“A Toast to "Roast"”
Review of Roast Restaurant - CLOSED

Roast Restaurant
Cuisines: European, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Modern Irish cuisine in the heart of Ballsbridge, convenient to the RDS & Aviva Stadium and close the Intercontinental, Bewleys, Herbert Park and Ballsbridge hotels. We also serve a full bar menu in Crowe's Pub downstairs.
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My son gave me a voucher for my birthday and that is why I ended up in "Roast" with my wife for dinner last night. We had 6 courses from the Table d'Hote Menu. Was it good? It was wonderful from start to finish. Why? It was a Tuesday evening and the restaurant was quiet. About 18/20 diners when we arrived. The interior is a very pleasant surprise as it sits above a line of well known pubs on this strip in Ballsbridge. Modern, spacious and enhanced by the art and background music. The waiter was very friendly and helpful and the food which followed, a delight! From Amouse Bouce to start, followed by Pork & Prawns starter, Duck and Chicken main courses, pre desert-desert and then desert and a coffee, every dish was cooked to perfection and presented beautifully. The evening at ROAST was fulfilling, in every sense. The waiter told me that they will be open three years at the end of October and are usually fully booked for concerts and rugby events at the nearby RDS and Aviva stadiums. Not surprising. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank ATaheny

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We have eaten here several times recently and always delighted with the food and the service. The waiter is always delighted helpful, known the menu well and very courteous. The food is great for the price too. Would always recommend this place :-)

Reviewed August 22, 2013

My Fiance and I had just got engaged and since it was a special day he said he'd take me outside our usual haunts in Dublin to a classy restaurant.

We should have known when we walked in; The place was empty. no other diners apart from ourselves. There wasn't even music playing. A waiter showed us to our table and gave us our menu. The music was then turned on. It was a Chistmas CD...in July. I was changed after the first song. It took the waiter a full 20 minutes to get back to us(again - we were the only customers and we hadn't even orderd drinks yet) Once we finally ordered and our food arrived we noticed my partner's meal was supposed to come with a side order (which we had ordered with our meal - chunky chips) I look over and the waiter is sitting behind the Bar, on his mobile. I give a small wave and he comes over; when we explain whats wrong; he gives an audiable sigh and goes back into the kitchen emerging with the chips. (its like they'd been sitting there, he just couldn't be bothered to pick them up)

We were shocked at the bill - a little over 70 Euro; and it was just the 2 of us.
I just didn't feel that the service and the food reflected what we accually got.

1  Thank Akitombo7
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Three of us visited Roast for the first time last Monday and we met up in the associated Crowes Bar downstairs for a pre-dinner drink, which was marred by customers being allowed to smoke at the open front door and the smoke blowing straight into the bar. When we moved upstairs the atmosphere improved, both figuratively and literally! The restaurant is cleanly decorated in an informal style and tables are well spaced. Two of us dined from their well-priced early bird while a third ordered a la carte. For starters two us had a wonderfully tender and flavoursome daube of beef while the third person had the calamari which was declared tender and plentiful. Mains consisted of a vegetarian dish, a duck dish and fish and chips for myself. My main complaint was that the fish and chips were cokked in oil that may have been too low in temperature as both fish and chips were soft an oily rather than crisp, as hoped for. Also, the meal was served on a wooden platter, which does nothing for me and I always wonder if it is possible to get the food from the platters in the dish washer to the same extent as smooth tableware. When I needed to use the mens room I was informed that they were out of order and that I would have to go downstairs to the rear of Crowes bar and then up some more stairs to use their facilities. Total for two three course early birds and a two course a la carte plus a carafe of house red and a green tea was a reasonable €87.00 excluding tip. The lack of toilet facilities on the night plus one disappointing main just stops me awarding Roast 4 stars, for an otherwise enjoyable and well-priced meal.

1  Thank Tablepourdeux
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Regular visitor to this lovely south dublin restaurant. The food is always well prepared and cooked with precision and care. The courses are well presented too. Staff are eager to help, attentive and interested without being pushy. Worth a visit.