“Friendly Dublin”
Review of Ballsbridge Hotel

Ballsbridge Hotel
Ranked #88 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My Daughter, Granddaughter and I stayed here for 6 nights while we were working at an Exhibition at the RDS. We were in the newer double room in the Tower. The fact that within a 5 minute walk you could eat Italian, Roast meal, Japanese, Thai, and wonderful fish at local restaurants was a delightful surprise. This is not within walking distance of the City Centre but a 10 minute bus trip for 3.80 € one way! The breakfast buffet was truly wonderful with very good food AND service. We would stay at this hotel again to eat at nightly at a choice from Roast, The Lobster Pot, Koishi, Baan Thai, and Al Boshetto. Be sure to get the Hotel to organise your Taxi transfers from the Airport. We got stung royally coming and treated like queens, and reasonably leaving!

Room Tip: In the Tower section!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 19LeslieM
Write a ReviewReviews (2,381)

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed in the Ballsbridge Hotel for 2 nights as I was doing the Dublin Marathon and this location was perfect. It is a nice hotel with friendly staff but perhaps a little dated. It was though good value for money and I will definitely be using it again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank BarleyBelfast
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for three nights recently at a modest €60 a night, having booked early, and were very pleased. This recently refurbished hotel has some of them trappings of it's glory days as a premier Dublin hotel such as spacious public areas and good sized rooms. The reception staff are helpful and professional and the full buffet breakfast is well priced at under €10. There is a coffee dock in the lobby for those who need a quick coffee instead of breakfast and it's good coffee. The location is excellent as it's on a bus route and taxis are plentiful outside the door. I would highly recommend this hotel as a place to stay for business, sightseeing, shopping trips or accity break.

Room Tip: Ask fir a room facing outwards towards the road
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrianCork
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here with my husband on the weekend of the Dublin marathon. The hotel is in a great location within walking sistance of the city center. The decor is old but the room was nice and clean. Breakfast was really nice and there was a good vibe about the hotel. My only mildly negative issue was how slow service in the bar was. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank cazzi123
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here in Sept for a two nights whilst attending a concert at the Aviva Stadium.

The hotel has a airport bus stop right outside the hotel. It's less that 5 minutes walk to the Aviva Stadium and about 20-30 minutes walk into the centre of Dublin.

Hotels public rooms are all nice, clean and fairly modern. Restaurant is large and serves a good buffet breakfast.

Rooms are fairly large, but are a bit tired. Alright for a couple of nights.

Staff were all friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marksmith34
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was the second time for my husband and I to stay at this hotel over the past month and the friendliness and helpfulness of staff was beyond my expectations. Having spent the day shopping, I was laden down with parcels when I checked in and the receptionist offered to have my shopping taken to my room. The room was warm, spacious and extremely comfortable with a huge bed and an ample amount of pillows. The bathroom was squeaky clean with plenty of towels and adequate toiletries.

Breakfast next morning left nothing to be desired. There was a great selection on the menu, ranging from fresh fruit, cereals, juices, bacon, sausages, eggs etc. Although very busy, we didn’t have to wait for a table as the staff worked diligently to ensure that we were quickly seated with the minimum of delay.

Dinner that evening was as good as it gets. The carrot soup was delicious and served piping hot and the main meal was beautifully presented followed by a scrumptious desert and coffee.

To finish, I would like to express our sincere thanks to Mr John Clifton and the staff at the hotel for making our stay such a memorable and pleasant one and we are looking forward to staying again in the very near future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erins-Isle22
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights for a short break. About 20 or 30 min walk to city, although number 4 or 7 buses are a regular service and take you to city in minutes for less than 2 euro. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised with the reception and foyer. We went up to our room on the 7th floor. Room was basic, but had everything we expected. We got into bed, the mattress was rock solid, not at all comfy, we asked for extra pillows too as these were flat as a pancake. The next morning was an early rise for some sightseeing - OH NO - the shower wasn't working. Went down to reception and asked to be moved so we could shower and get out into the city. We were moved after a bit of attitude from the receptionist. The 2nd room was ROASTING, but the shower worked!! Had a quick shower, made sure the heat was off, left window open then went out for the day. Returned to hotel, went to the Dubliner bar at the hotel. Ordered a cheese board, waited around 30 mins, asked twice when we would get it. After 50 mins asked them to cancel our order and we would go without. It was very busy, so these things sometimes can't be avoided. There was a band playing who were excellent though, and the waiting and bar staff were lovely. Off we went up to our (second) room. The heat was unbearable!! The bathroom floor was so hot you couldnt stand on parts of it. Called reception, she said turn off the heat - advised her the heat had been off all day and window open, tried to explain heat was coming from floor. She said there's nothing they can do. This was all a but much for me at bed time! Reluctantly she sent a porter to our room. Once in the room he said himself the heat wasn't bearable and he called the hotel manager. The manager was lovely and apologised for the issues and upgraded us to a larger room with king size bed. This room was fine, and not a million degrees. The porter and manager were really excellent and saved our stay by offering that gesture.
We would stay here again, only if we werent paying above the odds. It is an old hotel, and the decor is reflected in this.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank missewok
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear missewok

Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry you had issues during your stay with us but I'm glad our management team organised an upgrade for you. Our maintenance team are looking into the heating problems you described so we can get this resolved immediately.

Kind regards