“Great Hotel”

Grafton Capital Hotel
Ranked #126 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed November 12, 2006

Having stayed at this on numerous occasion with work. This was my first choice to stay with my partner for weekend break.

One of the best things about this hotel is it's location. Firstly, it is only two minutes away from Grafton Street, where you'll find all of the shops. About ten minutes away is the Temple Bar area, with all it's pubs and restaurants......although beware it does get extremely busy.

The hotel staff were excellent and very helpful. We arrived in the morning, but were allowed to check into our room straight away and did not have to wait until the afternoon. Our room was clean, well presented and a fair size.

The hotel is connected to the "Break for the border" bar which is a lively place in the evening. Split on several levels there is a restaurant upstairs. We only ate breakfast there, which was excellent, with a wide variety of choices available.

We never had any problems with the noise from the bar in the evening, although we were on the 3rd floor, so that 's maybe why.

Overall this is good quality hotel and I would definately stay here again.

A few recommendations for Dublin: Visit the Guinness Warehouse, but take a taxi as it's a bit of a walk from the centre.

We did a tour of the city in a WWII amphibious dukv (Duck). This is a great way to see the city and it even goes for a tour in the harbour.

Eddie Rockets (American Diner) located off Grafton Street is a great place to have a bite to eat; it's like stepping back to the 50's with mini duke boxes at each table.

Captian America's (America Food) - The only restaurant in Grafton Street, great food and atomsphere

Dublin is a great place to visit, and everyone is very welcoming, and somewhere I never tire of visiting

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank balsburyboy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,063)

Reviewed September 16, 2006

My husband, mother-in-law, and I stayed here for one night this September. The rooms themselves, though old, were nice, and the breakfast was great, but the noise from the club downstairs kept us up until the wee hours of the morning. I would not recommend this hotel. I should have checked tripadvisor before I booked it! If you're going to stay in city centre Dublin, I would highly recommend the Westbury, if you like large hotels, and Trinity Lodge, if you like boutique hotels. Both have served us well over the years.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mmdoherty
Reviewed September 16, 2006

Me and my partner stayed here for a 3 night break in early Feb this year and we were really pleased with the hotel.

The rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious. The breakfast buffet was yummy and the staff were very helpful.

We didn't get any of the noise that people have reported as we were staying midweek - top tip if you want a quieter trip!

What really makes this hotel is its location. It is a short walk to Temple Bar (fabulous Italian there called Botichellis - cheap and has lovely views over The Liffey), Grafton Street, St Stephens Green, Trinity College, and The Liffey.

At the bottom of the road there is a fab cocktail bar called The Capitol Lounge (half price cocktails midweek and they are gorgeous!) and just off Grafton Street is an eastern/oriental cafe bar called Mao that does fabulous food at a very reasonable price. The hotel bar/ nightclub is called Break for the Border and definitely worth a visit.

I would definitely recomend going on the open top bus tour of Dublin and the Guiness Storehouse is a must!

All in all it was a great trip and I would definitely stay at The Grafton Capital again.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank katwilbo
Reviewed September 3, 2006

Please take my advice and do not stay in this hotel! I have to say it was the worst hotel experience I have ever had in my life- and I have stayed in many a hotel.

Firstly there was a problem with my booking - where they took two deposits, and I had to make many phonecalls and write many emails to get this rectified before I even got there. We were assured we would be upgraded to a mini-suite on arrival to compensate. Well if room 404 is a mini-suite I would not like to see a standard room!

The bathroom was tiny, dark and grotty with possibly the smallest bathroom mirror I have ever seen. The sink failed to drain away. The room was very hot and sticky.

There were many hen/stag parties in the hotel which meant that the hotel was very noisy. I did not sleep at all-even with earplugs! Anytime anyone on any floor closed their door, it caused a frightening noise throughout the whole hotel.

The one lift broke during our stay, meaning that we had to walk 4 floors to get to our room, with no guidance or apology from staff. The crockery at breakfast was not very clean and the buffet disappointing. Then to top it all off, when we went to check out at 12pm there was only 1 receptionist at the desk, as this was the peak time for checking out, I feel that more receptionists should have been working.

Oh... i forgot to mention the lack of concierge and the homeless people lying on the ground right outside the hotel entrance!!

I could not say one positive thing about this hotel.

Please stay anywhere else! I would like to highly reccommend Peploes restaurant at St Stephens Green- absolutely unbelieveable food/ambience/wine!!We spent 150 euros!! Also for lunch Rolys Bistro in Ballsbridge area of Dublin is worth a visit- very reasonable lunch menu with scrumptious wholesome food and very tasteful surroundings. -You could visit here on way to Brae for walk by the sea!

Also you must visit Cafe en Seine for a drink or snack, and La Tethra Spa in Merrion Hotel is also a great place to relax and have a treatment-I can reccommend the back reviver!

Samsara bar/club is also great, located in Dawson St. We were there on a Sunday night- Salsa night-lots of spanish music and great atmosphere.

Final words... Dublin is a fantastic city, the Grafton Capital is not the place to stay to fully enjoy your stay. I can reccommend The Davenport- similar price and so much better!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Kat-Leigh
Reviewed August 8, 2006

Stayed here in May, arrived at the hotel at 8:30 am & they let us check-in which was very much appreciated. Although it was an older room, it was perfectly adequate. We had a 2 night special which included dinner 1 night. The dinner was good & the staff were extremely accommodating. The airport bus stops right in front of the door coming from the airport & across the street returning.

Would certainly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MrsK
Reviewed August 4, 2006

One thing the Grafton is famous for is the oppresive heat in most of the rooms, compounded by a lack of air-conditioning. Myself, and some of my colleagues have stayed here in the past and had the same problems as many of the posters here.

This is a shame, because I have always found the location perfect, the staff friendly and the rooms are excellent - big and well-equipped with a good bathroom.

As it was fairly warm at night when I stayed there last week, I had to have the windows open which didn't help much but what capped it for me was the building site directly opposite my window, started work at 6:30am every morning.

OK, the hotel cannot be blamed for the building work going on but it would have been OK if there was some air-conditioning.

Other niggles were - the TV was supposed to have 15 channels and I could only get 5, plus there was no remote.

Couldn't check in until late in the afternoon as there had been some mix up. On previous visits, they had the same problem and given up, putting me in a hotel next door!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank dicanio10
Reviewed August 2, 2006

We had a fantastic weekend - no problems at all. Getting aro-und was easy - hotel arranged transfers from the airport with --- - which overall cost the same as the bus.

Grafton Capital Hotel - couldn't fault it really - rooms were clean - good size and the breakfast was great (well for those of us who could face it!). We were ina group of 13 and they were very helpful all the way up to and during the stay.

Location is great - very close to all the attractions.

Hotel also has a bar and nightclub attached called Break for the Border which was excellent and well busy.

If you don't plan to be up partying though ask for a back room.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends