“Lunch at bear”

Description: Www.twitter.com/beardublin
London
“Lunch at bear”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Arrived on a Monday just after the lunch rush at 2.30. Front Office team very welcoming and helpful. Dish of day and soup excellent, chorizo sandwich a little dry. Lovely cocktails. Great stopping point for middle of day.

Ireland
“Worth a Visit”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I visited Bear with some work colleagues recently; I have been to "Jo Burger" (another of Joe Macken's restaurants) & was impressed with the quality of the food & the value for money, so I thought it was worth giving Bear a try. I had heard mixed reports about Bear, but thought I would find out for myself. The lunch menu is a mix of steaks, salads & sandwiches; I chose the rump with fries (rare). The steak was surprisingly large for a lunch portion (not that I was complaining!) & with a €10 price tag with fries it was great value. The meat was of a very good quality & was served with a slab of garlic butter (which was a little bit pungent but still very tasty). The steak was cooked exactly as requested & well seasoned, the mountain of fries that came with the steak were some of the best I have had in Dublin over the last year. Overall all of the diners were very happy with Bear & personally I will be heading to Crackbird (another Macken restaurant) to see if he can provide a hatrick! My advice, ignore the negative reviews & give Bear a try; I don't believe you will be disappointed.

• Visited February 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Hit & Miss”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This place could be and should be much better, especially given the pedigree. I love the sister places (Jo Burger, Crackbird and Skinflint) and the setup here is certainly similarly fun and funky but I've been twice now and both times have left pretty disappointed. Most recently we were a party of 7 booked in for 8 (confirmed by email); for some reason they had us as a party of 6 booked in for 9 so it took a little scrabbling to get us seated. The place was completely full but service was still very slow; it took a good 20mins+ for our steaks to arrive (although none of us had ordered any of the dishes that warn you to wait). The sides generally outshone the mains. Our dishes of beets, carrots, leeks and salt'n'vinegar potatoes were all superb but our two portions of million-dollar fries were both waaay overcooked; having had them before, I know they're not meant to be blackened! The steaks were just okay except for the two of us who got the "feathered" type, both of which were unacceptably gristle-y. We ordered more wine which seemed to get forgotten about so we had to ask again. And then there was some confusion with the bill when we wanted to pay by card but tip in cash. I'd really like to come back sometime but they definitely need to sharpen up their act.

• Visited February 2013
Ireland
“Nice if you have a strong jaw”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We ordered the bavette between 3 of us having been told by the waiter that it was the best choice on the menu. It looked great, cooked perfectly, but was far too tough for my liking. In fairness to the establishment, they do say "flavour over tenderness", however that should probably read "tasty but tough". Sides were good, ambiance was pleasant but the staff could have been a bit sharper. We were there pretty early, with only 2 other tables occupied. The waitress proceeded to show us to a table within spitting distance of a family, 3 of whom were under the age of 6 or 7 (and in noisy form...). We were moved after a quiet word.

• Visited January 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Lacking "Bear" Essentials!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Was excited about ginig to this restaurant given the Jamie Heaslip connection and the hype that surrounds that.
I went to lunch with a work associate and was very underwhelmed.
We were brought to our seats but left to put our coats on the seats (no offer to hang them somewhere). In fact this probably wasnt too bad as it was rather cold in the restaurant.
Menu was quite limited.
Slow to take order (and it wasn't particularly busy)
Had steak and chips and in fairness it was fine but both steaks arrived with garlic butter on top (there was no mention of garlic butter on menu).
The girl looking after us did ask half way through if we weree ok.
Had to call the girl to ask for coffee.
The food was good value for money but the experience left a lot to be desired...wont be going back.

• Visited January 2013