“Rooms a little dated but a well managed hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ballsbridge Hotel

Ranked #90 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Tyrone
“Rooms a little dated but a well managed hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We had a school group staying here for a concert in the National concert hall. The booking process was very straightforward and cheap for Dublin. The hotel is close to many of the concert halls and the Aviva Stadium. The bus service into the centre is frequent, but just make sure you have the fare in coins as the bus driver does not accept notes or give change. There is a taxi rank beside the hotel which we made use of as well. The rooms were clean but a little outdated with old furniture and bulky televisions. The carpets were getting a little worn too. However, we are living through a recession and hotels are doing well to stay open so I'm not going to complain too much. Reception staff were pleasant and the breakfast good. All in all a good stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank s10cud
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and found our staff helpful. I'm also glad to inform you we've started a refurbishment plan on our guest rooms. I do hope you will consider us again.

Ballsbridge Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed here recently over Easter period. Hotel was very central and reception staff very helpful with directions etc. Room was very clean and quiet and bed comfortable. Handy tea/coffee making facility in the room is always a bonus. Dislike paying for WiFi. Food was great, breakfast in the morning was nice too. Good value for money. Manager Donal Meehan was a pleasure to meet Easter Sunday morning he has a great rapport with visitors and was more than helpful to me with a few queries I had, I would be more than happy to return again and I shall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lorna D
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks so much for your kind review and I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your comments to Donal.

Warm wishes
Schaumburg, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed at the Ballsbridge Hotel in March of 2013 with a group of 8 people. The hotel staff are very nice and you can get an amazing Irish coffee in the bar!! The room that my husband and I stayed in was in a separate wing and it was extremely nice. My sister and her husband stayed in a different wing and there room was dated. I think that they must have remodeled half of the hotel and were not done yet. I even had a towel warmer in my room! This hotel was a good price and a fantastic location with clean rooms and good food. There were little pubs within walking distance and a bank on the corner to change our money over to euros. I would stay here again if I ever went back to Dublin.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the side of the hotel that has been remodeled. There was a huge difference in the ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank skenneavy
Dear Guest

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will consider us on your next visit to Dublin.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

I was booked in here by my company for a three night stay on business, whilst in Dublin last year Great reception and efficient staff. Very friendly and corteous. Looked the part. I did notice there are lots of internationals in the whole of Dublins service industry and this hotel was no exception. Sign of the times I guess, although I have to say this is not a negative observation.
The room was adequete and was pretty ordinary (I stay in a lot of these type of rooms on business) but functional and correct. No gripes. Always gets me why hotels charge extra for WiFi though but my company paid so cant complain. Shower was great for my needs and nice touches with decent towels, one of my gripes unfortunately. The bed was comfy and room set out decently.
They served us a great meal and afterwards in the bar, all was good.
If I had to stay here again , I would not be dissapointed.

Room Tip: Close enough and far enough from the city centre.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bluenose1961
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and I hope you will consider us on your next stay in Dublin.

Derry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed here for the Robbie Williams Concert in the O2 last September. The hotel could really do with a makeover. The carpet was badly stained in our bedroom, the shower rail was also all rusty. Although the food was lovely at breakfast time, car park was cheap enough. A bus stopped outside the hotel to take us to the O2 and back. The staff didn't seem to know very mush about this as everyone we asked gave us a different answer.

Room Tip: Basic but not cheap!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and my apologies you found your room inadequate. I'm glad to inform you we are currently undergoing extensive bedroom refurbishment and I hope you will stay with us again.

Spruce Pine, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hotel is situated near many attractions in Dublin, and the staff were helpful in how to get to them, what to see, and any other amenities we needed. We stayed on the front and end of our trip to Ireland, and I enjoyed the breakfast buffet immensely, both as a first introduction to the famous specialties (fantastic cheeses, including chef-made Guinness cheddar), and as a final farewell.
The entire staff, with the exception of the understaffed evening restaurant, were very helpful. Of particular note was Donal Meehan, the senior manager. He was gracious, charming and made the stay an enjoyable one.

Room Tip: I would ask to not stay in The Towers (5th floor), as they were a bit musty. The showers were great...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thanks so much for your kind review and I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay. Donal sends his regards!

Warm wishes
Owego, New York, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

We were booked into this hotel because of a package deal with Aer Lingus. We were booked there for the first night and the last night. We had two rooms, one for my husband and I and one for our kids. Neither room was comfortable. There was no free wi-fi. The hotel itself was very nice. It appeared that it was once an upscale hotel. However, the bedding was very cheap. The sheets were scratchy and the pillows were as flat as pancakes. We requested additional pillows. This process took 45 minutes and an actual trip to the lobby to check our where they were. Eventually, we got one pillow. The beds were very uncomfortable, springs poking in your back. There were broken things, like trashcan lids and very sloppily repaired grout and caulking in the shower. The soap that was provided was in a dispenser and seemed to be based on lye, with a smell that was intolerable. We paid for our own rooms for our last night's stay just so we did not have to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa O
Dear Guest

My sincere apologies that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. I'm disappointed to hear about your room however I'm also glad to inform you we are currently midway through an extensive bedroom refurbishment. I hope you will visit us again on your next visit to Dublin.

Ballsbridge Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels