“Very nice and pleasant stay”
Review of Ballsbridge Hotel

Ranked #87 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here our last night in Ireland. We booked via Sceptre tours so the hotel was picked for us. Easy to find, with the address on Sat Nav, but couldn't find it looking up by name. It's changed names a few times, or so our taxi driver later that night told us. Regardless, got there, very nice gal at check in went over bus routes and places to see in Dublin city center. Paid to park which is understandable in a city hotel. Pay for internet, stupid. In this day and age, give us free internet. The room was in the towers section, was clean and pleasant. Maybe a bit dated, but as long as it's clean, I don't care. I'd stay here again. Bus stop is just out front which made it easy to go into the city centre. Pleasant check out.

Room Tip: You have to pay for wireless.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PP&Hardware
There are newer reviews for Ballsbridge Hotel

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice and found it to be clean and in a very good location for concerts. The reception staff were lovely and very friendly as were the bar staff.
The food in the bar and the coffee shop were however quite overpriced, over €5 for 2 cups of tea !!!! €14.95 for what is basically a burger and 9 chips (stacked in a pretty tower).
Aside from this though it is certainly a good hotel to stay in and we will definately be staying there again !!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank sandrakissane
Reviewed March 3, 2013

OK, this hotel is fine...not great at all..but fine...rooms seemed clean...the tower rooms seem much nicer but our room still had stains on the carpet.

There is also no wifi...they say it is available but then they charge you for it....if you need it plenty of places comp it. My vote is to stay at one that does.

This hotel is relatively close to Centre City....and the airport bus is right out front..those are good things...

Room Tip: Stay in the tower
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I am just back from a weekend at this hotel. Two rooms were booked for the first night. One was a disability room as my elderly mother was with us. The toilet had been blocked by a sanitary towel. There was no seat in the disability room. There was some litter in it. The lights didn't work. In the other room the shower pressure was totally inadequate and the toilet flush too slow. The valance on the double bed was not put on correctly. The lampshades were cooked. The upholstery on one of the chairs was badly torn. There was no shampoo and no facility to buy any. I needed a needle and thread, and this could not be made available. There was a broken hairdryer in the bathroom. On the whole, it was very grubby. At breakfast, no sausage or eggs were available. There was a fine platter of cheese available at one point but when we went to avail of it it had been removed. I asked for coffee and was served tea. Worst of all, there was a lot of noise on the corridor during the night and we were unable to sleep. On the positive Sid, the staff were very peasant, the bar was good and the location was excellent. We were given free parking when we reported the problems.

Room Tip: Our rooms were on the ground floor..not good and noisy
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lottie54
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel was ok for the price we paid but its not excellent ,not even close of that. In the recepcion we were only well received for an kindly recepcionist that was young in the hotel but was the only that received us well.And the recepcionist was Spanish not Irish.The rest of the staff didnt have the simpaty that the irish people use to have, Maybe because the hotel its big and not so causy .The room was ok but the furniture is old and we stayed in a room and heard a lot of noise in the street at night.Nest time we went to dublin this hotel will not be the first choise. Nevertheless the hotel offers a good Breakfast and has a good restaurant and its well located at dublin 4 at a nice neighborhood and its near from the city center just a 15 minutes walking
We only recommend this hotel because of the localization.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Having stayed the previous week in a smaller hotel close by, this one on paper seemed to offer a good deal but I was a bit let down unfortunately.

Reasonable standard of room but on the downside:

a) It was the hardest mattress I've ever slept on. Ever!
b) Unusual and expensive charging system for internet access.
c) No radio stations on the TV nor was there a radio to borrow
d) I reported that someone had been smoking on the 4th floor (not in my room thankfully), but reception did not feel it necessary send someone up to check it out, despite it being a no-smoking hotel with non-smoking rooms! Their response was 'Many guests ignore the signs!!!' They did offer me another room, but the point was that smoking in the hotel was being tolerated.
e) A deep, booming sound reverberated through the corridor when the lift doors opened and closed.

On top of that I had to ask for tea on two occassions as the bedroom staff failed to replenish the courtesy tray with tea bags even though it must have been obvious that I did not touch the coffee so I must have been using the tea.

Room Tip: Check that the room has not been smoked in before you accept the key.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ILP-JP
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear ILP-JP

Thanks for taking the time to write a review - your comments have been noted. We do take smoking in our hotel very seriously and there is a fine in place for anyone caught doing so. If this was not conveyed to you then I must apologise. I will discuss with our reception team immediately.

Kind regards

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed for two nights in the Towers part of the hotel. The rooms were large and well equipped but the decor was a bit tired. The room was perfectly clean but the paintwork needed freshening up. All of the staff I met were very courteous and helpful, in fact the staff were about the best I've met in Ireland. Breakfast was very poor. The sausages were deep fried and contained what looked like a 'white paste' instead of meat and the bacon was 50% fat. Very poor ingredients. Fruit salad was very basic. Breakfast service was fast and efficient though.

The hotel was acceptable but I would look for somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Look for a room in the Towers, they have air conditioning (if that's important to you).
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank cligereen

Dear cligereen

Thanks for your review. You'll be happy to know we are refurbishing our bedrooms this year. We're delighted you found are staff to be so friendly and helpful - we do take pride in our hospitality. I have noted your comments on breakfast and will speak to our Head Chef.

Kind regards