“Basic Hotel”
Review of Ballsbridge Hotel

Ranked #87 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed here for the Robbie Williams Concert in the O2 last September. The hotel could really do with a makeover. The carpet was badly stained in our bedroom, the shower rail was also all rusty. Although the food was lovely at breakfast time, car park was cheap enough. A bus stopped outside the hotel to take us to the O2 and back. The staff didn't seem to know very mush about this as everyone we asked gave us a different answer.

Room Tip: Basic but not cheap!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and my apologies you found your room inadequate. I'm glad to inform you we are currently undergoing extensive bedroom refurbishment and I hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hotel is situated near many attractions in Dublin, and the staff were helpful in how to get to them, what to see, and any other amenities we needed. We stayed on the front and end of our trip to Ireland, and I enjoyed the breakfast buffet immensely, both as a first introduction to the famous specialties (fantastic cheeses, including chef-made Guinness cheddar), and as a final farewell.
The entire staff, with the exception of the understaffed evening restaurant, were very helpful. Of particular note was Donal Meehan, the senior manager. He was gracious, charming and made the stay an enjoyable one.

Room Tip: I would ask to not stay in The Towers (5th floor), as they were a bit musty. The showers were great...

Dear Guest

Thanks so much for your kind review and I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay. Donal sends his regards!

Warm wishes

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We were booked into this hotel because of a package deal with Aer Lingus. We were booked there for the first night and the last night. We had two rooms, one for my husband and I and one for our kids. Neither room was comfortable. There was no free wi-fi. The hotel itself was very nice. It appeared that it was once an upscale hotel. However, the bedding was very cheap. The sheets were scratchy and the pillows were as flat as pancakes. We requested additional pillows. This process took 45 minutes and an actual trip to the lobby to check our where they were. Eventually, we got one pillow. The beds were very uncomfortable, springs poking in your back. There were broken things, like trashcan lids and very sloppily repaired grout and caulking in the shower. The soap that was provided was in a dispenser and seemed to be based on lye, with a smell that was intolerable. We paid for our own rooms for our last night's stay just so we did not have to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa O

Dear Guest

My sincere apologies that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. I'm disappointed to hear about your room however I'm also glad to inform you we are currently midway through an extensive bedroom refurbishment. I hope you will visit us again on your next visit to Dublin.

Kind regards

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I got this hotel as a part of a package deal and spent one night on the way into Ireland and one on the way out of Ireland. First thing, NO FREE WIFI, in fact they charge i think it's $6 euros a day for wifi, which i thought was rather cheap of the hotel. They have a few computers but that is a scam as you have to pay a few euros at a clip but the price per minute you can't pay so you can only pay for 10 minutes at a time and so i did and i can tell you that i was shut down in under 10 minutes.

I had to pay a highway toll and the helpful person at the concierge desk said oh we can help you on your computer. I came back and she was gone and four people at the desk were totally unhelpful and so i did it on my own, half way through the process they went to kick me off saying they needed it for a guest. I informed them i was a guest and they were unhelpful and i was going to be finished soon, i got some nasty stares.

They also charge a 10 euro charge to park you car there.

There was one really helpful guy at the concierge desk during the day, the rest of the staff seemed to be international who had very little local knowledge, not what I expected.

The room was small, fine and serviceable but tight. I did have a lovely view of the generator or something.

They have a large pub The Dubliner, that was actually not a bad pub to have a pint while waiting and on your way in our out. Sometime shortly after 10p i asked if i could get anything and they said the kitchen is closed, i said even for dessert? she said the desk could give me take out choices. Being an American i am always surprised when someone won't take the small effort to accomodate a guest, a few minutes after their self imposed cutoff time. it wasn't 1 am. fyi.

The hotel itself is in a nice area, near the US Embassay, a few things close by to walk to. We had a good Indian a few blocks away. it's a long walk into the Temple Bar area/Trinity area, not too far, but you are not in the middle of that action.

The lobby area was open and comfortable, a small coffee bar in the back and while we didn't have breakfast they had the usual breakfast buffet going.

Seemed like a busy hotel, lots of travelers in and out. I can't say it was bad, but i can't give it a glowing review either. For a few nights in Dublin, it will be just fine. But if you are looking for a place to really enjoy while you are in town, this is probably not it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thanks for your detailed review. I'd like to address a couple of your points if I may. Firstly I'm glad to inform you we are undergoing bedroom refurbishments at the moment and secondly we have introduced a 24 hour room service menu as we realised this was something our guests wanted.

Regarding the issues you had with service at reception I can only apologise and assure you this will be investigated with the reception manager and any training on local amenities that is needed will be given immediately.

I do hope you will consider staying with us on your next visit to see the great new changes to the hotel.

Kind regards

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We chose this hotel due to the reviews. We booked a double deluxe room. We arrived early and had to be put up in an "economy room" until 2pm. If you are in an economy room the heat turns off at 1am till 5am. The room was cold, but the front office staff provided room space heaters to help. Because there was a delay in getting our room, the front office staff offered us a free bottle of wine that was placed in our room. The deluxe room was amazing, heat and air conditioning 24/7, from the beds, to the bathroom which has a towel warmer to the pants press in the wardrobe. The staff was very helpful with all of our requests. The only downside was the breakfast buffet. It was just okay. The convenience of having something close to eat was nice. The bus ride to O'Connell street was about 10 min or 2.5 Euros. Very easy to navigate. Overall, we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Book a deluxe or a suite to be happy.
2  Thank Julie R
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I apologise that you were displeased by the buffet offering. I will review your comments with our Food and Beverage Manager immediately.

Regards

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Checked in at 12.30 and the room had already been made up. Reception was very welcoming.

Dinner was wonderful--great quality food! (This is from someone who has very high standards when it comes to eating out.) We were supposed to be eating in the restaurant, but when we arrived at the door, they told us that it was closed because it was too quiet, but they said we could get the same menu in the bar. Bar staff seemed a little uncoordinated and forgot about us for a while; I had to go over and remind them we had ordered deserts.

Room was excellent, though a bit of a trek from the reception (we were located in the Towers). It was spotless, spacious and even had a little walk-in wardrobe! Bed was very comfortable.

Breakfast was possibly the best I've ever had in Ireland; the fry was fresh, non-greasy and had flavour (not just salty) and the continental side was fresh too.

Check-out was done in literally a minute. Overall, a very enjoyable stay; I really can't see why some reviews here are so critical. We'll definitely be back!

Side notes: Taxi from O'Connell St cost about €8 and took approx 15 mins. The 7 bus also goes from O'Connell St and drops you at the gate, and costs approx €2.20. Walk into town takes approx. 15-20mins. Near the US Embassy. Gay-friendly.

3  Thank IrishTraveller91
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay in Dublin and the hotel bar was fab with great live music.

The lobby of the hotel and the area known as the tower looks brilliant. However, rooms out of the tower are just not quite up to scratch. We were told that they will be making improvements to these rooms later in the year.

Overall OK but if you want something more then book into the Tower area (or try the old school house hotel that was period and so pretty)

• Stayed: March 2013