“Best and most informative for the Boyne Valley and fun”
Review of Day Tours Dublin

Day Tours Dublin
Ranked #9 of 108 Outdoor Activities in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Private Day Tours out of Dublin with Michael Fox, licensed driver and experienced tour guide. Day tours to the Boyne Valley, home of the Newgrange World Heritage site and the beautiful scenery of Wicklow, the Irish National Stud. Specialist Private Tours to Celtic sites such as the Hill of Tara and the Hill of Ward, Megalithic (Stone Age) sites such as Newgrange, Fourknocks and Loughcrew, Monastic Sites such as Monasterboice and Bective Abbey. A Bespoke tour can be arranged to suit your requirements.Since your tour is private and personalized, you will be picked up from your accommodation or cruise ship in the Dublin area. Private transport by Skoda Superb sedan for up to three passengers.
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I had one day in Dublin at the end of the year. I had to take one more trip in order to maintain my 1 K status with United after finding out my elite flex miles would not be acceptable for the 1K level. So, Dublin it was. I contacted Michael and he was kind enough to accommodate me, not only for a last minute tour but one that was substantially shorter than his normal tours due to my desire to also visit Dublin city. He met me at the airport and off we went to the Boyne Valley and our first stop of Newgrange. Along the way he filled my head with some great stories and information that made my tour so much more enjoyable. After Newgrange we headed over to the Hill of Tara and even there, he took a circuitous route to the hill in order to point out some details and tell more stories that I would not have known about had I attempted the trip on my own or on some bus group. We stopped in at an adorable little book shop and I found a wonderful old poetry book for my husband before we had a coffee and a bit of a snack. Then it was in the car and back to the city for me to go on with my city tour and later pub and story telling. All in all, I had an amazing experience of the Boyne Valley even though it was short and Michael was a very entertaining, informed and wonderful host of his Boyne Valley.

All reviews
"irish countryside"
in 6 reviews
"slane castle"
in 2 reviews
"an outstanding tour guide"
"beautiful site"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this trip"
in 3 reviews
in 6 reviews
"ireland"
in 35 reviews

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Our day with Michael was the highlight of our two week stay in Ireland last fall. His knowledge of the Celtic past made it all come alive. All four of us wished that we could take him with us through the rest of Ireland. On our "do again" list.
Georgia Engwall
Atlanta

1  Thank Georgia E
Reviewed January 10, 2013

It was a wonderfull day with Michael Fox visiting the most places of the Boyne Valley. In fact I knew the most but the good thing was that we could discuss and tell each other a lot of details and exchange a lot informations meeting very special personalities of the Boyne Valley. I appriciate the kind way and very professional handling from Michael. If you want to learn more about Boyne Valley its history (herstory) mythology and astronomy, so choose this occasion.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We planned a trip with Michael Fox to visit the Boyne Valley sites stimulated by previous trip advisor reviews. The weather during our tour was nothing less than awful due to torrential downpours. Despite this adversity, Michael was an outstanding tour guide with a deep knowledge of the area and its history. Visiting Newgrange, Monasterboise, and Fourknocks with him was deeply rewarding. During our trip, Michael invited us into his home and also had lunch with us in a local restaurant. His warmth and excitement about the history and archeology of the area made for wonderful conversation. All of this eased the dreariness of the weather. I would have no reservation about recommending this tour. If I were to return to Ireland, I would consider doing the tour with him again. Harold and Natalie

1  Thank hbeen
See more reviews
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I traveled in Ireland for three weeks, and saw quite a bit of the country. But the highlight of our trip was our tour of Newgrange, Knowth, Dowth, Fourknocks and Tara with Michael Fox of 'Day Tours out of Dublin.'

From the moment we met Michael just outside our hotel in Dublin, we were wisked away onto a magical adventure into Irish history. Michael was extremely knowledgable, and tailored the day tour around our interests, the options available in winter, and the amount of daylight available. He knew the ins and outs of each location, made sure we were in the right line at Newgrange, and that we saw the triple spiral once we were inside (on our own, we would have surely overlooked it!) He took us all through Tara and gave us a very historically accurate account of the known history of the place. At another site, he taught us all about 'high crosses' and knew what all of the carvings represented.

One of the highlights of a fabulous day was our visit to Dowth - open one day a year, and happily on the day we were touring! We never would have known that it was open that day, but Michael made sure we were all there in plenty of time to get inside and to see all of the incredible carvings inside. And as for visiting Fourknocks after dark, by flashlight... fantastic!

There really isn't enough space here to adequately describe all that I learned that day... highly, highly recommended. If you have only one day to explore the Irish countryside near Dublin, take a day tour with Michael Fox. It will be a day you'll never forget.

1  Thank Máire Q