“A solid alternative”

The Belvedere Hotel
Ranked #64 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This review is based on 6 days in a family room.
First of all: if it is important to you that the bath is in mint condition, that the room TV is at least a 38" flatscreen, you are out of luck. For the rest of us:The room is clean, the beds OK, and although the bathroom is a bit dated, everything is working as it should. The staff is very friendly, the breakfast is very good, and the hotel is situated just far enough from Parnell Square to be in a more silent neighbourhood. The bar in the hotel is friendly, and both the pub lunch and the dinner menus are worth sampling.
Bus 16 from the airport stops at Parnell Square. you just walk up the road to the crossing by the church and turn right. The road will become Great Denmark Street after a few meters.
Being almost at the top of O´Connel street, you are 10 minutes of gentle stroll from the main post office and the shopping area along Henry Street, and 20 minutes form Temple Bar and Grafton Street.
One hint: When using your credit card, make sure that the amount is in Euro. There seems to be some sort of auto-routine pre-selecting the local currency of the credit card.....

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank groeri

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Just back from an overnight stay with my husband. The hotel is within walking distance of Connolly train station. It is a great base for exploring the city. Just around the corner from the garden of remembrance. Our room was very quiet and comfortable, breakfast was lovely. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Our room had 4 steps up to bathroom, no problem if mobility ok. Our room had a small window looking...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for two nights in July and enjoyed it for the most part. The hotel is a bit of a maze and it's easy to get lost.
There's free wi-Fi in the lobby which works really well.
My room and bathroom were spacious and clean, but a bit stuffy as it was warm outside and there was little air circulation in the room.
The service at this hotel is what makes it great. I inquired about a nearby pharmacy because I woke up with a headache. The pharmacies were not open yet, so the front desk person went out of her way, searching around the hotel and polling the other workers to see if she could get me something to help me. Even after I told her I'd be okay, she continued to inquire about my health. Very nice people working here.
Breakfast was great and very filling.
The only negative I'd attribute to this place is the location. It was quite close to a lot of major attractions such as O'Connell Street and Temple Bar, however I kept hearing over and over what a sketchy part of town this was. Even a cab driver made a joke about making sure the doors were locked.
I didn't personally have any problems, but this did concern me as we walked back to the hotel late at night several times.
Overall, a good experience.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We got a nice, airy room with a little corner to sit in.
The bathroom was very big, too. The beds were comfortable and provided a good night's sleep. The city center is not far off and within walkinf distance of the hotel.
However, the hotel ist quiet and one can recover from the lively city in the clean and comfortably furnished rooms.
Recommendable!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2012

we were a family of six, asked for two rooms near each other, which we got.
rooms were very spacious and clean, and the beds were very comfortable.

the staff were friendly and very accomodating.

breakfast was just perfect, lots on offer and plenty of it.

wouldnt hesitate to stay here again.

thankyou belvedere and your lovely staff.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 324 and 325 facing the road outside which was quiet when we stayed.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ohagan666
Reviewed July 27, 2012

got a great price on room cheapest in dublin for 3* hotel city centre location only down side was not enough milk in rooms for tea or coffee all in all great place to stay close to all city places of interest.

Room Tip: all rooms are very clean & comfortable had to chase up extra milk for tea - coffee.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gerardmck
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for the Westlife concert, I thought it was over priced costing us over €200 for one night. The hotel receptionist were quite rude when I first checked in ignoring me and continuning on with their conversation. The bedroom I thought was very poor to begin with; bathroom needed a renovation, the side of the bath appeared to be coming off with cobwebs and dirt visible to the eye. The bedroom was drafty and cold with no heating on, the bed was lumpy and cold with no warmth in the duvet. We ate in the restuarant, the food was ok staff seemed over ran, while paying for the food the barman and the waiters seemd to start a fight in front of us over an extra desert ordered for a table. Overall, for the price it cost us it was a terrible experience and would not reccomend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Cathal O, General Manager at The Belvedere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Dear Sile

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. Please accept my apologies for the experience that you had during your resent stay. This is definitely not our usual standard. I have noted your comment on the bathroom and we are in the process of refurbishing all our bathrooms on a rolling basis.
I would be very happy if you could email me with the number of the room that you stayed in and also I would like an opportunity to make this up to you.

Cathal O'Donoghue