“Great Location, but a bit dated”

The Dawson Hotel & Spa
Ranked #108 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Location, but a bit dated”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed for 1 night a few months ago. The location is fab - St.Stephen's green is a 2 minute walk away, and Dawson Street is surrounded by great bars and restaurants. The hotel itself is fine. There is a very small reception area where we checked in, and we were then led to the back of the bar and up through a lift. We didnt see or hear any other guests while we were there. The room was a little smaller than i expected for a double and some of the furnishings were a little dated but it was clean and had some nice features. I would stay here again, but it was not the plush hotel experience i was expecting.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Turkish first
Dublin
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I had a meal in La Stampa Tiger's restaurant on Saturday January 19th 2012.
It was very disappointing. The place looks great, but the service was appalling.
We were rushed through our meal. They even went so far as to serve my meal while I was in the bathroom. It became apparent why they rushed us as a huge crowd arrived for a 21st birthday.

They should learn to look after all customers equally. After all we are all paying regardless of whether we are 2 people or 22 people.

I would not go back there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ash34

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in June 2012.

The website looks great so I booked into it for 3 nights.

The stairs walking up to the rooms were dirty with sticky carpets, the room was dirty and in need of proper decoration The final straw was mould in the bathroom.

Never bothered with the restuarant as I imagine the kitchens would be similar standard.

I couldnt wait to get out, checked out next day which cost me extra.

It would have been OK at 50 euro per night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank raz2xa
Newbridge, Ireland
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed in one of the better rooms in the hotel located on the top floor with a view on to the Mansion House on Dawson Street from one window and a view of ‘Fire’ from the other. The visuals in the room were stunning with beautiful rococo style bedding. I had a fear prior to staying here that noise might permeate through from the Samsara nightclub downstairs but that was not the case with this particular room; it was a noise-free zone. I too went through the Samsara nightclub route to get to and from the elevator which I took as part of the character of the experience. There was me in my coat, fur hat and sensible walking shoes with my rucksack on my back wandering through late night revellers dancing around in their skimpy party gear – surreal for them :) I drew the line, however, at going back the elevator route in the early hours of the morning while it was still dark being a lone woman traveller and chose to descend the 6 flights of steps instead to get to street level rather than wander the large dimly-lit bar area alone.
I loved the small decor touches in my room, the beautiful brass curtain holders keeping the silk curtains in place, the glass cut handles on the presses, the tasteful sofa and armchairs, the fabulous marble bathroom, even a fruit basket and fresh flowers. On the practical side tea/coffee making facilities and safe were present also. All were appreciated. I found my room immensely comfortable for a home away from home experience up until the moment when I actually wanted to go asleep, which was 50% of my reason for staying. This is the only reason I would not stay here again – I could not sleep because a) the mattress was skimpy and did not support me properly to find a comfortable position and b) the airtight nature of the room had caused the old musty smell of the house to seep deep into the bedding so despite that everything was pristine and clean, sheets starched etc that smell of old house (which it is – rather a grand dame of beautiful Georgian houses) was very much embedded into the pillows, bedcover etc. (I could speculate that this might be something to do with the attic opening into my room and the triple glazed windows.) As the night went on I found it harder to breathe and when eventually, exhausted, I nodded off into slumber I woke shortly afterwards with a very painful cramp which could only be relieved by getting up and walking around for 15 minutes. I gave up on sleep at that point and lay there waiting for 5am to arrive so I could get up. (Needed to give the alcohol time to leave the system before driving which was the other 50% of the reason for checking in.)

Receptionists checking in and out were exceptionally courteous, professional and friendly. Lovely people throughout. I really liked the hotel - just a most unfortunate experience with the bed - a key element of any hotel stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dublin
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed in La Stampa for one night recently. What a terrific city centre hotel; friendly staff, no rush with check out, excellent food, great bar (its no big deal that you have to walk through it to get to the lifts to the rooms!)...great location...couldn't fault it and we got B&B and early-bird menu for two people for €199, you couldn't ask for more!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 8, 2012

This hotel is not a 4 star the rooms and bathrooms are in bad need of decoration.The over bed clothes and cushions were stained and the furniture was badly chipped and scraped. First of all you have to walk through Samsara bar to get to the lift to get to your room, not to bad during the day but we returned from dinner at 11.45pm and had to flight our way through a very crowded bar to get to the lift. Then we lay awake till the music stopped at 2.30am.We were on the third floor but the music was soooo loud that it was like been right next to the bar. I think we should have been told that the hotel was located over a late bar that blasted out music till this time, if so we would have chosen a different hotel. The the breakfast room is dull. We went for breakfast at 9 there were no croissants there when I asked the waiter he said that they would take 20 mins . They should have them ready for when breakfast starts at 7.30. In all the only thing this hotel has going for it is the location. Defiantly would not recommend or ever stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lfl1976
Sitka, Alaska
Reviewed December 7, 2012

La Stampa is a bit quirky but overall it is a decent hotel in a great location and I would stay there again. The staff in particular, and to a person, were wonderful. had payed for airport pickup and there was not a driver to meet me. The hotel reimbursed me for the taxi fare, gave me a significant credit on my bill, and was genuinely apologetic. Rooms and bedding are a bit tired. Water pressure is wonderful although tub is a bit threadbare. We did have to walk through the bar to get to the elevator but this was largely entertaining. The breakfast was very good. I did not look at the spa so cannot comment about that.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family