“Wonderful new management team”
Review of Ballsbridge Hotel

Ranked #89 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I can't say enought about the wonderful new management team in the Ballsbridge hotel.I stayed here two years ago and was not impressed and I thought I would never stay again. I instead used the Burlington hotel nearby, but since the general manager John Clifton moved over to the Ballsbridge hotel I decided to give it one more try. Wow was I so surprised the whole experience was uplifting the beautiful new lobby was bright and modern and expensive looking and the refurbished Dubliner bar looks so terrific, and Dubliners are using the bar which is great because it gives authenticity to the place and a feeling of warmth and comfort and the food is really great you could spend all day enjoying your surroundings. While I was there the sun was shining and the whole atmosphere was terrific in the outside cafe bar terrace was packed with interesting people. Michelle the front office manager made my day when she checked me in at reception and could not have been more helpful during my stay. The level of professional service was so high that when I discovered Callum McBreen was the accommodation manager I told him so and he was thrilled with the feedback and Went out of his way in every way to make my stay a great experience. I would recommend this hotel to anyone planing a trip to Dublin. The hotel is in a fantastic location has a great management team and is terrific value and is in a beautiful upmarket part of town with beautiful architecture and gardens all around.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Hank H
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback and I'm delighted that our staff made your hotel stay such a great experience. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

As a regular business traveller to Dublin, I've stayed in many hotels in the D4 area and this one is a gem.

My first impression was how friendly the Staff were. A one-off ? No, it's been the same each time I stay, everyone you meet whether in reception or in the bar is friendly, courteous and genuinely makes you feel welcome. Very important to me, in some hotels you feel lost amongst the coach parties.

The rooms (I have only stayed in the Tower section) are spacious, well furnished and very clean. Good selection of clear TV channels and the usual tea/coffee, iron etc.

There's a great bar which has a nice choice of food and an outdoor area for us die hard smokers ! There's also a good restaurant which does offers. Dublin's not always the cheapest place to eat so this is great to see.

The location is also perfect, close to town, the O2 and the Aviva.

There is some refurbishment going on but it's unobtrusive.

All in all, I can't say a bad word about this place, it's fantastic value for the quality and service that you get.

Well done Ballsbridge Hotel, you've got it just right.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Chris S
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Room was hot and there was a terrible smell. Very old with stains on walls and furniture. Staff was somewhat helpful and did direct us into city center by bus. Easy to get back and only a short distance from st Stephan's and trinity. Bus fare of under 2euros. Liked the location. Hated the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gretchen M

I'm disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Could I ask you to contact me directly to discuss this further? My email is jclifton@ballsbridgehotel.com.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

The Ballsbridge hotel is within walking distance of many nice pubs and has an updated lobby. The rooms are undergoing renovation - fresh paint - and will hopefully include the bathrooms as they are a little dated, but very functional and clean. Our room had a flag with a spotlight on it that shown directly into our room at night that required us to completely shut the black-out drapes and unfortunately, shut out the fresh air, so beware of this and they also charge Euro 7.50/day for wifi, which I think is obnoxious. That said, it was nice place to stay for the rate we paid.

Room Tip: Stay above the 2nd floor - or away from a spotlight on a flag.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Maria L
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Our self drive tour set up our stay here for 2 nights. We had 2 rooms - party of 4. We thought we had 2 twin rooms ( 2 beds each room) booked for 2 nights.When we got there we were told each room had only one bed..and one room was only arranged for one night! I was irritated- very irritated, in fact- but I will admit that the staff went to work and fixed the reservations to our satisfaction -so I thought! Our large twin rooms (2 queen beds) were clean and pretty but no a/c. The TV remote wouldn't work and neither did the key card after the first use! Had to call reception for each thing. They were fixed quickly and pleasantly, as well. We had dinner in the Dubliner Pub both nights - great burgers! Breakfast in the dining room both morning was good, too.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank noella88
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

Thanks for your comments. I apologise that there was a mix up with your room and I'm glad everything was resolved and that you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

We stayed at the Ballsbridge Hotel on the last night of our vacation tour through Ireland. The staff was friendly and helpful, and on first look, the hotel looked clean and modern from the lobby. Unfortunately, our first room was very dated, and not clean to 4-star hotel standards. There was mold on the ceiling of the bathroom, and this second floor room was level with the roof on the first floor. With cigarette butts visible right outside the window, the room had clearly been smoked in, and there was little-no attempt to ensure the room was quality checked before the next guest checked in.

On request to the hotel staff, We were moved to the "tower" section, which was considered an upgrade after the desk staff apologized. This tower room could only be accessed after walking through the hallway for rooms on the first floor. The tower area also had no separate entry/exit which was quite inconvenient considering parking areas were adjacent to the newer tower section.

After inspecting the second room, all seemed OK, with typical appointments, and modernized tile bathroom. The TV, while newer LCD, was only 19" and quite small for the room. Deeper inspection found that underneath the sink there was open area that had mold/dust. This was clearly an issue with construction, and for this being a 4-star hotel, the finer details were clearly overlooked.

I was also very disappointed to find that while parking was on-site, hotel guests must pay for parking at a rate of 10.50 Euro/Day. Once you paid for the parking fee at the hotel desk, the desk staff exchanged the typical 'park card' with a paid card for exiting the park area. On exiting the second time, there was an issue with the card reader, and we were not allowed to exit without revisiting the front desk (We just drove out the bus entry/exit)

Additionally, Wireless internet was pay only at a rate of 7.50 Euro/Day. Compared to the other hotels in our itinerary, this is the first, and only hotel that charged an additional fee for internet service which was frustrating. With no other option, we purchased a 24 hour internet pass, with the ISP bitbuzz. This pass also worked in other public areas ie: Malls, and some restaurants that used the same service.

Lastly, this hotel was not near any shopping areas. We decided to drive into the city center for dinner and areas to shop.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chris12360763

Thanks for your comments. I'm disappointed to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us and I would be grateful if we could discuss this further. Please contact me on jclifton@ballsbridgehotel.com

Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

Great value, nice place, clean, good staff and a perfect location if you're on business in the Ballsbridge area. Bargain!

• Stayed: May 2012