“Not the worst but there are definitely way better options...”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Paddy's Palace

and 1 more site!
Paddy's Palace
Ranked #72 of 106 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Sydney, Australia
“Not the worst but there are definitely way better options...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

Stayed here the night before a Paddywagon tour. I wasn't expecting much since I had heard/read mixed things. It's basic. I stayed in a 10 bed mixed dorm but there was only four of us in the room. The building itself is cramped and very noisy. The walls are thin and I could hear people coming and going up and down the stairs all night. The bathrooms weren't exceptionally clean (not the worst I've seen though) Breakfast was nothing to rave about, wifi in reception was ok but really that's about it. If you're looking for something cheap then sure, but there is definitely a hell of a lot better places which are greater value for money out there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mms363
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We offer a simple package which involves clean rooms and basic breakfast, nothing more and nothing less..

I hope you enjoyed Ireland and we hope to see you again soon.

Dora

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for several nights; rooms and facilities were clean, staff were friendly and helpful, and it was conveniently located near a bus terminal and within walking distance of all the required shops and attractions.

Booking tours through their company (Paddywagon) also got us discounted rates for both the rooms and some of the tours, and the tours themselves were great.

Only fault I could find; no towel racks in our dorm. Trivial, but would useful!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am glad to hear you had a pleasant stay.

We hope to see you again soon.

Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed here recently and was attracted by the great deal the hostel offers. If you stay more than 2 nights, you get a free tour to Kilkenny and Glendalough, which was a really lovely place to visit! You also get free airport transfers directly to and from the hostel, which saves you a ton of money and rids you of the hassle of trying to find your own way in. The reception was also very welcoming and friendly and recommended a nice restaurant for my friend and I. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the location is great, just minutes from Temple Bar and O'Connell Street! Definitely the best deal in Dublin!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am glad to hear you had a pleasant stay.

We hope to see you back again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed for two nights 8th and 9th of November. Only went there because my friends wanted to stay in a hostel in order to meet people. I stayed in many hostels in my life but this one was just terrible. Rooms are way too small, the second night no one even bother to clean or change the sheets, plus you have to pay two euros to get a disgusting and stained towel. The safe-lockers are in the reception and they look like you can open them with a toothpick, the good thing Dublin is a safe city and i had no issues in that sense. The showers have to be activated by pressing a bottom every 30 seconds, i mean, i am pro environment and everything but that is just annoying. The female receptionists were very nice. However, there was a guy in the night shift which was just mean and said things like take your staff quick and leave because the reception is close. Its true it was late, maybe 2 am when i was coming back to the hostel but the door was open and i asked if i could come in to fetch something and he said yes, and after 1 minute he made that statement among others, of course i gave him a piece of my mind! And finally we were supposed to get a shuttle to the airport provided by the hotel and we were waiting at 4 am outside and they said they had enough people already and just left us there, good thing the airport is not that far and a taxi is affordable. I would suggest spend a bit more money and look for a nice guest house if you are searching for budget accommodation but definitely i would not stay here again. Cheers

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank santi_delarosa
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear you had an unpleasant stay. We offer a simple package which involves clean rooms and basic breakfast, nothing more and nothing less. Our reception is opened 24h and the lockers are right in front of it and locked so no one could pick the lock. Rooms are cleaned daily and we make sure that there is a level of cleanliness maintained at all times.

Our airport shuttle never turns down our guests and I am shocked to hear you had experienced such a thing.

I hope you enjoyed Ireland never the less.

Dora

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

cork
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Booked a room here at last minute last month. Girl was lovley on the phone. Only thing was she didnt tell me i had to have id. left the car in red cow got the luis in left my licence in the car. Had my wife and two kids 15 years old with me. As soon as i walked in an asian guy shouted no rooms full up at me. Isaid i have a room booked, fill these in he said. so i filled the forms in and went back up. ID he said. I told him ileft it in the car. NO ID NO ROOM!!!. I said my wife has id. SHE CAN STAY HE SAID NO ONE ELSE. I asked to speak to a manager he said NO THEY WILL ONLY TELL YOU THE SAME GOOD NIGHT!!! It was 7.30 in the evenining that guy just left us on the side of the road. sent 3 emails. Nothing. Never again. TERRIBLE!!!

Room Tip: dont even go!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ger g
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience, I will inquire about the incident and make sure it never happens again.

Navarre, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

We had scheduled a 4 day trip, so decided to stay at Paddy's Palace the night before. Reception people were pleasant and informative. But imagine my surprise when, after dragging bags up several flights of stairs, that our Private room was a set of bunk beds made with one sheet! I thought we had been short sheeted! Also, we had to rent two towels! We stayed there 2 nights after the tour as well, but moved somewhere else closeby after 2 nights of cold showers and non-existent internet. Paddywagons Tours are awesome!!!!! Had a super fabulous time and will recommend them to anyone who will listen, but stay somewhere else before and after!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on here go lowest floor. No elevator, so you have to carry everything up.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank swampgirl2
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear you had an unpleasant stay. We offer a simple package which involves clean rooms and basic breakfast, nothing more and nothing less. We never mentioned any elevators being available therefor one should be prepared to walk up some stairs since they are both older buildings and we cannot make space for an elevator.

I hope you enjoyed Ireland never the less.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Normally, I am a very patient person and give hostels I stay in an open mind, even the badly rated ones a fair chance. I have worked in the hospitality and tourism sectors for nearly 8 years now and so I know how it can be sometimes.

The first night before my tour was ok, had no complaints.. the showers were a bit so/so but for what you pay you can"t expect luxury.
For convenience sake, I decided to stick with Paddy's for 2 nights after my tour was over. Again same deal, only this time, when I used a third floor bathroom on the morning of my departure, i found myself trapped inside! The door was unlocked but when you pushed the door handle down to release the button - nothing happened! Long story short, after 1 hour of dealing with non-english speaking girls who were trying to use tools to open the door themselves, the handy man finally came and eventually had to break down the door! Turns out, at some point either when the door was installed or later - the metal encasing for the button had been removed meaning the wooden door had swollen around it refusing to let it unlatch! The handy man was as unimpressed as I was there was only 2 non-english speaking employees and a NO manager in sight.

The girl at reception was completely understanding and even ordered a cab to the airport for us. She advised me to email the hostel about a reimbursement for my stay as you can all imagine, a traumatic experience like this would warrant such a thing at ANY hostel or hotel. Here we are an entire week and 3 emails later and I have not received a SINGLE response or even a damned apology for what occurred.

For an extra 5-10 euro i recommend going around the corner to Isaacs hostel which was by far a superior hostel!

Paddy's Palace Dublin... you ruin the name of the ever so fantastic Paddywagon tours and if Paddywagon tours had any common sense they would scrap whoever is running the place in favour for someone who actually gives a damn about customer service and tourism!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo