“weekend in Ballsbridge Hotel”
Review of Ballsbridge Hotel

Ranked #90 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Limerick, Ireland
“weekend in Ballsbridge Hotel”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have just spend a wonderful weekend at this hotel, and I must say that from my arrival to my departure it was my best experience ever in a hotel in Ireland or any other country that I stayed, the staff were always very helpful courteous,and helpful, the facilities at the hotel were first class,at breakfast the array of food for selection was first class, the bar had lots of character, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who would like there stay to be stress free, well done to all,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael Q
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Michael Q

Thanks for your positive feedback. We look forward to your next visit.

Ballsbridge Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Mansfield, Georgia
Reviewed December 10, 2012

we did a travel tour with sceptre tours and they put us up at the hotel. when we went to register they didnt take my coupon but gave me an attitude and said oh your prepaid your in the tower section over there pointed left gave the key and would not take my credit card so we could charge on the room or get a porter. It took a bit to find the room and there was no internet the room was not in good condition. ( the beds were saggy as were the chairs the iron board was torn the remote had no back to hold the batteries in and they were dead. they did come up and replaced the batteries so we could have some tv. I wasnt happy so we went to rolly's the local 4 star restauraunt which was amazing and we decided to spend no extra money at the hotel other than the E10.50 for parking.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the tower rooms go to another hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Shasta C

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Cork
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Oh dear, Firstly I must say every member of staff we met were lovely polite and professional, but that is about all it has going for it. Entrance and foyer nice and clean. Checked in room not cleaned back down to get another room. Got another one this one was clean but shabby and basic. Furniture chipped and marked, bathroom grubby grout icky and in need of replacing. Wallpaper pealing and the mattresses were stained and in need of a skip. Dinner in the dubliner pub was very basic. Poor selection and we ordered rib eye steaks. Steak, chips a half a tomato and a pile of rocket. My mothers came out with a nice sized portion of chips on the side mine came with 9 chips on my plate!! Desserts were lovely.
The breakfast the following morning was a bit hairy. Hotel was very quiet, went into the breakfast room, no staff, found our own table toasted our bread, went to get our breakfast....no plates, had to wait a good five minutes for a staff member to appear to ask for plates!!! rashers dried out and rock hard, black pudding horrible, sausages and scrambled egg nice, good selection of breads available. Check out was grand again staff were lovely.
Will we be back? No too many nicer hotels offering alot more for the same money.
Toilets in the hotel in the am were horrific.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CorkRedser
Dear CorkRedser

My apologies that you weren't happy with your stay. Please contact me directly on jclifton@ballsbridgehotel.com to discuss further.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed here over the weekend, we checked in on Friday evening, found the hotel pretty easy to find, and parked the car in the car park. We were checked in by a nice girl, but were asked to pay up front which is unusual for a hotel, but we did anyway. We got a room on 6th floor and when we got to the door, the card wouldn't work, but eventually it did, we entered the room and got the smell of stale cigarettes which turned our stomachs as we both are non smokers, we asked for a twin room and were given a double bed for 2 people. We rang reception and were changed to another room down the hall, next to the lifts.

We had dinner in the pub that night and got, a soup, steak, burger and salad and 2 drinks, and we were charged 58.00, this was a bit pricey for what we got.

We went back to the room, and went to bed or so we thought, we didn't get much sleep with the lifts on the go all night.

We had breakfast the following morning, which I can only comment as being terrible, the selection is very minimal, no yogurts, one type of egg in hot buffet which was inedible and waited about 15 mins before we had to ask for tea. It seemed all the staff wanted to do was clear and set tables. We had to ask for our table to be cleaned and to be set properly, which was missing cups and cutlery, which we were told that it was set properly. Not proper condiments on table either, had to go to another table to get some salt.

The bedrooms are very old style, and may need to be updated in my opinion, the bed valance was stained and dirty looking.

We checked out and I had gone out to pay for the car park, and put in my ticket, and 190.00 came up as the payment required, I nearly dropped dead, and went straight into reception and said it to the lady, to which she replied that was for non guests, and gave me a ticket to use to get out of the car park. But what met me on my way to the car will never leave me, we parked under trees in the car park as their were no other spaces, i got to my car, and was sickened by what i saw, my car was covered in seagull poo, I know this is not the hotel's fault, but seriously they should warn people this happens, I had to get my car washed it was that bad before we headed home, and mine wasn't the only car to be destroyed.

Overall my expierence of this hotel was not good, and I will not be returning as a guest.

Room Tip: Do not get a room by the lifts,.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Elizabeth186600
Dear Elizabeth186600

I'm disappointed to hear about your experience with us. In relation to your car, we have taken steps to try and fix this problem and we've had several owl decoys put in our trees to minimise birds nesting. If you wish to speak to me further please contact me directly on jclifton@ballsbridgehotel.com.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed here over the weekend of the 25th November to attend a conference. The room was fine, but at 129 euro for one person, this was expensive. Some of the staff at the reception are very friendly, and no how to help you. Others, especially the younger girls, were not so helpful. At check-in, I asked were Searson's pub was. "Jaysus I wouldn't have a clue," was the answer. It is in fact five minutes down the road, but she didnt bother to ask her colleagues, or type it into google. I was also asked to pay up front, because they had a lot of guests. Fine, but a little funny for a hotel.

At the price I paid, I would expect wifi to be free. It wasn't, so I rang reception for the code, and asked for it to be charged to my room. They wanted me to go all the way down with my credit card, just to preauthorise 7.50. I refused to do this, and eventually the offered me a free voucher.

Breakfast involved a long queue. Breakfast isnt free, you have to add it on, so my advice is not to bother, and go somewhere else.

There is no secure luggage area. The room provided is not monitored and is not locked. It is wide open to anyone who wonders in off the street to the hotel. A lovely welcoming sign reminds patrons of this. I asked to put my laptop behind reception - i got "the look" before the lady did me a huge favour and agreed to take it for safe keeping. Hardly the best service ever.

This hotel is tired. The bathroom was old, and the corridors leading to room 458 stink. They also have an interesting habit of leaving all the dirty linen from the rooms in the corridor all day long. There is an abundance of new, modern clean hotels, which charge the same money. Do not stay here - you will find some where nicer, for cheaper and in the same locality.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank lln1348
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear lln1348

I'm disappointed to hear you weren't satisfied with your stay. I will discuss your feedback immediately with our management team.

Dublin
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I organised two nights' accommodation and a conference dinner at the Ballsbridge Hotel for 55 conference speakers and delegates. The experience was excellent. Our delegates and speakers were delighted with the hotel. The Conference Dinner was particularly good - a delicious, four-course menu at an exceptionally reasonable rate. The service staff were particularly patient; some delegates were late for dinner due to parking issues, but the staff handled it very smoothly. Breakfast was really good - a buffet with enough choice for all tastes.
Our Conference was at UCD which made this location particularly convenient. Some of our speakers arrived before the conference and wanted to do some sightseeing. The hotel is very conveniently located to the city centre, so they were able to go into town very easily.
My sincere thanks to all the hotel staff, especially Ed in reservations, for the hard work and patience during our stay. I would highly recommend the hotel for this type of event.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MayoNiamh
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear MayoNiamh

Many thanks for your feedback and I'm delighted your stay and dinner met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The hotel is not too far from the city centre and is in a good safe area. The hotels in the city centre were too pricy, and so this was deal for us, as it was reasonably priced. Check in is at 2pm, however we arrived at 9am as we had an early flight. We decided to check with reception if our rooms were ready..(we had booked two rooms between three people). One of our rooms was ready and so we were allowed to check in early at no extra charge which was a relief. We were then told by reception that the other room was being cleaned and they would let us know when it was ready. We checked into one of the rooms, which was freezing, and after calling reception i was told that the central heating is only switched on twice a day..once in the morning an in the evening. They kindly said they would be happy to send up a portable heater. After waiting for three hours and four phone calls, I finally got the heater..The staff were all very friendly but I was not happy about the slow service..The shower in one room initially was not working but a staff member had a quick look and temporarily fixed it.

There are always taxis outside the hotel so it was very convenient. If there weren't, reception were happy to call one for you, which took just a couple of minutes. We took a taxi to the city centre quite a few times. It took about 5 minutes and cost from 8euros to 13euros. There is a bus stop opposite the hotel and also a train station near the hotel so again the hotel is located within easy reach of local attractions.

We did not have breakfast at the hotel so I cannot comment on that, however, we did visit the dubliner bar for drinks. The atmosphere is great bit the service is not.

Overall, the rooms of this hotel are clean, staff are friendly and it is a lively affordable hotel. I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not near to a lift, or else you will not have a good nights sleep!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear PriSach

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Dublin. Thanks for your detailed review.