“Uncomfortable, average food but good service”
Review of Bear

Bear
Ranked #784 of 2,591 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Www.twitter.com/beardublin
Bruxelles
“Uncomfortable, average food but good service”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We were looking for a T-bone steak in a cosy place and someone had advised us Bear. Unfortunately, it wasn't a cosy place at all: bar stools instead of chairs, pseudo-modern decoration and above all, very very cold, so cold that we had to keep our coats on. On the menu, no T-bone steak but a fair selection of other steaks. I took the rosary steak, which is a very good piece, but why dipping it in a marinade when the taste is better natural? The french fries are orginal but I still prefer the classic ones. Vegetables are good but expensive. At the bar, no Coke, no decaffeinated coffee and no liquor! Very very poor bar... However, the wine was good. A very positive point: the waitress made big efforts to please us and offered the salad since it came late.

• Visited March 2013

Dublin, Ireland
“Great Atmosphere & Good Value”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I had lunch at Bear on a Good friends recommendation. She had raved about the odd meat cuts, and the value for money, and I absolutely have to agree with her.
The soup of the day was 'Potato Leek with Horse Radish Skins'. The generous portion came beautifully presented, and it tasted just as lovely. This soup was anything but boring, and it came with a portion of toasted thin bread drizzled in olive oil and sprinkled with crushed salt!
For mains we both ordered a special odd cut for under a tenner. I'd ordered the 'Rosary cut' , but the moment the waiter put it on the table my jaw dropped and I knew my husband would have to tackle the beast. It was Huge! So we switched, and I had the pleasure of eating his 'Minute Steak' which was more an ideal size (Mind you I still couldn't finish it). Both came on a bed of perfectly addictive chips, which soaked up the juice lost from the steak.

Apart from the food and good service, what makes Bear special are the bizarre details that bring out its quirky personality. Like the cactus's that sit almost invisibly on each table, or the bright pink bathrooms that match the lunch menu, or the simple recycled wine bottles they use for tap water! I would happily go back, but would bring my friends next time!

• Visited March 2013
“Lovely steak!”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I was surprised at all the negative comments about Bear. I have only been for lunch so perhaps the dinner is a different story. The staff arent overly friendly but I think that is better than having them in your face, they are polite. The food is very tasty and the pricing is very reasonable. I will definitely return.

Visited March 2013
Manchester
“overpriced pretentious cafe”
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

i only want 2 say the quality of food was poor & tasteless. lemonade in a jar is overpriced & prententious. staff prancing about. no atmosphere. wished we wentv2 mc d's as wouldn't have felt ripped. unless it changes will go out of business.

1 Thank MrMiddleEngland
“So disappointed!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Was pretty excited to finally try Bear Dublin... great location, trendy vibe with cool lighting and a good lively atmosphere helped by the DJ. The craft beers while we waited for our table were well priced at only €2.50 a glass and were actually really tasty! However, the downfall started when we took our seat by the window, such a bad draft we may aswell have been sitting outside. The food could not possibly have been freshly cooked or prepared as it arrived max. 5 mins after ordering. I went for the rack of ribs which were like something out of a fast food diner, smothered in a bbq sauce that was too sweet for a dessert. The accompanying chips had must have been sitting under the heat for 10 mins as they were luke warm and overdone. How hard is it to get chips wrong? It showed a lack of professionalism. If they concentrated on serving good food it could be a great spot but I certainly won't be going anytime soon with the prices they charge. So disappointed

• Visited February 2013