“new and cool wine bar”
Review of Bagots Hutton

Bagots Hutton
Reserve with OpenTable
Bagots Hutton is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #817 of 2,756 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: European, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: PROMOTERS STATEMENT AND CONCEPTBagots Hutton is a space that is flexible in nature, a restaurant one moment, a funky wine bar the next. It is a venue which moves away from the established idea of a different venue for shopping, eating and socialising.Bagots Hutton Wine Bar/Shop/Restaurant will comprise of a 65 seater cafe wine bar occupying the entire basement floor space. Within its open plan design there will be, through its designs and layout, two areas, which although complimentary, will have distinctive feels and moods. The front area situated toward the main entrance will cater for an immediate daytime trade with a busy cafe feel inside a boutique styled retail unit which will provide the sale of fine wines, teas and coffee everything you eat and drink in Bagots Hutton you can also purchase to enjoy at home. We will also provide food in the style of antipasti's, cheese plates, meat plates, crostini's and salads in an open performance deli/bar which will be an integral part of the visual experience and cuisine orientated mood. To the rear of the space there will be a feeling of a relaxed wine lounge adopting comfortable low seating and lower atmospheric lighting. The wine bar and deli bar which extends to both areas will split the two areas, with wine/tea/coffee bar to the front, deli bar to the rear.Bagots Hutton will build the bridge between the Georgian and the modern New York style cafe. This is a modern renovation that incorporates classical fittings and fixtures. Within its modern functionality there will be elements of an age past through its use of period French textiles and industrial period furniture.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This relatively new wine bar (maybe 6 months old?) is located in a basement in an old wine merchant shop. It is cool place with good atmosphere. Just remember that it's rather small. It consist of two rooms. The one at the back (with sofas) is much more atmospheric but often owner tells you to stay in the second room (this next to the entrance that looks much more ordinary) because he wants to keep space for groups for example.
Food is good but not that special. Wine is great but it's not the cheapest place for a glass of wine.

2  Thank Przemek B

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Hosted a brilliant christmas lunch there in December. The food was delicious and the wine was a big hit. The place is charming and comfortable and the cellar is quirky. Check it out for sure!!

3  Thank don j
Reviewed February 14, 2013

After some antipasti and an Aperol spritz in Taste of Emilia on Liffey St. last Saturday night, I headed to Bagots Hutton Wine Emporium– a new wine bar which has created some buzz on the Dublin nightlife scene. As soon as I walked downstairs, I was confronted with a wall of sound from the chatter of the hip crowd huddled around the bar like emperor penguins sheltering from the beats being pumped out by the resident DJ.

We quickly found a table and were given the wine menu which I was delighted to see was predominantly focussed on old world wines – Bagots Hutton also serves small plates of antipasti and the like. We ordered glasses of Selvapiana Chianti Rufina 2010 and Vigneti Del Vulture Pipoli Aglianico del Vulture 2009 (despite the title, there was sadly no Dolcetto). While we waited for our drinks, I fought through the manbags and Manolos to peek into the back room which was heaving with partygoers not drinking Jager bombs, cocktails or indeed those lamentable quarter bottles of plonk…but shock horror…decent wine served in proper wine glasses. Whatever had the world come to?

At this point it’s probably worth explaining that on the Saturday night that I visited at least, Bagots Hutton was not the place to go if you wanted to enjoy a quiet bottle of wine and reminisce with an old friend – unless your old friend was a fan of French house and electro of course – then you’d have been in the right place. I’m pretty sure that if the proprietors had decided to put in a dance floor, it would’ve fit right in.

The list had 20 reds, 12 whites, two sparklers, one beer and one cider. All but three of the wines were available by the glass and most came in around the €7-€9 mark or €28-30 by the bottle. It was a list seemingly focused on reliability rather than rarity or excitement but in my opinion any list that gives pride of place to Albarino and Aglianico over Pinot Grigio and mundane Merlot should be applauded on principle alone. The traditional varieties were still there of course but the discerning drinker was certainly afforded ample choice.

The one minor glitch of the evening came when I wanted to try the San Gervais Vino Nobile de Montepulciano 2006 but found out that it was one of the three wines that weren’t available by the glass. Unprompted, the waiter, who incidentally was working his first shift, suggested an alternative reportedly from the same grape variety– Le Salare Montepulciano d’Abruzzo 2009. The “Montepulciano misunderstanding”, as I have come to call it, has without question been made in wine bars and restaurants the world over and given the night that was in it, I was inclined to chalk this down to first shift nerves and I admired the effort to at least offer me a similar alternative.

On Saturday night’s evidence, Bagots Hutton will certainly be a go to place for both the wine aficionados and boulevardiers of Dublin alike. The combination of good wine and a true bar setting makes for a great addition to the local wine scene and it’s definitely somewhere I’ll be heading back to in the near future.

3  Thank Giovanni V
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Myself and two friends having spent a day in Dublin visiting Powerscourt Centre were feeling shopped out, and worse for the wear. Just be accident we happened upon Bagots Hutton and decided to give it a try. Myself and lady friends have very high expectations, and to be honest were not expecting very much, a quick glass of wine and then back to our hotel.
Boy we were surprised, the welcome, friendly, courteous staff was something which took us back to days or ore. It was tantamount to visiting a friend with warm welcome we received.
The actual venue is amazing and steped in history, better still, the selection of wines, served to perfection and very reasonably priced. The food was delecious, but could have done with a little extra and perhaps to make the mediteranean feel which was great a little more authentic, some garlic dips would have made the "tapas" more complete.

Next time we are in Dublin, this bar will be on our list of places to visit. Oh and I would reccommend to the very nice owner, he create a website. I have tried to reccommend to friends and they can not find a website for the bar.

Ciara-Athlone

4  Thank ciara M
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had read about Bagots Hutton in a couple of magazines and was very much looking forward to trying it.

I liked it straight away when we arrived - friendly and welcoming staff, low, comfy looking couches, and a big wine selection. Overall, it was pretty good, but a couple of things let it down.

First of all, we ordered three boards to share for four people, thinking we'd have plenty of food. In reality, the boards barely fed one person. For the price I definitely think they could give you more food. We had about four slices of cheese for €13, so this could improve.

It also got really busy, which is great for them, but we we really lost out on the service when this happened. We sat with our giant (now empty) boards for nearly a half hour before the staff came around again. I think we would have ordered a second bottle of wine, but wound up leaving after the long wait.

It may be better for a smaller group, but for friends it's a bit pricey and maybe slightly awkward in terms of the food-style (bigger portions would help this!).