“Just ok”

Ranked #89 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Ireland
“Just ok”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here night of irish match v faroe islands... got a really good price with their summer special....asked for refurbished room which was basically the old rooms that got painted up... shower was poor and no air conditioning we were facing south so room was boiling at sunrise... tried opening window but screw install to prevent you opening the window more than an inch or two... safety measure with 100euro fine if tampered with.... on the positive side staff were very nice... breakfast was excellent and the free parking was a bonus..

Room Tip: would need to have refurbished room as minimum and book a fan in good weather
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Metairie
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We were on a Brendan Vacation Tour and we stayed in your lovely hotel 2 times. My husband and I were extremely pleased with the courtesies extended to us by all the staff we encountered.
Everyone in the group felt equally happy with the accommodations. By the way, we are not
handicapped and did not need special care. Our bed was so comfortable we hated to leave.
Thank You for your fine hospitality. Hope to return to your beautiful and convenient hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a view if possible.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kathryn B
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

The staff were friendly and helpful. It was great that the rooms were ready at 12 noon. I called and took a chance and they were, great!

The rooms have been renovated, a good size for city hotel, toiletries and hair dryer. I like that the hotel is non smoking have to smoke outside, wonderful. You may to air out your room a bit since Ireland is a country that is damp with all the rain. After an hour the room is fine. There is a pub and restaurant to get a bite to eat but there are other places to eat all around the hotel. This hotel is near the embassies and about 20 minute walk from the temple bar area.

You will have to pay for the Internet but that is the norm in Europe.

The breakfast buffet had a good variety and staff was quick to clear tables. So no waiting.

I would return to this hotel again.

Stayed May 2013
1 Thank luciab23
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Currently writing this in the hotel bar with a glass of wine to get over my disappointment....
Checked in for four nights in a deluxe room, only to get to my room and find it a standard room that is dark, musty and run down.
Returned to reception only to be told that unless I could give them my booking number they couldn't even check if I was telling them the truth. Luckily I had my work laptop and could return to my room sign in and pay for the WiFi to forward their confirmation email back to them.
Upon returning to reception they apologised but because they were fully booked they could do nothing!
They have promised to change my room tomorrow and make the WiFi free but it is simply just not good enough.
Am only using this hotel to attend a conference here... Next time I will stick to the much nicer and cheaper ones my work normally uses.....

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank KieranJWhite

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Kansas City
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Don't know about other rooms but we stayed in the Towers the beginning of June, 2013 and had a exceptionally nice room in every regard. Beautiful hotel and good food in the dining room. Pleasant staff. Plenty of amenities. Did not patronize the bar/lounge area but it was quite attractive. Dining room food was good.
I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a new room. Possibly in the Towers.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jacksmack
Burton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Booked a last minute weekend away with a friend, and chose this hotel primarily because it was cheaper. Used the transfer bus to get from the airport to the city centre. City centre was a good 20mins work from the hotel but it was i midday so we didn't mind! At night we did get a taxi as didn't want to walk which ranged from th €7 - €10. There are lots of taxis around Dublin so that's not a problem. Staff very friendly no issues checking in. Room was nice, nothing overly modern but was a nice well kept clean room which is all you need for a weekend away. Bath and shower, both clean and tidy!breakfast wasn't included in our package but that was €12.95 we didn't have this we eat elsewhere. On the first night we went to the bar attached to the hotel which was nice as they had a live band but drinks were expensive, €13 for a double vodka lemon and lime. Then again food and drink wasn't cheap in Dublin anyway! Flew back at 6 in the morning on the way home, reception helpful and called us a taxi to the airport transfer drop off. Would defo stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank stacey1990_04
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel on Saturday night (1/6/13). I booked a double room. The room was very dated, old fashioned and in need of major improvement. The shower was worthless, no power at all. If one was to chose a bath instead, it was another disaster as it took quite some time for it to fill. The shower gel dispenser was hanging off its mount. There was a big crack and chip on the mirror, repaired with putty. The nets on the windows are rather 1980's. The window was bruised with drill holes from previous points where the safety chained had been attached. You would get more air on the moon than through the horrid tilted window. Resident bar seems to be a 'pick and choose' policy amongst guests, There were three hotel guests drinking freshly poured alcoholic drinks in the lobby at 2.20am I made a enquiry about obtaining a drink in the residents bar, I was informed the bar was closed in a rather impolite manner without an explanation by the staff member. The staff member didn't even stop and speak with me when I made this enquiry, no courtesy was shown to their guest in my opinion. Either the hotel has a residents bar or it doesn't. I would assume no if people may decide to book. However, I stayed in this hotel in February 2013 and the residents bar was open.?!. Parking is €10.50 overnight. I wouldn't think it's the most secure car park in modern times. I would feel more comfortable paying that fee if I knew the car park was fully secured not just by a plastic barrier. €5 would suffice if at all a fee.. Reminds me of a "Ryanair" Hotel, pay for everything which should be complimentary. I won't be staying here again and I'll take my custom elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Fingaldub
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. As you may have seen from our ground floor area we are currently undergoing a full refurbishment of the hotel. The ground floor is almost complete and we have also completed 122 of our bedrooms. We are commencing phase 2 of our refurbishment on the 1st July where we will complete a further 120 bedrooms.

Our car parking is very secure as we have staff on 24 hours a day which patrol this area. To date we have have never had any incident in our car park.

Regards