“Disappointing”

Bear
Ranked #757 of 2,559 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Steakhouse, European
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Www.twitter.com/beardublin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The restaurant was cold, the food was cold and overcooked. There was a bear hair in my wine. I wouldn't go back which was a shame as I really wanted to enjoy it.

1 Thank LokiK

Dublin, Ireland
“I hate to say it but...”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This place has gone down hill.

I recently revisited Bear and was sadly disappointed in my steak and sides. The steak, which I have had three times before, tasted awful (old) and was full of gristle, the million dollar fries were luke warm and soggy from grease, and my previous favorite horseradish coleslaw had been completely mellowed out and over mayonaised! I can excuse the occasional bad cut of meat, it happens! But the general downturn in the overall quality of the food is inexcusable.

When I complained to the server, she was kind enough, took the steak off the bill and offered a complimentary coffee but also said, "Well ya know, we had to adapt the food to fit the average Irish taste"...

Wow...

I guess their goal is to be just another overpriced mediocre Dublin restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank AshleyDashlyDont
Dublin, Ireland
“Great food shame about the service.”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Great luunch with friends but the staff seem far to cool to care about the customer. We were in the mood to drink a few bottles of wine and they could have earned a lot more from us if they had tried but we eat and left as the staff really were terrible.

“Good steak-house”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Don't go there if you expect a traditional restaurant, it's an easy-going steakhouse but not the kind of place I would bring my parents to. You usually have to expect for a table especially if you're a big a party but that's OK. Service is good, food is good as well. Now about the food, the steak was good, some cuts better than other I'd say anyway most people don't really understand what's on the menu because some of the cuts are quite uncommon (or maybe we're no expert!) but there is no explanation on the menu and no extra information. That said I like to experiment with food so that's not a problem, now the 2 things I really didn't like: 1) the pork T-bone is served medium, I just wouldn't eat it but the waiter warns you when ordering so at least you know in advance 2) my sister ordered the ribs, they are well cooked and very nice but there is no indication on the menu that they are literally drenched in a sort of lime and ginger sauce.. I mean what if you don't like it? they should either tell you or put it on the side in my opinion. That said they are tasty and the portion in quite big. I tried also the famous million dollar fries, not so exciting in my opinion but the rest of the table loved it so they're probably good. Would go back anyway, the bavette was very good and ordered medium was perfect.

1 Thank sunnyside1984
Luxembourg, Luxembourg, Luxembourg
“Quirky but over-rated for where they are right now....should get better in time.”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was recommended to try this place by my two sisters who would defo consider themselves foodies .
I liked the idea of the large communal tables, this always creates a good buzz among guests and lets you spark up some chat with your neighbours.

We ate there for lunch and the menu was very small but had enough on it for all three of us to choose happily enough.
Hers is my quick review.......

We ordered:

-one Minute steak (Nice small piece of beef served homestyle chip).
- one sweet n spicy beef wrap ( Good flavours although way too much sauce in the wrap which left the plate resembling a soup bowl in the end).
- one chicken chimichurri wrap(Best plate of the three...it was all good :-)

All in all this place is worth stopping by for a try but best to leave it another 12months so they can fix the problems(repairs) in the salle and perfect the food.

T