“Proceed with caution...”
Review of Marian Guest House

Marian Guest House
Ranked #49 of 149 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed there for a total of 4 days in July 2013. Catherine the owner is very nice and accommodating. I can't say the same for her husband -- he's quite loud and rude. Hope that you don't have to deal with him. Other than the husband, my main concern is the area -- it's really dodgy. While close (about 15 min. walk) to the center, you have to pass some crack houses (ok, they look like crack houses), homeless, and otherwise toothless and sketchy people on the way there. Despite Catherine's friendliness and helpfulness, I wouldn't stay there again: neighborhood and obnoxious husband spoiled it for us.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Marian Guest House

Reviewed June 13, 2013

my first time in Dublin and I am a solo traveller .

Catherine is just so welcoming and helpful . I loved the guest house it was very quaint , cosy and comfortable .
my room a single was on the top floor it was comfortable and quiet I slept so well during my 3 day stay .Breakfast was fabulous I had full English each morning and catherine is a wonderful hostess and had a chat with me each morning as I was dining alone.
I loved the locality just 10 minutes from O'Connell street .excellent value for money and the bus back to the airport could be caught just 10 minutes walk from the guest house

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank fawkey1
Reviewed May 9, 2013

A clean and tidy room, comfy bed and friendly helpful hosts - everything you could want from budget accommodation. I particularly appreciated access to a fridge and fresh milk in my tea - thanks Catherine!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 29, 2013

If you want to feel welcome in Dublin and get solid value for money, then Marian Guest House is the place to stay. Nothing was too much trouble for the delightful Catherine - provided extra pillows, organised a taxi, recommended a pub, let us use her son's computer and printer when we needed to print some ferry tickets.

Sure, the rooms aren't the latest in decor and they're not huge - especially the bathroom (and the shower) - but they're clean and the beds are comfortable. The area is a little run down, but great inner city location, makes it easy to walk to the main sights. Breakfast - huge and delicious.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AHD68
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were in Dublin for the first time. With us was a child of 3 years. Helpful Catherine is a very nice lady who always has time for us.
Room was clean. The bathroom was cold but clean. Wc next to the room.
Marian Guest House is near the citty center.
I recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2012

If a pedestrian in Dublin for the first time I think that I would initially taxi to the guest house and ask the ever helpful Catherine about bus routes and the essential bus pass.Consider waterproof (!) map(s) showing most of the smallest roads.
Even at the bargain end of the house (not ensuite) the room was comfortable and the adjacent shower was clean and worked well. Breakfast was excellent with good choice and was served with useful advice and a chat..

Room Tip: Popular, so book early!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank BrianVHughes
Reviewed November 10, 2012

On my first visit to Ireland, I began my stay here, and then booked my last 3 nights here after touring the rest of the country. I can't thank my hosts enough for their gracious, sincere welcome. Catherine was also very helpful to me in getting oriented, and would often have time for a little chat about how things were going, even though she had a full house both times (first for the Gaelic football finals, and lastly for the Ireland/Germany soccer match--as the B&B is walking distance from Croke Park stadium).
The neighborhood is solidly working class, so I felt very much at home, with relatively easy pedestrian access to downtown, airport connections, and Busaras station. The rooms and building themselves, though perhaps a bit dated, were simple and still charming, however unassuming. Offering such convenience, comfort, warmth, and authentic hospitality, this is a sweet little gem of a place.

Room Tip: Gardiner can be a busy street, so off-street rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo