“Two excellent meals” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Greenhouse
Ranked #191 of 2,529 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Two excellent meals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

The chef in the Greenhouse, Mickael Viljanen moved from Gregans Castle in Lisdoonvarna and has continued to produce fantastic food at much more reasonable prices than you usually pay for the same standard in Dublin. The tasting menu is particularly good value compared to that in a number of Michelin starred Dublin restaurants and is easily better than most. There are light and humorous touches to the food reminiscient of The Fat Duck and a fascination with interesting, local ingredients similar to Bras. The staff, especially the sommelier were top notch, friendly and very professional. The restaurant is quite small but the seating is comfortable and not cramped, the decor might be a little bit over the top for lunch but during the evening it works very well.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Fergusfood

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Special Occasion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My Fiance brought be here recently to celebrate my Birthday, and what a celebration it was! We had the 5 course surprise menu and to food was outstanding - the most divine lamb for mains. This is fine dining in Dublin at its best. The only reason I am docking a star was because of the communication skills of our French waiter. He was very professional but far too quietly spoken and had to strain our ears to hear what he was saying, which was frustrating as hearing what's on your plate is part of the fun! We ordered a cheese plate to share but it pitched up before dessert which was we thought was quite strange and had to ask to have it removed and returned after dessert - again this was down to poor communication from the waiter. Saying that though it didn't ruin what was a fabulous meal and great dining experience.

“A Really Special Treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We went here on Saturday for the 5 course lunch tasting menu. We had heard great reports about the restaurant and were definitely not disappointed. Everything about our experience was fantastic! The decor of the restaurant is beautiful and very subtle. We were seated in a little section up a few steps and we had the area to ourselves which was an added bonus. From where my boyfriend was sitting he could see in to the restaurant so he was delighted! From the bread to the canapes, fish courses, meat course and dessert every course was more delicious than the one that went before it. Everything was absolutely beautifully presented. The staff were extremely helpful and very friendly without feeling overbearing at all. The meal was not cheap but we knew that would be the case and with that level of service and food so amazingly presented and beautifully delicious we didn't mind the cost at all. I would definitely recommend the restaurant and I definitely hope to go back again. This is the perfect place for a special occasion!

Ireland
“Lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Where I could not fault the quality of the meal , I found the whole experience a little pretentious. The presentation was really good, I had the chicken , like your other reviewers choice was limited, either cod or chicken, I opted for the two course. Three of our party chose the chicken, and I would say it was one breast of chicken divided in 6 pieces and we got 2 small portions each, nicely arranged on the plate,with small spoon of pureed potato, chicken sitting on teaspoonful of spinach,small half onion,and some pureed mushroom, very tasty, but so miniscule. Souffle followed and that was perfect. I decided to have cup coffee after my meal, to charge 5 euro for small cup of coffee was crazy. I have eaten in Michelin star restaurants and at least have come away with my appetite sated, this was not the case, poor value for money

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank patsy62
“Best meal I've ever had!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I went here with my boyfriend for dinner mid week. We had the surprise tasting menu with the matching wines- it was absolutely amazing. Each course was full of flavor and the dishes were beautifully presented. The wines were really well paired and the sommelier was very knowledgable and so friendly. The staff were really lovely and not at all over bearing.
Having eaten in quite a few Michelin star restaurants I don't understand why the greenhouse doesn't have one yet- it was by far the best meal I have ever had.
It is expensive but definitely worth it for a special occasion!