“Disappointed”

Ranked #90 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Northbrook, Illinois
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

Very disappointing experience at this hotel. We arrived and they did not have our reservation even though I had a confirmation from my travel agent. They admitted that it was their mistake - they sometimes do not enter the reservation in their system. After waiting a half hour for them to resolve the problem I was given keys to the room. I asked where to park my car and was told where to go but was not given a card to get in the parking area so had to return to the desk. They told me the parking was 7.50 Euro. It was 10.00 Euro. The room was very basic. There was no amenities - not even a clock! It was clear that this hotel had seen better days. We had a problem with our room and waited an hour for maintenance to come. I had to call again and wait another half hour. Our room included dinner and breakfast. The dinner was just Ok. I ordered a class which was not included with the meal. I had given a credit card for incidentals when I checked in however the waitress said the account was closed out so my husband had to go up to the room to get cash. I complained to the desk and they blamed it on the waitress. They gave me a ticket for free parking. We asked if it was in and out and they said yes. It was not and the machine took our ticket. Breakfast was buffet style and was very good. These may have been the only plus of the whole experience. I definitely would NOT stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nancy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Cork
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel quite alot lately when travelling to Dublin with work. At €59 per room per night it is very reasonable and also conveniently located for my job. However I dont think a hotel should ever be allowed to cut corners on customer service simply because it offers discounted prices.

The rooms in this hotel are very dated and could do with a complete revamp, the showers are pre-historic and the beds are not at all comfortable.

My most recent visit here has completely turned me off every booking here again. I rang to make a reservation and was told they were doing a special offer of €59 room only or €60 B&B. So naturally for the sake of a euro I chose the B&B option.

For my breakfast all I ordered was two paoched eggs and bacon. The poached eggs were rubbery, cold and the yoke was hard. The bacon was thin, greasy and overcooked. When I complained to the server in the breakfast room about this I was simply told 'Well what do you expect for a Euro Mam' !!!!!

Never again - I would prefer to pay extra for decent service and quality food!

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rebel_county_girl

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Kildare, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Hotel is situated in a very central area, close to town yet convenient to all the attractions in Ballsbridge and the coast. It is a hotel that has not been worked on for many years as it was supposed to be knocked down, but due to a lot of flooding last October, the lobby and ground floor had to be renovated to let the hotel be open for business. On initial viewing it looks very well and the receptionist was very friendly and helpful. Key card did not work for my first room so she changed my room as she thought the lock might be faulty. Room was on the 4th floor and it had the smallest double bed ever, as myself and my husband were staying for one night we thought it would manage but we found the bed extremely uncomfortable and noisy, one movement by either of us and the springs started! There is no Air Conditioning and due to a recent hot spell (quite unusual for Ireland), the room was like a sauna, even with the window open. There is a chain latch on the window so it can only be opened slightly for health and safety I presume but it meant that there was very little air getting into the room. The TV was a large old one, the hairdryer had been taken from the wall but the unit had been left, and there was no table even though there was one chair in a space that looked like it should have another chair and a table! Room was dusty and old fashioned in it's decor. Bathroom had a low sided bath with the shower overhead which was not very strong but had no problems with the water temperature. Did not have breakfast and for €68 it was a reasonable price to pay but during sporting events and high season I definitely would not want to pay much more than that as the room should not command more. Would only stay again for convenience of location so unless the do up the rooms soon think they will lose repeat business. Stay in the Berkeley hotel which is right beside it as the standard of room is higher but the price is usually the same.

Room Tip: Ask them for an upgraded room as they are doing renovation work at the moment
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dermotswoman
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

This was my SEVENTH stay at this hotel and i have always been happy with this hotel... Firstly I have to say what I look for on my stays in Dublin is somewhere to put my head at night..mostly my trips are based on nights out, going to concerts, girlie weekends etc... I was suprised when I arrived for our stay.. the hotel has been nicely renovated on the ground floor (due to a flood last year) so it is mostly the ground floor which has been updated. With it the hotel has taken away everything I loved about it, the pizza parlour, the hair dressers, the shop, the coffee dock. Our stay was perfect, the staff were all lovely.. we ate in the bar twice and everyone was happy with their meals... prices were reasonable and portion sizes were huge. I have no complaints we had a lovely stay.. I just wish they bring back the best bits of the hotel ( well what i consider the best bits) :)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mail4ter
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

Yes - the location is away from the heart of this sort of charmless city (Cork is way nicer)...but that's just the part of this hotels issues.

Car park (btw...do NOT drive in Dublin) charges and stale linen get there before the location. On the plus side we encounterted a very helpful man at front desk.

I would not recommend this hotel; but again...maybe we just hit it on a bad day (it was very busy.)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jarleth H
Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

I'm a pretty no frills traveler - all I require is "safe and clean". The hotel was safe, but cleanliness is an issue. Mold on the bathroom walls, peeling paint from the ceilings, broken telephone, stained blanket, and a mattress that was stained by something that could have been blood or old coffee (I only discovered this as I was checking out!). The heater rattled loudly at night, and there is noise from the street. The walls are thin, and I was woken every night by other guests in the hallway or in their rooms.

The hotel is quite a walk to city center (about 20-25 minutes), which can be hard if you are the kind of traveler who likes to put your feet up for part of the day.

The property is in massive need of refurbishing. You can tell the hotel was once very lovely (perhaps in the early 90s), but has not been cared for much since then. I would not stay here again. I was not sad to leave.

On the neutral side, the bed is quite firm. That's great if you like firm beds. It's not great if you prefer soft beds.

On the positive side, I will say the staff was very nice and kind.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SuezqBoston_MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

Having booked in to this hotel with Sergio the most ignorant member of staff I have ever met, I knew it was going to be a long night. The hotel is fine after that but I advise their management to get rid of this member of staff or they will suffer in the future,,what an ignorant person

• Stayed February 2012