“Good food, however....”

Dining options: Reservations
UK
“Good food, however....”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Just a quick note about Swai, we visited on the first day of the Tall Ships in Dublin and service in Swai was stretched. We ordered from the set meal and explained that my wife was allergic to shellfish. Assured her choice was chicken we enjoyed the view and wine and conversation as we waited. Starters we excellent (as was our wine) however our main course took a long time to be served. The manageress chased our meal and it duly arrived, 2 mouthfuls in my wife found a prawn. people called, meal changed, however, damage done and she had worry of would this hit her. Net result. Bill given to us, I queried with manageress and she waived the whole amount (some Euro60+) which we felt was generous. My wife did feel ill later (it normally take 2 hours or so and then is dreadful) however it did not travel its normal course (will leave this to your imagination).

So, what to say. Shouldn't have happened, the food was good, the service stretched (and gave us the wrong food) manageress waived bill yet it needed me to prompt that something should be done. Am going to say this is an average restaurant and whilst I might go back and don't think my wife would chance it!

• Visited August 2012

Dublin, Ireland
“Lovely food and service”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We had a gorgeous 3 course meal at Swai last night. This was our first visit and we were really impressed with the quality of the ingredients and the fresh taste of the food. No MSG and poor quality meat to be found here. We would really recommend the Malaysian crispy pancakes for starter (basically like nice naan bread with gorgeous curry dipping sauce). The Beef Rendang and Beef Satay mains were also lovely. Friendly and efficient service too.

The restaurant's location overlooking the Liffey is nice, however, this slightly out of the way location may contribute to it not being that busy on a Saturday night. The main customer base seemed to be tourists from the nearby hotels. The only small negative points we had was the lack of atmosphere. The music seemed to be cheesy movie soundtrack songs. There was also a smell of fried food which initially gave me a misleading impression when we walked in. I was afraid the food would all be fried and greasy, but thankfully I could not have been more wrong. They do serve chips so the smell was likely from a chip fryer.

We would not hesitate to recommend Swai. Gorgeous food and also great value for money. I am only surprised it hasn't been reviewed more on Tripadvisor, given that it's been open for years. We might have tried it earlier if there had been some reviews. More people should try this restaurant. We will definitely be repeat customers.

• Visited July 2012
Oxford, UK
“Marvellous Malaysian”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Me & my husband visited Swai June. There was a little confusion about our booking, but no problem we were soon given a table overlooking the river. The restaurant was busy; there was a birthday party occupying all of the tables in the middle and road side of the restaurant. Service was friendly and efficient throughout, but not at all rushed, with the staff recommending dishes we might enjoy. We had the combo platter to start, all of which was delicious, and the three little dips that accompanied it were equally delicious. For main we had beef Rendang, and Beef Claypot, with steamed rice. The Rendang was out of this world – I would have licked the bowl if I hadn’t been in public! My husband also enjoyed the claypot; he would have liked it a bit more spicy but I’m sure they would have added some extra chilli if we had asked, and we know for next time. For pudding I had banana pancake, and my husband ice cream. We will definitely return next time we are in Dublin.

• Visited June 2012