael what kind of site we wanted to see and he picked out the ones that would fit in the time we had. Oh, I almost forgot the wonderful lunch we had near Tara Hill. He went out of his way to make our day exceed our expectations.

Date of experience: July 2013