“Hipster cafe, good pancakes, bit pricey.”

Brother Hubbard North
Ranked #56 of 2,700 Restaurants in Dublin
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our aim is to serve simple, fresh food and drinks that are made with a lot of love and effort so that they can be something that we can be proud of, something you can enjoy.
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Based on all the positive reviews and the line at the door, I was hoping to be blown out of the water by Brother Hubbard but after having brunch there this past weekend, I'm still very much on the fence about the food.

While waiting to be seated, we perused the menu (which is a great time saver that other restaurants would benefit from adopting) and opted for the semolina pancakes, pulled pork sandwich and the flourless almond orange cake. I was so excited to try the cake after seeing all the rave reviews but was unfortunately disappointed by it. It was extremely dense, not particularly flavorful and topped with a little swirl of dark chocolate frosting. For those avoiding flour, I'm sure it's a nice treat, but it was pretty much a more expensive and heavy version of the fairy cakes you'd get at the grocery store.

Luckily, the semolina pancakes were a pleasant surprise after the underwhelming cake. Covered in a lovely berry rose compote, creme and hazelnut-almond praline that added a surprise crunchy texture, these pancakes were light, flavorful and very tasty. However, they were also quite thin, and for nearly €10, I wouldn't mind getting more than two. The pulled pork sandwich (apparently recently rated among the best in Dublin) was good, but nothing to write home about. While the pork was cooked well, the coleslaw underneath it had a strange horseradish-y taste to it that was too strong and didn't complement the pork.

Overall, I would come back here for the pancakes and to try a few of the other dishes on the menu, but only if I was already in the area and there wasn't a long wait.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Visited here numerous times for lunch over the past two years and more recently for brunch, so will base the review on the latter.

Had the pulled pork sandwich which was great while my girlfriend had the semolina pancake. My sandwich was great, lots of flavour, great fresh bread and generally enough to feed a small army. Went for the fruit juices/teas which were a bit watered down/tasteless to be honest.

Decided to go for a hot chocolate which I must say is one of the nicest hot chocolates i've ever had. You get steamed foamy hot chocolate in a jug which you pour into your cup which has a base of ganache at the bottom. This creates the most perfect cup of hot chocolate that you could ever imagine. And plenty of it. To finish got a americano to go. The place used 3fe coffee, and must say was also one of the best coffees have had in a while.

All in all, I do think the drinks (hot chocolate and coffee) are a bit better than the food, but at the same time, the former are pretty hard to beat to begin with!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Ateatmosphere r the first. ime on Feb 27th 2014 with my partner and baby.

Atmosphere was buzzy, menu short but appealing. I had a beef sandwich which was tasty with a medium soup (for €3 extra) which was hearty and delicious. Partner's hot, pulled pork sandwich was very good as was the accompanying salad. Staff were exceptionally friendly. Total bill including tea and coffee was nearly €24 which I thought was expensive enough, but we enjoyed the food and will return. Saw soup on the menu for €6.50 which seemed extortionate to me regardless of how good it is but I'm sure there'll be some who'll gladly pay it. Outdoor non-smoking area was nice but heaters need to be upgraded.

Happy to have found this place and will return.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Short wait for a table but staff were friendly & took food order while we waited.Food itself was excellent, as usual.Had pulled pork sandwich & delicious raspberry & apple & rose drink for lunch. Highly recommend this little spot & good to hear they're expanding soon too.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

On Saturday afternoon we decided to pop in just for a coffee. It's the second time I have been - first time I tried the pulled pork and would definitely recommend that. This time we were literally just in for a coffee and brownie. My boyfriend said the coffee was one of the best he's ever had - and I nearly wanted to try it even though I hate coffee. Instead I stuck with the raspberry, apple and rose home-made juice which was very tasty indeed. I ordered a brownie as I have heard they are the best in town and was pretty upset when they had just run out. Instead I opted for the orange and almond cake and I am very glad I did. It was the tastiest treat ever! The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful and it's obvious they all love what they do. The place has a great buzz about it and everything is of the highest quality. I now will have to go back again asap to get this elusive brownie and I can't wait to try the brunch!!